• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scriptural Prophecies

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
To insinuate that a certain religion is better because it's literature can predict the future. Not a convincing argument, in my opinion, as ther's really no proof. Take Bahai for instance. They interpret scripture and find so called 'prophecy' to say that they all predicted the coming of their particular prophet. So that's the agenda. In my view, there are far better ways to evaluate the legitimacy of a faith.
Not just that, Vinayaka. Whenever someone claims to be closer to the gods or to be able to predict things they are making themselves influential. That is enough of an agenda all by itself, and the religious aspect can be secondary. If I can convince you that I am better than you at interpreting the moods of the gods or of God then that gives me, a stranger or a perhaps a worthless person, some worth in your eyes. Maybe you will give me food or political power. Perhaps I will get a slave out of it or money or love. Its about you, my mark, and about what I can get from you. What do you have? Whatever that is, I can try to get it by impressing you with my powers.

Ponder This

I was kinda following you until I got to Trump. Dont know if your correlations are objective. There a lot of history in the bible that is also and parrellels (not fortells) events today. Interesting history outside the bihle but no fulfillment of prophecy. WW1? Thats a stetch. Trump even more so.

Prophecies requested? I'll leave this little tidbit here:
He Predicted Trump Would Be President 6 Years Ago, Here's Why This Prophet Says Trump Is in for Two Terms
Believe what you will.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not just that, Vinayaka. Whenever someone claims to be closer to the gods or to be able to predict things they are making themselves influential. That is enough of an agenda all by itself, and the religious aspect can be secondary. If I can convince you that I am better than you at interpreting the moods of the gods or of God then that gives me, a stranger or a perhaps a worthless person, some worth in your eyes. Maybe you will give me food or political power. Perhaps I will get a slave out of it or money or love. Its about you, my mark, and about what I can get from you. What do you have? Whatever that is, I can try to get it by impressing you with my powers.

A person and his ability to think are soon parted, lol.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Right now we're memorizing a lot of christian art from the Early Roman Empire, Late Empire, we started on the Medieval Period. A lot of facts. Here is an example (attached)

Interesting that before the Church, jesus was pictured more humble. When The Romans started making their art, they changed jesus to look more judging. What's interesting is that some christians today see jesus as judging the living and the dead. I keep thinking that history is behind us; it isn't.

There is definitely a profound change that occurred within Christendom once worldly power was possessed. I suppose that's an inevitability with any faith and most people too.

Most Christian art centres round the biblical stories though. Leonardi De Vinci's 'the last supper' being an example.

350px-Leonardo_da_Vinci_-_Last_Supper_%28copy%29_-_WGA12732.jpg

Pretty much. The history we're looking at is not spiritual. If anything, in how I see the world, it's very immoral. I don't see love in christianity. That's probably something that gain interest over time to modern day. I'm sure the Romans didn't feel the same about the love we speak of today. I don't know how the Jews define the word in relation to god.

I think its good to look at history as it is, rather than trying to fit it into a belief system. History has its heros and villians of course. Some of the most outstanding people in history have been Christian and their love and devotion have inspired many. Here's a couple of recent examples that have inspired me:

Nelson Mandela

nelson-mandela-28.jpg

Rosa Parks

rosa-parks-9433715-1-402.jpg

Um. Some things are literal others are not. Those that are not in that day was considered literal. Mythology such as the pantheon dedicated to Athena and all the gods were not symbolic. Just as today, there are religious who believe in multiple gods who do very interesting things you'd think they believe its symbolism; they do not. Hard to wrap my head around; but, since I don't follow any of these beliefs, it's easier to say "that's what they believe" and leave it be.

I think we are agreed that some beliefs are literal, others symbolic. The details of which ones fit which box are another story.:)

It is a christian thing all throughout the bible. There is no reason to save "his chosen people" if he felt all people were in the same boat. There'd be no special people. No "Jews" in the religious sense of the word. I use that because that's what Jesus taught. If there was no me vs. them (to me it's a moral issue; it's not bad in and of itself) there'd be no reason to save people. Divinity would not have religions. No manifestations vs. humans. No prophets vs. pagans. No need to teach the good gospel to those who have not heard. No need to be a disciple of Baha'ullah rather than a Hindu or a Pagan if all were on one level and there wasn't a code of morality in Christianity and other faiths.

It's not attractive to me, though. Doesn't mean its wrong in and of itself. I can't learn from separating myself from humanity as "these of man" type of thing. No prophets. No manifestation. All egalitarian.

The Jews are where Abrahamic belief as we know it begun and it remains to be seen whether their example will provide the redemption that humanity so badly needs.

Are you still practicing Buddhism?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hmm.
There is definitely a profound change that occurred within Christendom once worldly power was possessed. I suppose that's an inevitability with any faith and most people too.
Never did like the word christiandom. To tell you honestly, I dont consider christianity purely about christ. Its a compilation of many thoughts-greek, ephesians, of course roman, some pagans I cant think of the right name of the different pagan countries at the moment. Its the apostles teachings. If I wanted to know christ, Id ask him personally.

Most Christian art centres round the biblical stories though. Leonardi De Vinci's 'the last supper' being an example
I can see that. There are older depictions of the lords supper. A lot actually.

I think we are agreed that some beliefs are literal, others symbolic. The details of which ones fit which box are another story.:)
Yep. I guess we leave out which is which for now ;)

The Jews are where Abrahamic belief as we know it begun and it remains to be seen whether their example will provide the redemption that humanity so badly needs.

Are you still practicing Buddhism?

Actually, no. I know Buddhism is true and facts. Just the practice is very hard to see spiritual development. I do most my meditations through art. If I were dogmatic about it, The Buddha didnt teach art as a method of enlightenment. Since its not a book religion, I guess there is a learning curve. I wish I had a teacher rather than books. Focus more on correct practice rather than correct knowledge. Once I graduate in May, I can go back to the temple near me and have more interactions there.

james dixon

Premium Member
.,.,.Reality its self is coded in such a way it educates us by its principles; religions generally lead us away from God, into man-made objections to things.

In my opinion. :innocent:

And in my opinion without "religion" the term "God" would not have ever been spoken and we would be left to find our won way blindfolded

:)-

Last edited:

james dixon

Premium Member
Just tell the truth when asked---------
& follow the "Ten Commandments"

My mother made sure that I knew the “Ten Commandments”.

Now that I know them as of:

8:60 PM
03/30/2018

; there are several I have no business comply with.

Ten Commandments

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fa-thers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy man-servant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

5. Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

6. Thou shalt not kill. (murder)

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

8. Thou shalt not steal.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ***, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

Now that I have just read my cut and paste; In the “Ten Commandments” I find nothing that is not in other religions one way or another.

As I see it

What say you? :)-

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
What prophecies have been fulfilled?
The biggest prophecies fulfilled is the Great Deception; which is that John, Paul, and Simon are all made up, and they've mislead the whole world to believe a Covenant with Death.

Though all of this is precisely ordained to remove all the ungodly from the world, as they prove their ravenous beings covered in innocent blood, by their own declaration to follow it (Revelation 16:6).

The idea that there is a church built on bloodshed (Habakkuk 2, Zechariah 5, Revelation 17), is prove we're down near Hell, and some people don't use the knowledge of the differences between good and evil.
And in my opinion without "religion" the term "God" would not have ever been spoken and we would be left to find our won way blindfolded
Reality is within God; therefore religious traditions have become a way to lead those who don't discern, in the complete opposite direction.

james dixon

Premium Member
.,.,.,.,.Reality is within God; therefore religious traditions have become a way to lead those who don't discern, in the complete opposite direction.

I tried to find the date when the Ten Commandments were written and came up empty handed. Never the less, the Ten Commandments provided great guidance to those who read it and most specifically to those who obeyed the words written.

Even today, most of the Ten Commandments has been put into "Law" by most countries. Setting aside the biblical context, the words speak for themselves.

in my view :)-

Ten Commandments

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fa-thers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy man-servant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

5. Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

6. Thou shalt not kill. (murder)

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

8. Thou shalt not steal.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ***, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.