• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scotland votes to end exports of tear gas and rubber bullets to the U.S.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Scotland votes to call for end to UK exports of tear gas and rubber bullets to US

Scotland's parliament on Thursday voted to call for an end to the U.K.'s exports of tear gas to the U.S. as authorities around the country have used the chemical substance to respond to protests in response to the death of George Floyd.

The Independent reported that lawmakers voted 52 to 0 with 11 abstentions to pass a motion with an amendment calling on the British government to officially ban the exports, while also calling for the construction of a museum to address Scotland's history of racism and slavery.

"The Black Lives Matter movement has been inspiring and it needs to be heard right around the world: that racism exists in this country as well," said Patrick Harvie, the Green Party lawmaker who sponsored the amendment.

I didn't even know we imported tear gas and rubber bullets from Scotland.

Harvie went on to accuse the U.S. of being a "racist state" that was using tear gas and rubber bullets to "brutalize marginalized communities."

So, what will the police do if they can't use tear gas and rubber bullets? They might go back to using dogs and water cannons.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's not Scotland-specific, and it's not binding. The Scottish Parliament is asking the British Parliament to ban the export of these items to the US from the entire UK.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Scotland votes to call for end to UK exports of tear gas and rubber bullets to US

I wouldn't have known that's where the US sourced them from, but it makes sense. Rubber Bullets were first used in Northern Ireland, and they weren't shy about shooting them. Their potential lethality is well proven there.

I do wonder if it might not make more sense for them to simply stop manufacturing them altogether...

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Are you suggesting that every use of them has been in direct response to rioting and throwing **** at the police?

Are you just trying to muddy the water? Someone has already mention the use of more vicious or even fatal means of crowd control if the authorities didn't have these tools.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
People could always try not rioting and throwing **** at the police and then they have no reason to use either the tear gas or the rubber bullets.
Police could grow a backbone and not use teargas and rubber bullets on protesters throwing paper planes made of resignation letters over a fence.
Or for no reason at all at journalists and people getting their groceries or just trying to cross the street and so on and so forth.

The victim blaming only enables more unnecessary escalation by police.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

So, what will the police do if they can't use tear gas and rubber bullets? They might go back to using dogs and water cannons.
Knowing our love with technology, it'll be overhead drones with tasers operated remotely by somebody outsourced from India.

I'll bet made in China II to boot. !O)

Incidentally maybe the Scots can just send us over some bagpipes and haggis.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
they could quietly ask for your ID
and then call your bank
charge you for the offense more directly

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you just trying to muddy the water? Someone has already mention the use of more vicious or even fatal means of crowd control if the authorities didn't have these tools.

I'm not trying to muddy anything. Quite the opposite.
How the heck is my question muddying anything?

It was a request for clarification. Sounded to me like the suggestion was that rubber bullets were only used in cases where civilians attacked police. That matches the rules of engagement in place in Northern Ireland where they were used.

But I don't believe that has been the case in the US.

And Northern Ireland proved that rubber bullets can be fatal.
(17 deaths attributed to them)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
throw a yellow flag at you with a court date on it
if you refuse to pick it up
you get tasered

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
People could always try not rioting and throwing **** at the police and then they have no reason to use either the tear gas or the rubber bullets.
There's never a reason to use chemicals weapons. Its use is a war crime for a reason; it's even less reasonable against civilians.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yep. If the cops weren't able to fire "less lethal" weapons at these people standing on their porch trying to figure out what was going on, they would have had to shoot them with bullets.

o_O

‘Light ‘Em Up!’: Video Appears To Show Law Enforcement Shooting Paint Rounds At Mpls. Residents On Their Porch