• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Scientism" on Wikipedia ...

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I was just reading some of the more recent additional information on wiki about "scientism", and could not help but notice the striking resemblance between many of the 'atheists' that participate on this site, and the characterizations being offered on wiki regarding "scientism". And yet whenever I've tried to point out these same characterizations to those atheists on this site who routinely express these exact same characteristics, they deny that they or anyone they know show any resemblance to them. Somehow, they are unable to see themselves as such even as they actively express themselves as such.

It's quite puzzling, and it gives me the impression of there being some sort of cult-like phenomena involved.

Let me post some of the characteristics of "scientism" from wiki and lets see if any of you self-proclaimed atheists, here, can see yourself in any of them ...

"In the philosophy of science, the term scientism frequently implies a critique of the more extreme expressions of logical positivism[2][3] and has been used by social scientists such as Friedrich Hayek,[4] philosophers of science such as Karl Popper,[5] and philosophers such as Mary Midgley,[6] the later Hilary Putnam,[6][7] and Tzvetan Todorov[8] to describe (for example) the dogmatic endorsement of scientific methodology and the reduction of all knowledge to only that which is measured or confirmatory.[9]"

"It has been defined as "the view that the characteristic inductive methods of the natural sciences are the only source of genuine factual knowledge and, in particular, that they alone can yield true knowledge about man and society"."

(The term "Scientism") It is used to criticize a totalizing view of science as if it were capable of describing all reality and knowledge, or as if it were the only true way to acquire knowledge about reality and the nature of things;"

"E. F. Schumacher, in his A Guide for the Perplexed, criticized scientism as an impoverished world view confined solely to what can be counted, measured and weighed. "The architects of the modern worldview, notably Galileo and Descartes, assumed that those things that could be weighed, measured, and counted were more true than those that could not be quantified. If it couldn't be counted ... it didn't count."[32]"

"Intellectual historian T.J. Jackson Lears argued there has been a recent reemergence of "nineteenth-century positivist faith that a reified 'science' has discovered (or is about to discover) all the important truths about human life. Precise measurement and rigorous calculation, in this view, are the basis for finally settling enduring metaphysical and moral controversies."
I have read many of the self-proclaimed atheists on this site paraphrasing many of these same ideals, often, and repeatedly.

"God is not real unless and until God can be proven real by the objective methodology of science".

It is not that God's "realness" depends on being proven by the sciencies. I have never heard such a claim before.

It is just that people create their gods in their minds and insist that others must buy into that. I don't need nor ask for an actual scientific research to believe in anybody's god, but I am most certainly going to ask for objective evidence.

I feel it in my heart, I had a miraculous experience, my priest said so, the bible says so.... that I own a bridge in London. And I am willing to sell it to you for a bargain. But I am not going to show any objective evidence that I own it. You have to trust me, otherwise you are guilty of scientism. You most certainly are going to buy it, right?

Audie

Veteran Member
I was just reading some of the more recent additional information on wiki about "scientism", and could not help but notice the striking resemblance between many of the 'atheists' that participate on this site, and the characterizations being offered on wiki regarding "scientism". And yet whenever I've tried to point out these same characterizations to those atheists on this site who routinely express these exact same characteristics, they deny that they or anyone they know show any resemblance to them. Somehow, they are unable to see themselves as such even as they actively express themselves as such.

It's quite puzzling, and it gives me the impression of there being some sort of cult-like phenomena involved.

Let me post some of the characteristics of "scientism" from wiki and lets see if any of you self-proclaimed atheists, here, can see yourself in any of them ...

"In the philosophy of science, the term scientism frequently implies a critique of the more extreme expressions of logical positivism[2][3] and has been used by social scientists such as Friedrich Hayek,[4] philosophers of science such as Karl Popper,[5] and philosophers such as Mary Midgley,[6] the later Hilary Putnam,[6][7] and Tzvetan Todorov[8] to describe (for example) the dogmatic endorsement of scientific methodology and the reduction of all knowledge to only that which is measured or confirmatory.[9]"

"It has been defined as "the view that the characteristic inductive methods of the natural sciences are the only source of genuine factual knowledge and, in particular, that they alone can yield true knowledge about man and society"."

(The term "Scientism") It is used to criticize a totalizing view of science as if it were capable of describing all reality and knowledge, or as if it were the only true way to acquire knowledge about reality and the nature of things;"

"E. F. Schumacher, in his A Guide for the Perplexed, criticized scientism as an impoverished world view confined solely to what can be counted, measured and weighed. "The architects of the modern worldview, notably Galileo and Descartes, assumed that those things that could be weighed, measured, and counted were more true than those that could not be quantified. If it couldn't be counted ... it didn't count."[32]"

"Intellectual historian T.J. Jackson Lears argued there has been a recent reemergence of "nineteenth-century positivist faith that a reified 'science' has discovered (or is about to discover) all the important truths about human life. Precise measurement and rigorous calculation, in this view, are the basis for finally settling enduring metaphysical and moral controversies."
I have read many of the self-proclaimed atheists on this site paraphrasing many of these same ideals, often, and repeatedly.

"God is not real unless and until God can be proven real by the objective methodology of science".
Point out an example if you ever find one.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
with subjective reality, science is typically useless. .

I think we need to replace the word science with empiricism, or else acknowledge that there is both a formal process called science involving laboratories and observatories, and papers and journals.

But science is just collecting data, generalizing by induction, generate ideas that allow one to predict future outcomes, which is validated by doing that. So, what an astronomer does to predict an eclipse is not fundamentally different from you and I do when crossing the street. We look left and right to see if traffic is coming (collect data), conclude that it is safe to cross, and successfully predict the outcome: crossing was safe as the data suggested.

Even with subjective truths, the process is the same. Every time I eat Brussels sprout, I have a bad taste in my mouth. That subjective truth is as reliable and reproducible as any other for me, and also allows me to successfully predict outcomes: If you eat that, you won't like it.

These are truths, too, just not for everybody. But since they are determined empirically, they're science, albeit informal science as I define it.

Finding a piece of art beautiful is also a truth for the individual if that what happens

So solve this one:
"Naturalism's axiomatic assumptions[edit]
All scientific study inescapably builds on at least some essential assumptions that are untested by scientific processes.[42][43] Kuhn concurs that all science is based on an approved agenda of unprovable assumptions about the character of the universe, rather than merely on empirical facts. These assumptions—a paradigm—comprise a collection of beliefs, values and techniques that are held by a given scientific community, which legitimize their systems and set the limitations to their investigation.[44] For naturalists, nature is the only reality, the only paradigm. There is no such thing as 'supernatural'. The scientific method is to be used to investigate all reality,[45] and Naturalism is the implicit philosophy of working scientists.[46]

The following basic assumptions are needed to justify the scientific method.[47]

1. that there is an objective reality shared by all rational observers.[47][48] "The basis for rationality is acceptance of an external objective reality."[49]. "As an individual we cannot know that the sensory information we perceive is generated artificially or originates from a real world. Any belief that it arises from a real world outside us is actually an assumption. It seems more beneficial to assume that an objective reality exists than to live with solipsism, and so people are quite happy to make this assumption. In fact we made this assumption unconsciously when we began to learn about the world as infants. The world outside ourselves appears to respond in ways which are consistent with it being real. ... The assumption of objectivism is essential if we are to attach the contemporary meanings to our sensations and feelings and make more sense of them."[50] "Without this assumption, there would be only the thoughts and images in our own mind (which would be the only existing mind) and there would be no need of science, or anything else."[51]
  2. that this objective reality is governed by natural laws.[47][48] "Science, at least today, assumes that the universe obeys to knoweable principles that don't depend on time or place, nor on subjective parameters such as what we think, know or how we behave."[49] Hugh Gauch argues that science presupposes that "the physical world is orderly and comprehensible."[52]
  3. that reality can be discovered by means of systematic observation and experimentation.[47][48] Stanley Sobottka said, "The assumption of external reality is necessary for science to function and to flourish. For the most part, science is the discovering and explaining of the external world."[51] "Science attempts to produce knowledge that is as universal and objective as possible within the realm of human understanding."[49]
  4. that Nature has uniformity of laws and most if not all things in nature must have at least a natural cause.[48] Biologist Stephen Jay Gould referred to these two closely related propositions as the constancy of nature's laws and the operation of known processes.[53] Simpson agrees that the axiom of uniformity of law, an unprovable postulate, is necessary in order for scientists to extrapolate inductive inference into the unobservable past in order to meaningfully study it.[54]
..."
Philosophy of science - Wikipedia

Solve what? That there are assumptions in science that have been confirmed to be valid empirically (and they have, and that is science, too) by the stellar success of science? The sine qua non of a correct idea is that it works, that it is useful in the sense that it can predict outcomes, like eclipses (for everybody) and the dysphoria of eating Brussels sprouts (for those that have that reaction to them).

I've told you before that I think you make this all too difficult. Ideas that work are correct. If I tell you that I live five blocks north and three blocks east of the pier, and going five blocks south and three west gets me from my front door to the pier, the idea is correct. Is is absolute truth, is it objective reality, can we really know anything, what are the assumptions underlying this belief? How can we knw that the pier is real, or that we aren't in a matrix? I find all of that less than useless. It causes one to be in a state of epistemic paralysis, epistemic nihilism.

What is the benefit to you of this type of thinking and the questions like you ask here? Do you wind up with deeper insights that allow you to make better decisions that make your life better? Are you avoiding mistakes with these ideas?

Audie

Veteran Member
Seems to be a source of frustration for you that others use a different method of deciding what is true about the world than faith. I'm a strict empiricist. You've never demonstrated that your god exists. Why would I admit such an idea into my head?

If you want to convince critical thinkers, you'll have to play on their field by their rules. They require a reason to believe before believing.

And I see that you are still mischaracterizing the atheist position (your last line). You like to spend a lot of energy putting words in the mouths of atheists that few speak. You've never read that line from me or any other agnostic atheist, which is most of us.

As i said, find an example.
I will bet a $20 donation to charity
we never see one.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I think we need to replace the word science with empiricism, or else acknowledge that there is both a formal process called science involving laboratories and observatories, and papers and journals.

But science is just collecting data, generalizing by induction, generate ideas that allow one to predict future outcomes, which is validated by doing that. So, what an astronomer does to predict an eclipse is not fundamentally different from you and I do when crossing the street. We look left and right to see if traffic is coming (collect data), conclude that it is safe to cross, and successfully predict the outcome: crossing was safe as the data suggested.
Okay.

Even with subjective truths, the process is the same. Every time I eat Brussels sprout, I have a bad taste in my mouth. That subjective truth is as reliable and reproducible as any other for me, and also allows me to successfully predict outcomes: If you eat that, you won't like it.
But someone else will experience that exact same taste and produce the exact opposite result....they're delicious. Further, some folks change their tastes over time. So while science can inform various aspects of the taste of brussel sprouts, it can't tell us whether they "taste good". The best it can do is say "it depends".

These are truths, too, just not for everybody.
Exactly....that's what makes it subjective.

But since they are determined empirically, they're science, albeit informal science as I define it.
I don't see how whether a painting is "art", or if brussel sprouts taste "good" is determined empirically.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Ok, let's say I accept all of this. What is the problem?

AlexanderG

Thanks for the interesting questions! I think you're confusing the distinction between epistemology and ontology, as well as the distinction between analytic and synthetic claims. In the last line of your OP, you express this misunderstanding quite well. For me and other agnostic atheists or empiricists, it's not about whether god is in fact real or not (ontology), because that's an untestable, unfalsifiable proposition. Rather, we are solely concerned with whether there are tools of reason and evidence that can produce a warranted justification to believe that a god is real (epistemology).

We atheists start with epistemology and take it as far as it can currently lead us, for tentative a posteriori conclusions about reality, and we go no farther. Many theists start with the ontology of god being real, and then post hoc rationalize what they see around them to fit with their a priori belief. We don't accept post hoc rationalization, and you don't accept any evidence that your god might not be real. This is why conversations can be frustrating.

A useful paradigm that I like to use is as follows, and this helps with the analytic/synthetic distinction:

1. Conceptual claims must be justified by conceptual evidence.
(Ex: "My favorite flavor of ice cream is strawberry" is a conceptual claim, justified by testimonial evidence which is also conceptual.)

2. Empirical claims must be justified with empirical evidence.
(Ex: "Salty soil stunts the growth of plants, which we can see in this series of controlled experiments where the only variable was soil salinity, and plants grew more poorly as salinity levels increased.")

3. Metaphysical claims must be justified with metaphysical evidence.
(So far, humans don't appear to have access to metaphysical evidence. Other than "I think therefore I am," which is only abosolute justification to oneself, I don't see how any other metaphysical claims can be justified.)​

Claims that a god in fact exists is a metaphysical claim, and claims that we should believe in a god based on evidence in the external world is an empirical claim. However, I have only ever seen conceptual evidence that a god exists. Appeals to personal testimony, appeals to personal ignorance or incredulity about some natural process, emotional appeals, appeals to imagination and definitions, and appeals to distasteful consequences are the usual examples.

So, if you want to claim something about ultimate reality or the world outside our own minds, then you need to bring a higher order form of evidence. Conceptual evidence only justifies the things that we imagine, and so your god currently appears to be imaginary and nothing more.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Personally I find Popper's critique of logical positivism accurate Logical positivism - Wikipedia given that scientism is defined as extreme logical positivism.

An early, tenacious critic was Karl Popper whose 1934 book Logik der Forschung, arriving in English in 1959 as The Logic of Scientific Discovery, directly answered verificationism. Popper considered the problem of induction as rendering empirical verification logically impossible,[41] and the deductive fallacy of affirming the consequent reveals any phenomenon's capacity to host more than one logically possible explanation. Accepting scientific method as hypotheticodeduction, whose inference form is denying the consequent, Popper finds scientific method unable to proceed without falsifiable predictions. Popper thus identifies falsifiability to demarcate not meaningful from meaningless but simply scientific from unscientific—a label not in itself unfavorable.

Popper finds virtue in metaphysics, required to develop new scientific theories. And an unfalsifiable—thus unscientific, perhaps metaphysical—concept in one era can later, through evolving knowledge or technology, become falsifiable, thus scientific. Popper also found science's quest for truth to rest on values. Popper disparages the pseudoscientific, which occurs when an unscientific theory is proclaimed true and coupled with seemingly scientific method by "testing" the unfalsifiable theory—whose predictions are confirmed by necessity—or when a scientific theory's falsifiable predictions are strongly falsified but the theory is persistently protected by "immunizing stratagems", such as the appendage of ad hoc clauses saving the theory or the recourse to increasingly speculative hypotheses shielding the theory.

Popper's scientific epistemology is falsificationism, which finds that no number, degree, and variety of empirical successes can either verify or confirm scientific theory. Falsificationism finds science's aim as corroboration of scientific theory, which strives for scientific realism but accepts the maximal status of strongly corroborated verisimilitude ("truthlikeness"). Explicitly denying the positivist view that all knowledge is scientific, Popper developed the general epistemology of critical rationalism, which finds human knowledge to evolve by conjectures and refutations. Popper thus acknowledged the value of the positivist movement, driving evolution of human understanding, but claimed that he had "killed positivism".

AlexanderG

I think you're also trying to foist the logical positivist position on atheists, which seems to be a popular tactic. Yes, science cannot provide evidence that the scientific method is "true." That's because the scientific method is a conceptual, analytic proposition. The scientific method provides empirical evidence, however, and can never be used to justify things like how we feel about objects and events, why we prefer the things we do, or how we define words or conceptual frameworks. It was never designed to do so, and modern atheists accept this. We do not embrace "scientism" if you're equating it with logical positivism. Analytic claims are not produced or justified by science. We have other tools for that.

Granted, evolutionary biology as a theory can explain a lot of human psychology, but it can't tell us why we should value thinking or behaving in a certain way. It doesn't try to. I don't think theism can tell us why we should behave in a certain way, either, even though it tries to, but that's a whole other topic.

Edit: Oof, @sun rise beat me to it, with a much better explanation too!

Last edited:

epronovost

If you posit your deity to be something else than a social construct, then this isn't a case of scientism. Scientism is denying the knowledge and merit of non-scientific enterprise like literature, poetry, history and sometime even the results of social and medical sciences. It's basically denying the existence and worth of any sort of self referential knowledge. It's not scientism to ask for scientific proof to answer questions which are within the sphere of expertise of science like the detection of phenomenon or the inner working of the observable universe. That's why scientism can be a term of abuse.