• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientology - living with it

Carl

Rather than court the usual critiscms and links to Xenu, Clambrake, etc etc, I would like to hear from others out there who may have a spouse, partner etc who is a scientologist and how they deal (handle!) with it. There is very little information on the experiences of those who loved one is a scientologist. The common thinking is that scientologists do not look outside their religion for partners, well not in my case. I am a skeptic of the highest order, an aetheist but hopefully open minded enough to recognise that others find comfort in religion. My partner is perhaps unusual in scientology circles in that I do not see the blinkered and obsessive fanatiscm that is written about, I would like to hear from others in similar situations.
If I had believed everything bad written about scientology I would of missed out on the love of my life. Don't get me wrong I'm not about to connect myself up to an E meter and pay a fortune for the priviledge. I do not consider that I require that kind of help, but perhaps there are more moderate Scientologists out there than the press would have you believe who are open to more ideas than just LRH's.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hi, Carl!

Just noticed this was your first post here, and wanted to welcome you to our forums. :) If you'd like, feel free to introduce yourself here, so we can give you a proper RF greeting.

Again, welcome!

Ankou

Spiritually Lost
My Fiance is a Scientologist. He is just as normal as the next person. I used to have a bit of a problem with the thought of all the money that he would be spending on his religion, but after thinking about it, I realized that other churches have Tithings and offerings of all sorts, and they are required some times. In Scientology everything is voluntary. I think that this religion is portrayed very badly over the internet etc. They are good people for the most part, like any other religion, they have the "bad ones" but are mostly good. I think living with a scientologist is no different than living with someone of any other faith.

I hope this was helpful, I don't know if that's what you were looking for. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Carl,
Welcome to RF.
Am sure you will find anything you are looking for?
If the search is serious enough.
Love & rgds

My Fiance is a Scientologist. He is just as normal as the next person. I used to have a bit of a problem with the thought of all the money that he would be spending on his religion, but after thinking about it, I realized that other churches have Tithings and offerings of all sorts, and they are required some times. In Scientology everything is voluntary. I think that this religion is portrayed very badly over the internet etc. They are good people for the most part, like any other religion, they have the "bad ones" but are mostly good. I think living with a scientologist is no different than living with someone of any other faith.

I hope this was helpful, I don't know if that's what you were looking for. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

I think that's very helpful to people and it's great you gave your perspective since you know someone first hand who is a Scientologist. I am a Scientologist myself too.

Last edited:

Luke

överens med, averybody talk abaout th e money but people give to there church. Scientology i s a religion and people give money to there religion. the church is voluntary hur du säga, to get clear. people who dont like Scientology always try to make it different becuase they dont know anything abaout it.

A couple in my family is in Scientology.

They sold their business and went to the US for a while, came back without funds. Then managed to get on their feet again, but their hope to invest in a career in Scientology had not worked. They finally left Scientology, but still adhere to the same beliefs; they claim that after HUbbard's death the wrong people got in charge or something like that.

They recently have very difficult times, the male partner has had a severe stroke and she is looking after him. This created a lot of tension in the family. They previously had very unorthodox views against health care, and medication. He knew he had very high blood pressure and was urged to take something against it a couple of times by a physician friend of the family, who on one occasion popped around from work and out of fun measured everybody blood pressure. There is a lot of tension in the family because of the diverging views. I find this quite unfair - it is very difficult for her and she needs everybody's support. It is wrong to expect from her to change views and say, oh it's all our own fault. It is just natural that she sticks more to their beliefs in crisis times. She thinks wrongly it's largely the doctors fault. The initial stroke wasn't that bad, but according to her the doctors put him "on drugs" (when they put him under anaeshthesia for surgery that saved his life), which then aggravated the situation. The typical scientology believe, the worst things in your life happen when you are unconscious because intoxicated. This prevented him from freely deciding whether he wanted to leave this body and become reincarnated or continue living severly paralysed. Not my view of things, but this gives her the strength to care for him. I think she does a great job.

Magus Phoenix

I'm a Scientologist, and my girlfriend is a Christian. I've let her read several of the books so that she would understand a bit about my religion, but she thinks that Scientology is insane and just won't discuss religion with me. We have a great relationship otherwise, and we don't let our religious differences get in the way of our love.