• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientific Realism Begets Mathematical Realism

Nous

Premium Member
Do you agree that from scientific discoveries and theories we can infer the nature of empirical reality, at least insofar as determining if an entity constitutes (some part of) empirical reality, or concluding that the essential terms of scientific theories refer to something objectively existing? This is just the thesis of scientific realism. “Scientific realism is a realism about whatever is described by our best scientific theories”. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/scientific-realism/

E=mc2, F=ma, F=k(q1q2)/d2 (Coulomb’s law), ∆S ≥ 0 (second law of thermodynamics), Schrodinger’s equation, the laws of conserved quantities, etc., etc. These are the sorts of entities or facts that physicists discover about empirical reality. Obviously these are mathematical relations, i.e., relations between quantities. Energy is a quantity whose value is the product of two other quantities--the mass of a system multiplied by the speed of light squared. Granted, all the particular mathematical relations or laws just noted may be inexact approximations, their applicability limited to a particular domain or specific conditions. Nevertheless, we can hardly imagine the discovery of more exacting or truer statements about the nature and operation of empirical reality than relations between quantities.

These quantities and relations seem to possess all the credentials of objective existence, first and foremost by the fact that they are discovered rather than invented. We can only assume that energy, momentum, angular momentum, charge (and mass insofar as it is considered to be energy) were conserved quantities before humans were on the scene to conceive these rules and make such calculations, and we can assume these will be conserved quantities in a closed system until the crack of doom. We can say without shame that what makes the written representations of these relations or laws true statements is the same as what makes any other true statement true: they are referential of objective reality--in this case, referential of objectively existing relations between quantities.

Perhaps one wishes to claim that physicists discover other kinds of stuff in addition to mathematical relations, such as, say, the discovery of the electron. Few people would quibble with that. I would note that, even so, everything we know about electrons pertains to their mathematical (measurable) nature and their relations with other quantities or mathematical relations. J. J. Thomson’s cathode ray experiments did not involve the discovery of anything of a non-mathematical nature about empirical reality: he deduced the particulate aspect of the rays (which had been speculated), that the particles have a negative charge, and he arrived at estimates of the size of charge and mass by way of calculations and deduction premised on the degree the rays were bent by electrical currents of differing strengths. The discovery of the electron was ultimately the discovery of a quantity or a set of quantities and mathematical relations.

Structuralism or structural realism is a species of scientific realism that recommends that the mathematical relations described in physics reveal or represent abstract structures as the objective constituents of reality. (I tried to express both the ontological and epistemological versions of the thesis in that sentence, perhaps not successfully.) Philosophers, mathematicians and physicists at least as far back as Henri Poincare, Arthur Eddington, Ernst Cassirer, Rudolf Carnap and Bertrand Russell have expressed various rudimentary notions of structuralism, but in a highly influential paper in 1989, philosopher John Worrall resurrected and developed the thesis as a solution to some of the objections to standard scientific realism, namely the perceived discontinuity of scientific theories and their posits from one theory to the next. According to Worrall (all emphasis his):

The rule in the history of physics seems to be that, whenever a theory replaces a predecessor, which has however itself enjoyed genuine predictive success, the ‘correspondence principle’ applies. This requires the mathematical equations of the old theory to reemerge as limiting cases of the mathematical equations of the new. [. . .] I can see no clear sense in which an action-at-a-distance force of gravity is a “limiting case” of, or “approximates” a space-time curvature. Or in which the ‘theoretical mechanisms’ of action-at-a-distance gravitational theory are “carried over” into general relativity theory. Yet Einstein’s equations undeniably go over to Newton’s in certain limiting special cases. In this sense, there is “approximate continuity” of structure in this case.

[. . .]

On the structural realist view what Newton really discovered are the relationships between phenomena expressed in the mathematical equations of his theory.
http://joelvelasco.net/teaching/3330/Worrall 1989 Structural Realism .pdf

To the best of my reckoning, the “relationships between phenomena expressed in the mathematical equations” are just relations between quantities. But if anyone wishes to reify the term “phenomena” in that sentence in some other way, be my guest.

Thus, taking my cue from some of the characteristic claims of scientific realism--

“The entities described by the scientific theory exist objectively and mind-independently.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_realism “The central terms of the best current theories are genuinely referential.” http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~delittle/Encyclopedia entries/scientific realism.htm

--I wish to state an argument such as:

P1: All central terms of fundamental scientific laws are genuinely referential.
P2: All central terms of fundamental scientific laws are quantities (/mathematical relations).
C: Therefore, some quantities (/mathematical relations) are genuinely referential.
(AAI-3)

or

P1: All entities (/structures) discovered by physicists using the scientific method are objectively existing.
P2: Some mathematical relations are entities (/structures) discovered by physicists using the scientific method.
C: Therefore, some mathematical relations are objectively existing.
(AII-1)

Of course, the above arguments are just my own redneck way of going about the Quine-Putnam Indispensability Argument, which professor Colyvan renders thus:

(P1) We ought to have ontological commitment to all and only the entities that are indispensable to our best scientific theories.
(P2) Mathematical entities are indispensable to our best scientific theories.
(C) We ought to have ontological commitment to mathematical entities

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mathphil-indis/

Colyvan contends that it is the best argument for mathematical realism (I agree), and notes that the argument throws down the gauntlet to those who profess anti-realism, as it puts nominalists in the position of needing to show where the argument goes wrong. I, too, would like to know why one shouldn’t deduce mathematical realism from the premise of scientific realism. What are the reasons or motivations from resisting such a conclusion?

Of course, some people apparently disagree with the thesis of scientific realism, and thus reject P1 in all the arguments above. In which case, I ask: Why shouldn’t we assume that the entities or relations described by the best theories of physics exist objectively? Why shouldn’t we assume that the essential terms of the scientific laws discovered by physicists are genuinely referential? What is a better way for determining the nature of empirical reality than by inference from the discoveries and theories of science?

Laika

Premium Member
this is a really good question. [you'll have to forgive if my answer isn't very direct as I'm quite tired.]

It is ridiculous to think that a biblical text is automatically a reflection of reality and is the literal truth because of the intellectual authority of it's author. We do not trust such cliams because they are built on a lack of evidence. The scientific revolution consisted in taking the dogmas of the age, which were assumed to be true and subjected them to reason and a burden of proof.

The truth is, is that we are not gods. We cannot cliam the level of omniscience to say that our thoughts automatically represent the objective world. realism is dangerous because it lays the foundations for new dogmas. we can be seduced by the beauty of an argument- the way it is so logical and in which all the pieces fit into place. the world isn't like that, and even the best mathamatican can come up with exquisitely complex forumlas, but until they are subjected to a cross-examination and can be established with evidence, it might as well be a faith-based system, only we replaced the belief that words or tea leaves tell us divine truths, and replace it with math equations.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I've always felt that mathematical relationships exist independent of the mind, and if they have steered us to the wrong conclusion it's because we didn't have them quite right.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Can you expand on that?

The only yes-or-no question I asked is the first sentence. Is that what your "no" is answering? If so, the last paragraph asks several questions.
Yes, I started reading the question and realised how long it was and it wasn't in any style of English I understand, so I gave up.

Nous

Premium Member
this is a really good question. [you'll have to forgive if my answer isn't very direct as I'm quite tired.]

It is ridiculous to think that a biblical text is automatically a reflection of reality and is the literal truth because of the intellectual authority of it's author. We do not trust such cliams because they are built on a lack of evidence. The scientific revolution consisted in taking the dogmas of the age, which were assumed to be true and subjected them to reason and a burden of proof.

The truth is, is that we are not gods. We cannot cliam the level of omniscience to say that our thoughts automatically represent the objective world. realism is dangerous because it lays the foundations for new dogmas. we can be seduced by the beauty of an argument- the way it is so logical and in which all the pieces fit into place. the world isn't like that, and even the best mathamatican can come up with exquisitely complex forumlas, but until they are subjected to a cross-examination and can be established with evidence, it might as well be a faith-based system, only we replaced the belief that words or tea leaves tell us divine truths, and replace it with math equations.
So, from this, should one infer that you favor the thesis of scientific realism more than you disfavor it (or more than you favor scientific anti-realism)? And, if you do favor scientific realism, do we have any logical reason to resist the conclusion of mathematical realism?

Nous

Premium Member
I've always felt that mathematical relationships exist independent of the mind, and if they have steered us to the wrong conclusion it's because we didn't have them quite right.
Apparently some of our conceptual models have been wrong, or at least not fully generalizable. And presumably that is still the case. Nevertheless, it seems that the new, more generalizable scientific theories retain some degree of the mathematical structure.

I take it you are well aware of how confounding your statement "mathematical relationships exist independent of the mind" must be to some people. How do you address some of the big objections to mathematical realism? For instance, how do we obtain mathematical knowledge?

Laika

Premium Member
So, from this, should one infer that you favor the thesis of scientific realism more than you disfavor it (or more than you favor scientific anti-realism)? And, if you do favor scientific realism, do we have any logical reason to resist the conclusion of mathematical realism?

I admit I'm not 100% sure, but I think I am an anti-realist of sorts. As a rule of thumb- if there is some evidence to back it up, it's worth considering. Whilst admittedly I know very little about quantum mechanics and the strangeness of many of its ideas, I would not trust the math in itself. but if someone said that the mathamatics corresponded to an observation, I would take it seriously.

there may be several ways to interpret an observation, but again you cannot say that something is real or true in isolation. you have to interact with the real world, and see what happens and see if things change in the way we expect them to and evolve with our increasing knowledge and mastery of applying scientific knowledge for technical applications. The Marxist idea was that "practice is the criteron of truth" and I think that holds up well- even if it rests on certian assumptions about the nature of knowledge and reality.

Nous

Premium Member
Yes, I started reading the question and realised how long it was and it wasn't in any style of English I understand, so I gave up.
Really? You didn't understand the first sentence, but you decided to answer anyway?

Did you try read and understand any of the articles linked to? Were any of those written in the sort of English that you can comprehend?

Nous

Premium Member
I admit I'm not 100% sure, but I think I am an anti-realist of sorts.
Gosh, Laika, I must say that sounds like a very strange statement from someone who lists "science" as his religion.

I would say that all of the mathematical relations noted in the OP are well verified, at least for their domain or under the conditions in which we can understand them to hold as true.

I ask you the same question I asked Skwim: How do we acquire mathematical knowledge?

Laika

Premium Member
Gosh, Laika, I must say that sounds like a very strange statement from someone who lists "science" as his religion.

I do defer to science as a body of knowledge more often than not. I tend to think it is better to question science, even at the risk of sounding stupid, as it means you actually will understand it better. you have to be prepared to make mistakes (and sometimes if you find out that other people have made the same mistakes it means you are on the right track to reach their level of understanding). asking why things are the way they are is part of the scientific method.

How do we acquire mathematical knowledge?

I'm thinking of mathamatics more as a tool or a language. So gaining knowledge of mathamatics itself in isolation would be like "knowledge" in pure philosophy- it merely increases our ability to express ourselves.

But, if I think of Newton, it was the ability of mathamatics to represent the laws of motion of the planets in their orbits which gave it it's validity as knowledge. The same with Einstein, in that he was able to use the theory of relativity to describe the irregularity of mecury's orbit in the Newtionian system. Its was mathamatics ability to describe those natural processes which made it a powerful scientific tool.

The difference, probably very crudely, is between assuming that the maths is a reflection of reality (which I would describe as the error of realism) and accepting that it is demonstrated to be real only after observations have been made to confirm a hypothesis. In practice, its a relatively minor difference, but I think allows much greater scope for interpretation. Our ideas do not automatically correspond to the object or process we are trying to describe- we have to demonstrate it first in practice to "know" it for sure.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Really? You didn't understand the first sentence, but you decided to answer anyway?

Did you try read and understand any of the articles linked to? Were any of those written in the sort of English that you can comprehend?
Yes and No

Skwim

Veteran Member
Apparently some of our conceptual models have been wrong, or at least not fully generalizable. And presumably that is still the case. Nevertheless, it seems that the new, more generalizable scientific theories retain some degree of the mathematical structure.

I take it you are well aware of how confounding your statement "mathematical relationships exist independent of the mind" must be to some people. How do you address some of the big objections to mathematical realism? For instance, how do we obtain mathematical knowledge?
Step by step, well demonstrated by the unfolding of mathematical understanding.

Start with 2 + 2 = ? ..Then on to
images
...and progress to

........................................................................................................................
image.png

Last edited:

Nous

Premium Member
Laika and Skwim: If mathematics is merely a human invention, and empirical reality is not in some sense inherently mathematical (I’m not sure that either of you are implying that), then why is mathematics so “unreasonably effective” at not just describing empirical reality and empirical laws, but at literally finding those laws, as Wigner notes in his paper: https://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDrama/reading/Wigner.html ? It seems to me that to claim that mathematics is merely a human invention, it leaves the “unreasonable effectiveness” of mathematics in the sciences, especially in the descriptions of the fundamental laws, a giant glowing mystery.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Laika and Skwim: If mathematics is merely a human invention, and empirical reality is not in some sense inherently mathematical (I’m not sure that either of you are implying that), then why is mathematics so “unreasonably effective” at not just describing empirical reality and empirical laws, but at literally finding those laws, as Wigner notes in his paper: https://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDrama/reading/Wigner.html ? It seems to me that to claim that mathematics is merely a human invention, it leaves the “unreasonable effectiveness” of mathematics in the sciences, especially in the descriptions of the fundamental laws, a giant glowing mystery.
You asked, "how do we obtain mathematical knowledge?" which is what my post (#14) addressed, and nothing more. Mathematics, as I regard it, is the manipulation of numbers or numerical relationships, which is far different from their fundamental relationships. .. A² + B² = C² is a fundamental relationship that exists independently of any mind. It is not mathematics.

Last edited:

Nous

Premium Member
You asked, "how do we obtain mathematical knowledge?" which is what my post (#14) addressed, and nothing more. Mathematics, as I regard it, is the manipulation of numbers or numerical relationships, which is far different from their fundamental relationships. .. A² + B² = C² is a fundamental relationship that exists independently of any mind. It is not mathematics.
Thank you for that clarification . . . however, it has left me entirely confused.

It seems extraordinary to me to say that the relation between quantities (between the length of sides of a plane right triangle) proven by the Pythagorean theorem, which expresses a truth about a geometrical object as well as about algebra (or number theory), “is not mathematics.” Are you saying that there is a distinction between the process (manipulating numbers and numerical relationships) by which such mathematical relations (a2 + b2 = c2 ) are proven to be true, and the mathematical relation itself?

If that is what you are saying, is there an important reason for making that distinction between the process of manipulating numbers and numerical relations, and the relations between quantities? Surely Pythagoras and the many others who proved that theorem, in the variety of ways it has been proven, did so by manipulating quantities. Didn't they?

Do you say the same about what is proven by Fermat’s Last Theorem (that an + bn = cn is not true for n > 2), and/or other theorems, as you say about what is proven by the Pythagorean theorem. I.e., that it is a “fundamental relationship that exists independently of any mind” but “is not mathematics”?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Are you saying that there is a distinction between the process (manipulating numbers and numerical relationships) by which such mathematical relations (a2 + b2 = c2 ) are proven to be true, and the mathematical relation itself?

Do you say the same about what is proven by Fermat’s Last Theorem (that an + bn = cn is not true for n > 2), and/or other theorems, as you say about what is proven by the Pythagorean theorem. I.e., that it is a “fundamental relationship that exists independently of any mind” but “is not mathematics”?
Yes. . . . . . . . . . . . I consider mathematics to be the manipulation of numbers or numerical relationships. Of course no need agree with me, but I feel it's a significant distinction.