• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientific proof - NOT

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Too often we encounter
It's only a theory ...

It's only a myth ...​
But these words deserve to be written big:
Not it's only a theory but, rather, it is successful Theory!

Not it's only a myth but, rather, it is successful Myth!​
On the other hand, few misconceptions are more persistent and unhelpful that that embodied in the phrase "scientific proof."
Proofs exist only in mathematics and logic, not in science. Mathematics and logic are both closed, self-contained systems of propositions, whereas science is empirical and deals with nature as it exists. The primary criterion and standard of evaluation of scientific theory is evidence, not proof. All else equal (such as internal logical consistency and parsimony), scientists prefer theories for which there is more and better evidence to theories for which there is less and worse evidence. Proofs are not the currency of science.

Proofs have two features that do not exist in science: They are final, and they are binary. Once a theorem is proven, it will forever be true and there will be nothing in the future that will threaten its status as a proven theorem (unless a flaw is discovered in the proof). Apart from a discovery of an error, a proven theorem will forever and always be a proven theorem.

In contrast, all scientific knowledge is tentative and provisional, and nothing is final. There is no such thing as final proven knowledge in science. The currently accepted theory of a phenomenon is simply the best explanation for it among all available alternatives. Its status as the accepted theory is contingent on what other theories are available and might suddenly change tomorrow if there appears a better theory or new evidence that might challenge the accepted theory. No knowledge or theory (which embodies scientific knowledge) is final. That, by the way, is why science is so much fun.

Further, proofs, like pregnancy, are binary; a mathematical proposition is either proven (in which case it becomes a theorem) or not (in which case it remains a conjecture until it is proven). There is nothing in between. A theorem cannot be kind of proven or almost proven. These are the same as unproven.

In contrast, there is no such binary evaluation of scientific theories. Scientific theories are neither absolutely false nor absolutely true. They are always somewhere in between. Some theories are better, more credible, and more accepted than others. There is always more, more credible, and better evidence for some theories than others. It is a matter of more or less, not either/or. For example, experimental evidence is better and more credible than correlational evidence, but even the former cannot prove a theory; it only provides very strong evidence for the theory and against its alternatives.

- source
Yet reference to "scientific proof" peppers the inane reproof of the creationist-literalist as they insist on broadcasting their ignorance. There's a lesson to be learned here ...

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I learned this a couple years back...

Come to think of it, I learned it from you Jay. It is now being taught in a Catholic classroom.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Regarding theories, problems arise when people confuse "pull it out of your a**" theories with scientifc theories.

Regarding myths, problems arise when people mistake myths as factual occurences, rather than symbolic truths.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
That sounds a bit scary! :eek:

(BTW - how are you?)
I don't want them to make the same mistakes...

I'm ok...just getting older and attending more funerals.

BTW...I make it clear that I'm not qualified to expand on it and just give them references where they can go. Some that I got from you actually. So hopefully it's not too scary.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
The problem is not so much that you're wrong - although you are - but that you actually thought your rehashed comment clever.
Usually one has to go to an elementary school playground to get that level of "debate". I suppose I'm expected to respond in kind?

Nuh-uh! You're wrong!

Oberon

On the other hand, few misconceptions are more persistent and unhelpful that that embodied in the phrase "scientific proof."Yet reference to "scientific proof" peppers the inane reproof of the creationist-literalist as they insist on broadcasting their ignorance. There's a lesson to be learned here ...

This has been the position of science ever since positivism was (rightly) overthrown. Popper et al continually talk about falsifiability rather than proof. However, while I understand the necessity of avoiding proof, I reject wholeheartedly the conclusions of Thomas Kuhn and I think we can do better as far as epistomological theories go than is currently discussed in the philosophy of science.