• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientology leader David Miscavige saw psychology as a threat.

Does Scientology view psychology as a threat? Do all religions view science as a threat? I can’t say they all do, but to a large extent , religion views science as a rival.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It's because Dianetics is a pseudo-science that the con artist, Hubbard, wanted to replace mainstream psychology and psychiatry. Please don't lump in Scientology with religion in general. It's a corrupt cult and a scam.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Does Scientology view psychology as a threat? Do all religions view science as a threat? I can’t say they all do, but to a large extent , religion views science as a rival.
Elrond Hubbard had a real bug up his **** about psychiatry. If you've ever tried to read Dianetics (Hint: Don't. Seriously) he goes on and on about it. David Miscarriage is just following Elrond's script.

danieldemol

Premium Member
... Do all religions view science as a threat? I can’t say they all do, but to a large extent , religion views science as a rival.
I’m not sure to what extent religion views science as a threat, but it appears to me that for many religions science is a threat, even if it is not perceived that way by its adherents.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m not sure to what extent religion views science as a threat, but it appears to me that for many religions science is a threat, even if it is not perceived that way by its adherents.
Well, everyone on here is using a computer or a phone :grin:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Those who wish to grift people look for the vulnerable. People with mental illness is one such group several organizations target. The elderly is another, especially where elderly and infirm overlap. The grieving are another. In my opinion lots of religions and non-religious organizations which focus on making money easily and unethically will not only target them, but try to isolate them from people who might catch wise, like their psychologists and concerned friends and family. I don't believe it has anything actually to do with science or even religion. It's all about money.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As a general rule of thumb, the more fundamentalist the religion, the fewer members of it you will find employed in the sciences. Although Scientology is more scam than religion, it is closer to a fundamentalist religion in most respects than otherwise.

epronovost

There is a difference between techonology and science; one is a group of intellectual disciplines and the other a product of it. Even then, many religious groups dislike technology and have tried to push back advances they perceived threatening to their values and way of life. Medecine was often seen as rejecting deities as the source of all healing and master of death; astronomy and physics are sometime perceived as threatening to cosmology; psychology, sociology, economy and anthropology to dogma. Right now, many religious groups have concerns over in vitro fertilisation, cloning, abortion, contraceptives, eugenics and I even saw a little bit of concerns over the ethic of artificial intelligence. Religion in general, today, is definitely a conservative force for better or worse.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Yes, scientology does view psychology asa problem. Also, scientology has nothing to do with science. And it's mostly contemporary Christianity and Islam that have followers who turned rabidly anti-science. Scientology is really just an abusive scam and cult--practically a criminal organization--who takes uses freedom of religion to get away with their criminal behaviors.

The more I think about it, it seems like DM was attempting to topple psychology and completly replace it with dianetics via world revolution. Scientology has aims to pass off Hubbards work as a science replacement.

A war over mental health professionalism: Scientology versus psychiatry

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
No. In fact you mostly have religious people to thank for modern science.

That could also be rephrased as "you mostly have people to thank for modern science".

In a lot of cases, progress in science wasn't made "thanks to" religion but rather "in spite of it".
And that still continues to this day.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

While being in full blown denial of the science that made them possible, as it's the same science (at least in part) that underpins things like for example radio-metric testing and they insist on the world being only 6000 years old.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That could also be rephrased as "you mostly have people to thank for modern science".

In a lot of cases, progress in science wasn't made "thanks to" religion but rather "in spite of it".
And that still continues to this day.
No, religious people expected to find scientific laws because they believed in a law giver. They expected to find design because they believed in a designer.

This atheist nonsense is just that. Believe it or not, religious people are smarter than people like you often give them credit for.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
While being in full blown denial of the science that made them possible, as it's the same science (at least in part) that underpins things like for example radio-metric testing and they insist on the world being only 6000 years old.
You do realise this is not every religious person's belief right?