• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientists Are Reincarnating the Woolly Mammoth to Return in 4 Years

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know what will happen when wooly
mammoths return to Russia...
vladimir-putin-riding-a-mammoth-95456.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Are they? To quote a funny man, I'll believe that when me **** turns purple amd smells like rainbow sherbert.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Maybe, just maybe, doing things like this will be like opening pandora's box
That what has me concerned. Waking up that 36000 year old virus should have been an alarm bell.

Sometimes i think ancient dead things might be better left dead.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Good ideal or not?

"Scientists Are Reincarnating the Woolly Mammoth to Return in 4 Years
  • Colossal recently added $60 million in funding to move toward a 2027 de-extinction of the woolly mammoth.
  • The Dallas-based company is now working to edit the genes for the reincarnation of the mammal.
  • Colossal planned to reintroduce the woolly mammoth into Russia, but that may shift.
The long-dead woolly mammoth will make its return from extinction by 2027, says Colossal, the biotech company actively working to reincarnate the ancient beast.

Last year, the Dallas-based firm scored an additional $60 million in funding to continue the, well, mammoth gene-editing work it started in 2021. If successful, not only will Colossal bring back an extinct species—one the company dubs a cold-resistant elephant—but it will also reintroduce the woolly mammoth to the same ecosystem in which it once lived in an effort to fight climate change, according to a recent Medium post.

Colossal calls the woolly mammoth’s vast migration patterns an active part of preserving the health of the Arctic, and so bringing the animal back to life can have a beneficial impact on the health of the world’s ecosystem. While Colossal originally hoped to reintroduce the woolly mammoth into Siberia, the company may explore other options based on the current political framework of the world."

The headline doesn't really reflect the reality though - as to the timescale for bringing back a species - even if this is possible. :oops:

We Never Know

No Slack
The headline doesn't really reflect the reality though - as to the timescale for bringing back a species - even if this is possible. :oops:

"The woolly mammoth’s DNA is a 99.6 percent match of the Asian elephant, which leads Colossal to believe it’s well on its way toward achieving its goal. “In the minds of many, this creature is gone forever,” the company says. “But not in the minds of our scientists, nor the labs of our company. We’re already in the process of the de-extinction of the Woolly Mammoth. Our teams have collected viable DNA samples and are editing the genes that will allow this wonderful megafauna to once again thunder through the Arctic.”

Through gene editing, Colossal scientists will eventually create an embryo of a woolly mammoth. They will place the embryo in an African elephant to take advantage of its size and allow it to give birth to the new woolly mammoth. The eventual goal is to then repopulate parts of the Arctic with the new woolly mammoth and strengthen local plant life with the migration patterns and dietary habits of the beast.

If Colossal proves successful on reincarnating the woolly mammoth"

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
"The woolly mammoth’s DNA is a 99.6 percent match of the Asian elephant, which leads Colossal to believe it’s well on its way toward achieving its goal. “In the minds of many, this creature is gone forever,” the company says. “But not in the minds of our scientists, nor the labs of our company. We’re already in the process of the de-extinction of the Woolly Mammoth. Our teams have collected viable DNA samples and are editing the genes that will allow this wonderful megafauna to once again thunder through the Arctic.”

Through gene editing, Colossal scientists will eventually create an embryo of a woolly mammoth. They will place the embryo in an African elephant to take advantage of its size and allow it to give birth to the new woolly mammoth. The eventual goal is to then repopulate parts of the Arctic with the new woolly mammoth and strengthen local plant life with the migration patterns and dietary habits of the beast.

If Colossal proves successful on reincarnating the woolly mammoth"
It takes time to develop a species from an individual clone. This was the point one of the scientists pointed out - who works on the project - and hence the news is more for media consumption apparently. And to get more backing perhaps. To get a species back from extinction, there must be enough variation in the gene pool.

We Never Know

No Slack
It takes time to develop a species from an individual clone. This was the point one of the scientists pointed out - who works on the project - and hence the news is more for media consumption apparently. And to get more backing perhaps. To get a species back from extinction, there must be enough variation in the gene pool.

Yes it takes time. They started the project in 2021 and hope to be able to do it in 2027.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
IMO some projects like this are based on false promises so people can get funding which allows them to keep their jobs, some arent. Time will tell.
I don't know, but the scientist who quoted a much longer timescale was talking to other scientists about this.

syo

Good ideal or not?

"Scientists Are Reincarnating the Woolly Mammoth to Return in 4 Years
  • Colossal recently added $60 million in funding to move toward a 2027 de-extinction of the woolly mammoth.
  • The Dallas-based company is now working to edit the genes for the reincarnation of the mammal.
  • Colossal planned to reintroduce the woolly mammoth into Russia, but that may shift.
The long-dead woolly mammoth will make its return from extinction by 2027, says Colossal, the biotech company actively working to reincarnate the ancient beast.

Last year, the Dallas-based firm scored an additional $60 million in funding to continue the, well, mammoth gene-editing work it started in 2021. If successful, not only will Colossal bring back an extinct species—one the company dubs a cold-resistant elephant—but it will also reintroduce the woolly mammoth to the same ecosystem in which it once lived in an effort to fight climate change, according to a recent Medium post.

Colossal calls the woolly mammoth’s vast migration patterns an active part of preserving the health of the Arctic, and so bringing the animal back to life can have a beneficial impact on the health of the world’s ecosystem. While Colossal originally hoped to reintroduce the woolly mammoth into Siberia, the company may explore other options based on the current political framework of the world."

GOOD! Love it!