• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientific Study of Religion?

samcole11

Is it even possible?

Well, if it is I'm working on it. As a graduate student in social psychology I'm currently interested in how individuals perceive being religious and/or spiritual. I'm using an internet survey to do this. It takes about 25 mintues and I've been told it's pretty interesting. I would like to hear what everyone here has to say so if you have the time check it out using the link below. Oh, and there are a couple random cash prizes available for participants. Thanks for your time everyone, and I hope you find this as interesting as I do.

http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB224H2R5YT4N

Sam Cole
[email protected]

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sorry. I began the survey but found the questions inappropriate, primarily because you have closely coupled religion and God. Not good for a Masters project in my opinion.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Well I just took your survey. I was dissapointed that there wasn't some sort of score sheet at the end of it, and many of the questions made some presupositions, but all in all, it was an interesting experience.

B.

samcole11

I agree that some of the questions are inappropriate for many faiths, but I'm sure my analysis will find what questions are most appropriate for which faiths.

And yes, greatcalgarian, I want everyone to participate in the survey. As long as you specify yourself as an atheist you should be fine. Remember to answer only the questions you think apply to you and feel free to comment on how you interpret the questions and why you didn't any questions.

Thank you all for your help! And if you want to see some results when the analyses are finished feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

mingmty

Scientist
That would be more like studying the psychology of religion, don't you think? Just like Jung did try. But not close to scientifically studying religion since this is impossible because they embrace different paradigms.

I also can't answer since I don't belive in a god.

A

angellous_evangellous

samcole11 said:
Is it even possible?

Well, if it is I'm working on it. As a graduate student in social psychology I'm currently interested in how individuals perceive being religious and/or spiritual. I'm using an internet survey to do this. It takes about 25 mintues and I've been told it's pretty interesting. I would like to hear what everyone here has to say so if you have the time check it out using the link below. Oh, and there are a couple random cash prizes available for participants. Thanks for your time everyone, and I hope you find this as interesting as I do.

Sam Cole
[email protected]

Of course it is, and it has been going on for quite some time. It's even right up your alley. Social science and biblical interpretation have recently crossed paths with scholars in the Context Group. All religions exist as social entities and in history, so the usual apparati that scholars use to review social groups and history are used to critically and scientifically study religion. If the religion produces writings, several other scientific reviews such as textual criticism, redaction criticism, and rhetorical criticism are applied.

What no scientific inquiry can review is the metaphysical claims of religious myth, because critical thought can only review that which exists physically or abstractly as ideas. That is, the metaphysical as an idea can be reviewed, but not the actual existance or activity of that which is actually utterly beyond the reach of humanity.

Flappycat

samcole11 said:
Is it even possible?

Sam Cole
[email protected]
Well, as I indicated in another thread, the religion that seems to take the most scientific approach to spirituality is Hinduism. Their zeal in this respect is quite impressive. Though a far cry from actual science in my opinion, this could arguably be a good start for someone who wants to view religion and spirituality in a scientific light.

bhavin

There is a fundamental flaw in using science to prove religion. It's well known in the field of "Philosophy of Science". One of the basic criteria for science is the observability of phenomena and testability of hypotheses. Ofcourse a corrolary to this is that these phenemena we observe are within the universe because we only have control of experiments within the universe.

Unfortunately, the concept of God puts him well beyond the boundaries of the universe. And even if there were interactions of God and this universe, such assertions are random and questionable. Therefore, if God's existence cannot be experimented on, there is no way science can prove his (her) existence.