• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scripture of the Day: 40

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Romans 1:18

New American Standard Bible

Unbelief and Its Consequences

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,

@Jayhawker Soule has pointed out to me on another thread that “the church fathers”, who compiled the New Testament and set the tone for how the established church behaved for centuries had an anti-semitic agenda. This scripture is I believe referring to the Jewish spiritual authorities as they were at the time of Paul, who clearly disapproved of the moment that was to become Christianity.

I believe that influenced how it would heave been understood during the earlier days of the established church (and sadly beyond those earliest of days), after it was established as the official religion of the Roman Empire: That God wants to visit his wrath on to non-Christians. During the time of the church fathers there were no pagans in Rome and Islam was yet to emerge, so to the Christian audience of that time this passage could only have been referring to the Jews. And across the Empire there was a great Jewish diaspora. To whom they would have applied this scripture in their hearts and minds.

I believe that in its history Christianity went through an anti-Semitic phase. I do not believe the original movement was anti-Semitic and I believe that the majority of contemporary Christians are not anti-Semitic. But yes, Christianity can be and has been anti-Semitic.

If I thought Christianity was against the Jews then I would not be a Christian. It’s as simple as that. But that is not what Jesus is about - quite the opposite.

I believe that anti-semitism is a strain of “ungodliness” and “unrighteousness” so that we can apply the words of this scripture to the anti-semitism of the church fathers. I believe the wrath of God will be visited on all those who persecute and hate other groups for their ethnicity or faith. Because that's the kind of God I believe in.

Christianity was once itself persecuted, so it should have known better. But I don’t believe the bigotry so clearly exhibited by the church fathers and those like them can be imputed onto the account of the majority of contemporary Christians. But it is a part of our tradition, and as a follower of Jesus of Nazareth (a Jew) that saddens me greatly.

All this brings to my mind Gandhi who famously said: “I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ”

In my future exploration of NT scripture I shall bear all this in mind.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I believe that in its history Christianity went through an anti-Semitic phase. I do not believe the original movement was anti-Semitic and I believe that the majority of contemporary Christians are not anti-Semitic. But yes, Christianity can be and has been anti-Semitic.

The history of Christianity is full of folks who treated others with enormous thoughtfulness and kindness. But that thread was not about "What Would Some Christians Do - WWSCD". It was about whether or not WWJD is a sufficient guideline. My point was that a very large number of presumed Jesus experts held some rather despicable views concerning WWJD, and the execution of that understanding was, in far too many cases, an execution in every sense of the word, with Jews being far from the main victim of their theocracy. In fact, historically speaking, WWJD seems to have shown itself to be unpredictable if not dangerous in the extreme.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Clearly then God's blessing is Not upon this present wicked system - Romans 1:18-20
So, those who live ungodly lives will Not escape bad consequences for bad conduct.
Against such people the message about God's kingdom ( thy kingdom come...) is like a plague to them.
Because God has Not forgotten His original purpose, His will for Earth to be a beautiful paradisical Earth is why those who reject godliness will Not be allowed to dominate Earth, only upright people will be here - Proverbs 2:21-22; Matthew 25:37.

Pilgrim Soldier

Romans 1:18

New American Standard Bible

Unbelief and Its Consequences

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,

@Jayhawker Soule has pointed out to me on another thread that “the church fathers”, who compiled the New Testament and set the tone for how the established church behaved for centuries had an anti-semitic agenda. This scripture is I believe referring to the Jewish spiritual authorities as they were at the time of Paul, who clearly disapproved of the moment that was to become Christianity.

I believe that influenced how it would heave been understood during the earlier days of the established church (and sadly beyond those earliest of days), after it was established as the official religion of the Roman Empire: That God wants to visit his wrath on to non-Christians. During the time of the church fathers there were no pagans in Rome and Islam was yet to emerge, so to the Christian audience of that time this passage could only have been referring to the Jews. And across the Empire there was a great Jewish diaspora. To whom they would have applied this scripture in their hearts and minds.

If I thought Christianity was against the Jews then I would not be a Christian. It’s as simple as that. But that is not what Jesus is about - quite the opposite.

I believe that anti-semitism is a strain of “ungodliness” and “unrighteousness” so that we can apply the words of this scripture to the anti-semitism of the church fathers. I believe the wrath of God will be visited on all those who persecute and hate other groups for their ethnicity or faith. Because that's the kind of God I believe in.

Christianity was once itself persecuted, so it should have known better. But I don’t believe the bigotry so clearly exhibited by the church fathers and those like them can be imputed onto the account of the majority of contemporary Christians. But it is a part of our tradition, and as a follower of Jesus of Nazareth (a Jew) that saddens me greatly.

All this brings to my mind Gandhi who famously said: “I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ”

In my future exploration of NT scripture I shall bear all this in mind.
Romans 1:18 applies to all ungodly people (not just the Jews).

God's wrath against unbelievers is just as hot today as it was 2000 years ago. Christians have always been persecuted, there's never been a time when Christians could worship God in peace. Today Christians are persecuted and executed in large numbers, at least 800 Christians are executed per month and many more thousands are persecuted.

Christians have always been the most hated people in the world, Jesus promised His followers that they would be persecuted and killed for His name's sake.
The ungodly people have always prospered, while Christians have always suffered. God punishes the unbelievers by giving them what they want, and that leads them to hell where they will be tormented in fire forever.