• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientific means to explore consciousness during the process of dying

Do you think science will explore more the human brain during the process of death to find out whether there is any form of preservation of consciousness during those moments? It's 2017 and so far, the research done in the field of near-death experiences is as unsatisfying as it was back in the early 2000.

Near-death studies - Wikipedia

Shouldn't neuroscience be able to tell us more about the human brain by now?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think neuroscience can only study physical activity and can not study consciousness directly. Neuroscience is very limited in what it can know.

At this point in time, I think evaluation of the human experiences (paranormal experiences) and psychic/spiritual insight from respected sources is way ahead of neuroscience.

Last edited:

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Do you think science will explore more the human brain during the process of death to find out whether there is any form of preservation of consciousness during those moments? It's 2017 and so far, the research done in the field of near-death experiences is as unsatisfying as it was back in the early 2000.

In Islam we are told you are questioned following death:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Being that we, in entirety, are no more than a collection of living organisms that have an amazing way of communicating, I suspect conscious is multifaceted, and not limited to the brain alone.

I think neuroscience can further our understanding of consciousness by the study of how effectual communication works by which the perception of a centralised consciousness is brought about.

idav

Being
Premium Member

We have come a long way in knowledge of the brain but there are still fundamental unanswered questions about how awareness works, where it begins and where it ends. We do know that our mind is dependent on the brain and how fragile our sensory perceptions are but it doesn't answer why consiousness is even a thing. Evolution seems to have awareness as part of its mechanisms allowing for emergence of consciousness but at that point the mind would be isolated as with the brain its attached to.

Ponder This

I think that just because there doesn't appear to be any recent progress in science doesn't mean there won't eventually be.

Dying and coming back to life is a big hurdle for reproducibility. Who's going to verify the experiences?
Step 1: Die.:(
Step 2: Come back to life.:eek:

Easy right?

Twilight Hue

I think that just because there doesn't appear to be any recent progress in science doesn't mean there won't eventually be.

Dying and coming back to life is a big hurdle for reproducibility. Who's going to verify the experiences?
Step 1: Die.:(
Step 2: Come back to life.:eek:

Easy right?
It already happens. Well, in some capacity.

Elements stay the same and molecules form and break apart and reform again. A dead person's entire molecular being will just reform into something else, although that person will be long gone as with any associated memories that are no longer intact.

I guess it's easy and it's not, all in the same go.

Twilight Hue

We have come a long way in knowledge of the brain but there are still fundamental unanswered questions about how awareness works, where it begins and where it ends. We do know that our mind is dependent on the brain and how fragile our sensory perceptions are but it doesn't answer why consiousness is even a thing. Evolution seems to have awareness as part of its mechanisms allowing for emergence of consciousness but at that point the mind would be isolated as with the brain its attached to.
I think the amazing thing about the brain is its ability to retain and recall information and being able to use that ability.

You don't require a brain for awareness, just a nervous system.