• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scripture of The Day: Day 8

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Merry Christmas!

This is the ninth instalment of Scripture of The Day!

And it is the first time I have a look at scripture from the Old
Testament

Why not check out my blog/website? Edward's Mission

In My Opinion:

Jeremiah 10:1-5: Good News Translation

People of Israel, listen to the message that the Lord has for you. 2 He says,
“Do not follow the ways of other nations;
do not be disturbed by unusual sights in the sky,
even though other nations are terrified.

The religion of these people is worthless.
A tree is cut down in the forest;
it is carved by the tools of the woodworker

and decorated with silver and gold.
It is fastened down with nails
to keep it from falling over.

Such idols are like scarecrows in a field of melons;
they cannot speak;
they have to be carried
because they cannot walk.
Do not be afraid of them:
they can cause you no harm,
and they can do you no good.”

I think this passage is more or less self-explanatory!

But I have selected it because today is Christmas Day:

It begins with God The Father telling people to shun astrology (“useful sights in the sky”) even though according to scripture when Jesus was born God put a star over Bethlehem to attract star-gazing wise-men…

It then calls their religion worthless and basically describes what we modern people can recognise as a Christmas tree!

And to finish, he says that idols are worthless and powerless and in themselves can do no harm or good.

The author of this text is clearly associating Christmas trees with pagan religions! He is clearly saying that Christmas trees are something that other people do - not what people of God do. He clearly considers the practice alien and un-Godly.

There is therefore scripture in the Holy Bible that disapproves of the practice of erecting Christmas trees! Although it doesn’t mention at what point in the year, or on what occasion for which the trees mentioned were festooned.

Holy scripture clearly states that getting a tree and then decorating it is ungodly

But of course, that doesn't make them anti-God - so it should be still OK for Christians to have Christmas trees. But there can be no pretence that they are a part of any religious Christian celebration.

My favourite Christmas song:

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
Merry Christmas!

This is the ninth instalment of Scripture of The Day!

And it is the first time I have a look at scripture from the Old
Testament

In My Opinion:

Jeremiah 10:1-5: Good News Translation

People of Israel, listen to the message that the Lord has for you. 2 He says,
“Do not follow the ways of other nations;
do not be disturbed by unusual sights in the sky,
even though other nations are terrified.

The religion of these people is worthless.
A tree is cut down in the forest;
it is carved by the tools of the woodworker

and decorated with silver and gold.
It is fastened down with nails
to keep it from falling over.

Such idols are like scarecrows in a field of melons;
they cannot speak;
they have to be carried
because they cannot walk.
Do not be afraid of them:
they can cause you no harm,
and they can do you no good.”

I think this passage is more or less self-explanatory!

But I have selected it because today is Christmas Day:

It begins with God The Father telling people to shun astrology (“useful sights in the sky”) even though according to scripture when Jesus was born God put a star over Bethlehem to attract star-gazing wise-men…

It then calls their religion worthless and basically describes what we modern people can recognise as a Christmas tree!

And to finish, he says that idols are worthless and powerless and in themselves can do no harm or good.

The author of this text is clearly associating Christmas trees with pagan religions! He is clearly saying that Christmas trees are something that other people do - not what people of God do. He clearly considers the practice alien and un-Godly.

There is therefore scripture in the Holy Bible that disapproves of the practice of erecting Christmas trees! Although it doesn’t mention at what point in the year, or on what occasion for which the trees mentioned were festooned.

Holy scripture clearly states that getting a tree and then decorating it is ungodly

But of course, that doesn't make them anti-God - so it should be still OK for Christians to have Christmas trees. But there can be no pretence that they are a part of any religious Christian celebration.

My favourite Christmas song:

Jer 10:1-5 looks like it is describing making a piece of wood into an idol. It is nothing to do with Christmas trees.
But if people feel it is wrong to celebrate Christmas then they should not celebrate it.