• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientific studies on Spirits

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
Please share anything related to this topic if you can think of anything. Otherwise politely discuss the topic based on other findings and related knowledge. The articles below are to start a conversation about such studies.

Electronic voice phonomena (EVP) might explain voices "in people's heads": What You Need to Know about Electronic Voice Phenomena

A decade-old old article based off experiments surrounding orbs in digital pictures. It has some good points that are still relevant: Is this the proof that spirits DO exist? | Daily Mail Online

Einstein's Laws and the existence of ghosts: Do Einstein's Laws Prove Ghosts Exist?

Chakra science based off quantum physics: Chakra Science

Chakras in neuroscience: The Anatomical Proof of the Existence of the Chakras

Near-death experience studies: New Evidence Suggests that the Near-Death-Experience is the Spirit Leaving the Body and Not Just a Dying Brain

Feel free to offer other explanations or provide counter-claims that can be supported scientifically on the topic of spirits existing. If you must dispute with another person, take it to a different thread. This thread is for discussing scientific opinions and proof (or lack thereof) for the spiritual. Opposing claims here should be talked about in a respectful and knowledge-based way, not used as emotional ammo against each other.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Please share anything related to this topic if you can think of anything. Otherwise politely discuss the topic based on other findings and related knowledge. The articles below are to start a conversation about such studies.

Electronic voice phonomena (EVP) might explain voices "in people's heads": What You Need to Know about Electronic Voice Phenomena

A decade-old old article based off experiments surrounding orbs in digital pictures. It has some good points that are still relevant: Is this the proof that spirits DO exist? | Daily Mail Online

Einstein's Laws and the existence of ghosts: Do Einstein's Laws Prove Ghosts Exist?

Near-death experience studies: New Evidence Suggests that the Near-Death-Experience is the Spirit Leaving the Body and Not Just a Dying Brain

Feel free to offer other explanations or provide counter-claims that can be supported scientifically on the topic of spirits existing. If you must dispute with another person, take it to a different thread. This thread is for discussing scientific opinions and proof (or lack thereof) for the spiritual. Opposing claims here should be talked about in a respectful and knowledge-based way, not used as emotional ammo against each other.

What does a spirit look like that has not be equated to life: energy in chakras, religious figures, physical sensations, hullucinations that actually have people and things we can identify, and so forth?

Wouldnt a spirit, if "not part of this world" have its own nature separate from us?

Magus

Spirit (n) from Latin Spiritus "Breathing" and that's exactly what it is and this is true in Hebrew, Ruach (רוּחַ) means Wind or breath, in other words 'Spirit' is Gas, so when you see your curtains moving by themselves, it is the air .

So the sky or atmosphere, is thus considered the spirit-world, birds appear to float in this spirit-world, so the wings of bird at detached and put onto objects or figures of men, call them spiritual angelic entities in mythology.

In-spire means 'Breath in' and so the opposite would be Exorcise "Breath Out", so that's exactly when exorcists are trying to do, 'Breath out' the GAS from the Lungs.

Con-spire means 'Breath together', so gather a bunch of people, light up a bong and breath the psychedelic gas (Spirit) , now that's a real conspiracy.

We speak, so our 'voice' is carried by the 'Air' to the recipient , so 'messenger' or 'angels' are winged (who else have wings, Birds, and they fly in the Air), we breath in , we breath out.

Plato decided that our emotions where 'breathed in' and he personified every emotion with a demon or a 'spirit' personification and there was a demon for everything.

Dike (Demon of Justice)
Eros (Demon of Love)
Himerus (Demon of desire),
Phthonus (Demon of jealousy)
Styx (Demon of Hate)
Zelus (Demon of Envy)
Mania (Demon of Madness)
Methe (Demon of Drunkeness)
Ate (Demon of delusion)
Musica (Demon of Music)
Gelus (Demon of Laughter)

Plato was well aware all of this was abstract, it was the Cult of Christ or Gnostics that interpreted it as Literal and so Christians and Muslims today are literary trying to exorcise spirits (Plato's demons) from peoples lungs.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

What's scientific about it?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Its 4 part series.

The commentator notes that there are problems with the available data, but he discusses what kind of evidence is needed in this video. In later videos he seems to start to accept testimony of people instead of evidence. In the end its not 'Scientific' but perhaps weird and interesting to those interested in spirits.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Regarding mental illness and spirituality, I think there needs to be more research because as one who works in the field of mental health, brain degradation can also effect behavior along with the correlating effects of long term drug use. How do we discern abnormal behavior such as brain degradation like dementia with spiritual possession?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Regarding mental illness and spirituality, I think there needs to be more research because as one who works in the field of mental health, brain degradation can also effect behavior along with the correlating effects of long term drug use. How do we discern abnormal behavior such as brain degradation like dementia with spiritual possession?

Unless one works in the mental health field, or really is in into it, I guess, but the very layman's point is education. We think we're advanced in thought; and, we have not.

For example, coming from Mass, I went to a baptist church sermon that I haven't heard in ages. I have seizures and I had a seizure during the service. Probably because I went straight from a quiet environment to a "hallauhah, praise you jesus" one. Shocked my nerves.

The members pined me down, put their hands over my forehead, and said "get the holy spirit from her! Get the holy spirit from her!" and never called 911. My seizures themselves last for less than a minute. The aftermath five tops. I finally told them to call 911.

One member said as the ambulance came, that one of his church peers had a heart attack and instead of going to medical doctors, by the grace of god, he was healed.

This is what it reminded me of:

You can fast forward to the middle

Can you imagine this in a one floor office building where everyone's jumping up and down, and screaming to jesus?

People still do believe in the spirits. I don't think it's scientific but more based on mental health than anything else. Some say placebo effect. Chakras and all of that is just body's energy and how one directs it.

agorman

Premium Member
Mainstream Science is mostly financed by multinationals and governments; i.e. those who rule the World. Both wouldn't like common people to get out of wage slavery. That's why they don't want us to know too much. Notice I said "know" and not "believe". They will give scientific proof of spirituality once they're sure it will represent no danger to their interests (maybe never).

They don't want common people to know that we are an immortal spirit, an eternal individual with unlimited potential; that there's more in life than working for them 9 to 5 for a miserly salary, just to come back home to distract ourselves instead of solving our problems. Imagine millions of people being sure of the power of their own spirits and not being afraid of death. Millions everywhere making defensive witchcraft against the abuses of those in power. They didn't burn witches for nothing in the past! Now we grow up learning that we're just biological machines and witchcraft is only in fairy tales, so you believe you have no power. We even grow up believing meditation and prayer is useless, so we don't even call for a higher power to help us against them! Or people is raised in religions where you are taught you're just a powerless sinner.

They even hide evidence of physical things as UFOs and the existence of intelligent life in other planets. What if common people would start contacting those aliens and getting liberating knowledge? (spiritual or not). Imagine if we had the technology to materialize things instead of producing them and buying them. Or of getting energy in free, non-polluting ways. Or of healing ourselves without medications. All of that is against the interests of big corporations.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Orbs? Really? Those photographic effects are called diffraction disks. You see them all the time if your optics are out of focus or it there is dust or water droplets around.

Sheesh!

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Orbs? Really? Those photographic effects are called diffraction disks. You see them all the time if your optics are out of focus or it there is dust or water droplets around.

Sheesh!
Yes there are dust particles, but orbs are different and can rouse the interest of pets:

Erebus

This is something I'd actually be interested in hearing from our resident scientists about. How would you actually go about testing for something like ghosts?

Araceli Cianna

As someone who was possessed/psychotic (pick which one) I prefer to think I was rather just psychotic. Otherwise we are all doomed to hell. Lol.

I cleared up once I got put on anti-psychotic meds. But I still remember the nightmares.

SabahTheLoner

You have a point with that. I often wonder of a belief that spirits can possess others actually have an effect on the brain. Voodoo practitioners actually believe in spirit possessions and will drink and smoke heavily during rituals, claiming that they won't get cancer or other problems doing so because the spirits "are using my body to smoke" (quoting a woman from a video on YouTube). Personally I think that's not entirely how it works but I think more research should be done regarding spirit possession and a belief in it.

SabahTheLoner

This is something I'd actually be interested in hearing from our resident scientists about. How would you actually go about testing for something like ghosts?

I know there are scientific ghost hunters out there. They use process of elimination to try to find hauntings in houses, knowing that gas leaks and eviroment can create feelings of discomfort. If I can find it I'll link a talk about it.

SabahTheLoner

Sheesh!

From the article I linked:

"The answer was that they could make these shimmering 'orbs' appear again, but only - absurd as it may sound - if they 'asked' the apparitions to make themselves visible to the camera. And they found this method worked particularly well when the couple photographed spiritual gatherings.

What on earth was going on? Again, a maverick technical glitch seemed the obvious answer. Such anomalies happen frequently in digital photography. If you accidentally jog a camera while a picture is being taken, especially in dim light, you can easily get a double image.

But again, Prof Heinemann ruled out a technical fault. 'We were quickly able to eliminate the common problems associated with photography - such as dust particles, water droplets, reflections and a host of other likely causes.'

Yet the orbs still kept appearing. And the more images he took, the more he was able to study the bizarre properties of these shimmering lights.

Heinemann set up dozens of experiments using two cameras on static tripods under controlled conditions. His early experiments found that orbs can move very fast, up to 500mph or more."

Anyone with a camera can do these sorts of tests. And it'll be interesting to see if more than one sceintist can confirm that not all of the orbs are light refractions off dust and water particles.