• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scriptures of The Day: 39

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I am now working my way through the epistles, from Romans all the way to Jude (missing out Acts, Revelation, and the Gospels)

I will make any notable scripture I come across the subject of my daily Scripture of The Day!

In My Opinion:

Romans 1:5, 1:16
New American Standard Bible

5 through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles in behalf of His name,

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

In this scripture, Paul is referring to Jesus Christ - in a letter to the Christians in Rome

He is claiming to be a direct representative of him

And says that the mission Christ gave him is to spread the faith amongst the gentiles (as opposed to the Jews)

So, basically he is saying "Jesus has sent me to convert the gentiles!"

Paul is attempting to involve the Christians of Rome in this endeavour

Clearly he thinks of Christianity as being distinct from Judaism although he believes he can extend salvation from Christ's sacrifice to the Jews, who he says would be saved were they to believe - to have faith

So he is also mentioning justification by faith!