• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientists and Christianity...

A Christian (who doesn't believe in evolution) recently told me that there are scientists who are now admitting that "evolution don't happen", and that there are a lot of scientists who are turning to Christianity and the Bible.

Has anyone else heard about this? I thought scientists considered evolution a fact? Can anyone elaborate?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
There are Christians who believe in theistic evolution, and read the Biblical account of creation as a metaphor.

Ceridwen018

First of all, I wouldn't take anyone too seriously who told me that "evolution don't happen", but I suppose that's just me. :)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
A Christian (who doesn't believe in evolution) recently told me that there are scientists who are now admitting that "evolution don't happen", and that there are a lot of scientists who are turning to Christianity and the Bible.

Has anyone else heard about this? I thought scientists considered evolution a fact? Can anyone elaborate?

There are Christians who are scientists and Christians who believe in evolution. I know, I have met and spoke with many of them and also other theists who are not Christians who also believe in evolution. Lastly, evolution is one of very many sciences. I am not sure why it is the only science ever brought up.

ayani

it is true that some scientists who formerly agreed with evolution do turn to Biblical Creationism.

but as for numbers, i would expect the numbers would be on the small side. the vast majority of scientists do believe in evolution, and would not consider taking Genesis literally, or even looking to Genesis in the first place. apparently it does happen, though i'd want to see some statistics or personal testimonies from these individuals.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
it is true that some scientists who formerly agreed with evolution do turn to Biblical Creationism.

but as for numbers, i would expect the numbers would be on the small side. the vast majority of scientists do believe in evolution, and would not consider taking Genesis literally, or even looking to Genesis in the first place. apparently it does happen, though i'd want to see some statistics or personal testimonies from these individuals.
Then you'll forgive us for not taking your word for it.

Little Joe Gould

Seeking God
I think either when a Christian goes out of his way to try and discredit advancements in science or a scientist goes out of his way to belittle religion is idiocy. Both of these aspects have their purposes; one is to better humanity through subjective spirituality and ethical framework; the other meant to better humanity through objective empirical research. I think anyone who believes there should be the smallest amount of friction between these two disciplines is practically a moron.

Hospitaller

Seminarian
i heard that its okay to believe in adaptation evolution as a Roman Catholic, its just the idea that we came from apes and that everything came from a cell that's the real bullcrap (no offense to anyone).

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
A dog will never become a cat.
And a cat will never become a dog.
I should think not! If it did, evolution would be falsified.
I do now believe in the resurrection after seeing a 4.5 year old thread revived.
Lastly, evolution is one of very many sciences. I am not sure why it is the only science ever brought up.
Good point. Creationists do sometimes attack astronomy, geology, chemistry, physics, etc. when it challenges their misconception of the age of the earth. Dating techniques and the speed of light have been criticized by creationists to shoehorn their dogma into their propoganda.

But there's no question evolutionary biology is their favorite whipping boy.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Good point. Creationists do sometimes attack astronomy, geology, chemistry, physics, etc. when it challenges their misconception of the age of the earth. Dating techniques and the speed of light have been criticized by creationists to shoehorn their dogma into their propoganda.
I don't see it happening in this day and age. I learned about astronomy before I became a Christian and later, when I read the bible, I never found anything that contradicted what I learned. And don't throw some verse at me about the sun rising. People still go out in this day and age to watch "sunsets" and "sunrises" and I doubt very many people truly believes the sun is actually rises or sets- even I didn't at age 4. The Bible was never intended to be a science book and neither is it against science.

logician

i heard that its okay to believe in adaptation evolution as a Roman Catholic, its just the idea that we came from apes and that everything came from a cell that's the real bullcrap (no offense to anyone).

Well, we and apes came from a common ancestor, and we all evolved from unicellular life.

And that ain't bullcrap.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
AFAIK, the position of the Church is that the only point of doctrine in this whole debate is that all humanity descended from an original pair of humans, and apart from that, they're content to leave the matter of how life arose, including us, up to science.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
AFAIK, the position of the Church is that the only point of doctrine in this whole debate is that all humanity descended from an original pair of humans, and apart from that, they're content to leave the matter of how life arose, including us, up to science.

Not all of humanity came from Adam and Eve. In case you have not noticed there are many different races all with unique traits. All races of humans was made on the 6th day of creation, not just Adams. Adam and Eve's story is special because it is that particular genealogy that eventually leads us to Jesus, which is why they started in Eden. You can trace back Jesus genealogy as proof of that. Most of us are from one of the races that started outside of Eden.