• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientific Evidence for Universal Common Descent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
..btw, my arguments are not for any particular theory of origins.. scientifically, i am an origins agnostic.. i believe in God, as do most evolutionists, i just don't buy the 'amoeba to man' theory of common descent. The scientific evidence is just not there.. I don't know how we got here. :shrug:

I argue as a skeptic, and one with a scientific background, that can follow scientific methodology. So attacking YEC is a strawman, not relevant to the debate. COMMON DESCENT, not religious stories of origins, is the debate. Comparative religion should go elsewhere.

And, perhaps i have you outnumbered, even at 30 to one? ;) I'm presenting most of the studies, science, and reasoning.

A reminder:
One point. A link can support, but a link is not an argument nor a point.
No snark, ridicule, or ad hom (the hard part!)
Rational, civil, scientific based arguments.

I'll examine the evidence, and offer a reply.

Snarky, ad hom laced rants will be noted, then dismissed as the irrational ravings of religious fanatics. I might return fire, if one is witty.. ;)
But once the evidence is there. You simply deny it. And you are not a skeptic. By definition skeptics follow the evidence and you do not seem to understand the concept.

So once again:

"Scientific evidence is evidence which serves to either support or counter a scientific theory or hypothesis. Such evidence is expected to be empirical evidence and interpretation in accordance with scientific method. Standards for scientific evidence vary according to the field of inquiry, but the strength of scientific evidence is generally based on the results of statistical analysis and the strength of scientific controls."

When looking at a model and supposed evidence there are only two questions to ask. Is the model testable. If yes we can move to step two. Is the observed evidence what the model predicts? If the answer is yes to both questions it is by definition scientific evidence for a concept.

Also I must one more time point out that you do not understand the concept of an ad hom. There have been snarky comments, but you went out of your way to earn them so it is just a bit hypocritical to complain about them.

Bear Wild

No, I'd prefer a rational, scientific based discussion, and call for that constantly. Ironic that you blame me for the hecklers.. :rolleyes:

I ignore the hecklers, and those who cannot show a modicum of civility. I ignore NOTHING, relating to the topic, and have had to sift through vague, unsubstantiated assertions to find a point to address.

I am very familiar with the studies on e.coli. i have read the published studies, not just journalistic 'explanations!' that tell what 'it really means!'

I'm a pathetic science geek, who knows the lingo, can't be bluffed, and can see through any attempts at techno babble obfuscation. ;)

Not really. All it shows is the ability for e.coli to ADAPT to a wide range of environmental variables. They did not change in their basic architecture. They are still bacteria.. E.COLI bacteria. They did not become insects, sprout wings, grow legs, or 'evolve!' into anything. It is a huge leap of faith, and willful, science denying dogmatism, to pretend that e.coli, adapting to digest citrates, 'proves universal common descent!'

Ah, so Trump is the new 'Hitler!' :D

Very funny evidence, for common descent.. :facepalm:

I guess we have a new fallacy for the ETBs to use!

Reductio ad Trumpum, or
Argumentum ad Donaldium..

' Hitler!' ..:eek:... gets boring..
Good to mix those up a bit! :D
I never mentioned Hitler I mentioned the techniques of Donald trump to avoid the obvious evidence and important issues . It is similar to what you do. You clearly do not understand the studies on E. coli. No one would expect in the limited time for the bacteria to change form especially in a uniform environment under such a limited period of time. That's why I asked you if you accepted natural selection and of course you do not respond to avoid the issue. That is the technique I was referring too.
As for the E. coli I gave two specific articles that explained the impressive genetic change and the types of change during the experiment period. You then make ridiculous statements showing a total lack of basic scientific understanding of these studies. You said " They did not become insects, sprout wings, grow legs, or 'evolve!' into anything." Perfect example of the reckless statements of creationists/ID proponents. Now if the E.coli turned into insects in the study parameters, there would be a piece of evidence that would question evolution but they didn't. What they did do which you fail to grasp is alter there genetic code in multiple ways as would be predicted by evolutionary theory. The studies are another piece of clear evidence supporting evolutionary theory.

What is clear is you cannot argue the components of evolutionary theory thus you go for the impossible. Forty years of debating evolution has not served you well. The only way to understand common descent is to see how all the pieces fit and support each other. You grasp the concept of variation now again I am asking do you accept the concept of natural selection or will you avoid the question.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
..that explains a lot.. not much point for me to reply to you, then, with your reading comprehension issues.. ;)

ROFL!!

I'm amused by your projection.. the obsession, attacks, and hateful rhetoric is all yours. I try to deflect the deadly seriousness of the tones, here, with whimsy and silly puns. But it just seems to enrage you more.. :shrug:

LOL!! No, i reply to the posts.. not all of them, because i can't take them seriously. But i do notice that you'd rather rail at me, rather than touch scientific evidence for your beliefs.. :shrug:

Attack Attack!! ROFL!!

Yes, i am so intimidated by your collective juvenile antics.. i weep into my pillow for hours, every night.. :rolleyes:

whatever works for you. I like the scientific method, myself.. :shrug:

But i suppose censorship, shouting down the opposition, and antifa style heckling IS more effective..

30 to one is nothing. Besides, neither truth nor science is a democratic process. Many coast along on their Indoctrination, and never ask questions, or question authority. I bring another perspective, free from institutional propaganda. Do with it what you will.
I comprehend very well. That babble you wrote says that foxes and skunks are not related. They are mammals and possess all the characters that establish that relationship.

This is just more of your diversionary tactics, insults and nothings that you use in place of meaningful responses. You still have not answered any question I have asked, but you managed to find the time to insult me. And most everyone else. How nice.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No, I'd prefer a rational, scientific based discussion, and call for that constantly. Ironic that you blame me for the hecklers.. :rolleyes:

I ignore the hecklers, and those who cannot show a modicum of civility. I ignore NOTHING, relating to the topic, and have had to sift through vague, unsubstantiated assertions to find a point to address.

I am very familiar with the studies on e.coli. i have read the published studies, not just journalistic 'explanations!' that tell what 'it really means!'

I'm a pathetic science geek, who knows the lingo, can't be bluffed, and can see through any attempts at techno babble obfuscation. ;)

Not really. All it shows is the ability for e.coli to ADAPT to a wide range of environmental variables. They did not change in their basic architecture. They are still bacteria.. E.COLI bacteria. They did not become insects, sprout wings, grow legs, or 'evolve!' into anything. It is a huge leap of faith, and willful, science denying dogmatism, to pretend that e.coli, adapting to digest citrates, 'proves universal common descent!'

Ah, so Trump is the new 'Hitler!' :D

Very funny evidence, for common descent.. :facepalm:

I guess we have a new fallacy for the ETBs to use!

Reductio ad Trumpum, or
Argumentum ad Donaldium..

' Hitler!' ..:eek:... gets boring..
Good to mix those up a bit! :D
When are you going to start your end of this so called rational debate. Answer relevant questions is a part of rational debate, yet you seem to avoid them like they were made of plague. But you waste time on posts like this.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Ad hominem != Attack.

And

Attack != Ad hominem.

You should use this lil' guide.

How can you like something you don't understand? Oh right, right. I did post a link to wikipedia explaining what the Dunning-Kruger effect is.

Yeah. It's especially nothing if you're trying to make the point that we're shouting down the opposition... Because it kind of makes it look like we're the opposition and you're shouting at all of us.

You literally hand waved every valid post with invalid ranting and crying. And then cried some more. And more. And more. And more.

It's really sad. It was funny for the first couple of pages, but it's been just you repeating the same old thing like a parrot: You're the one being persecuted and attacked.

FREE FROM INSTITUTIONAL PROPAGANDA?!?!?!?!! I'm so glad i wasn't eating cereal when i read that. That's some wacky tobaccy you smoking.
I would place my money on his graduation with honors from Dunning Kruger University.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
The Big Problem.. the Central Flaw of the theory of common descent, is the false equivalency. 'Macro', is not 'micro'. Horizontal variability within the genetic parameters is observable, repeatable, and has been going on for millennia. Vertical changes in the genomic architecture is speculated, believed, and assumed. It has NOT been observed, cannot be repeated (not for lack of trying!), and is a belief.. a quasi religious belief, masquerading in a lab coat.
Aside from some made up terminology and misused terminology, there is just assertion without substance. What does "Horizontal variability within the genetic parameters is observable, repeatable, and has been going on for millennia" even mean. It is not from science. Is this in reference to horizontal gene flow?

What does "vertical changes in the genomic architecture" mean? Are you still trying to refute heredity and reproduction?

This is all babble that says nothing.

Show me. Provide any evidence that living things can add traits, increase complexity, go from cold to warm blooded, evolve an eye, sprout wings, feathers, scales, or any such imagination that has never been observed.. only believed, with typical religious fervor..
You show us. You are the one claiming it cannot happen.

Common descent is a religious belief, indoctrinated for an ideological agenda..
Then demonstrate that with some actual evidence.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Aside from some made up terminology and misused terminology, there is just assertion without substance. What does "Horizontal variability within the genetic parameters is observable, repeatable, and has been going on for millennia" even mean. It is not from science. Is this in reference to horizontal gene flow?

What does "vertical changes in the genomic architecture" mean? Are you still trying to refute heredity and reproduction?

This is all babble that says nothing.

You show us. You are the one claiming it cannot happen.

Then demonstrate that with some actual evidence.
Careful, you might be accused of being snarky:eek:

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
The only evidence of change is micro.. horizontal changes within the haplotree of an organism. Certain equids became reproductively isolated, and narrowed into limited variables in their respective haplogroups. They share the mtDNA marker that indicates descent. They are the tips of the branches of the haplotree. Some dead ended, and those traits are no longer around.

The same with man. The various races and geographically isolated haplogroups all descended from the same human ancestor. The variability that was in the earliest ancestors was spread about as humans migrated throughout the world. They became isolated with certain morphological features, but not to the point of reproductive isolation. Canidae is similar. Lots of diversity, but few instances of reproductive isolation. They are related, because you can trace the mtDNA marker in them.

Within humans, canidae, and equidae, there is ample evidence of ancestry AND diversity, but NO evidence that they came from another organism, or are becoming something else, with a different genetic structure. The canid line has remained canids, and only produces more canids, with less diversity from the narrowing gene pool to draw from.

The genes from apes are completely different, and have little crossover ability for humans. Pigs are used more in genetic research for humans, because they are more similar, and can fool the host more often.
So you have nothing than, but this nonsense.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Careful, you might be accused of being snarky:eek:
You don't think he would do that? No. He is going to continue to answer all the relevant questions I have asked, just like he has since I started posting. It is part of his haplotree, horizontal genetic architecture that does not reflect the micro-vertical genetic architecture of the macro in Canidae, Muscidae, Mesoveliidae, Canthon, Onthophagus, Phyllophaga, Cotinis, and points east.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
..btw, my arguments are not for any particular theory of origins.. scientifically, i am an origins agnostic.. i believe in God, as do most evolutionists, i just don't buy the 'amoeba to man' theory of common descent. The scientific evidence is just not there.. I don't know how we got here. :shrug:
Wait a minute. Here you are claiming that most people that accept evolution and/or study believe in God. Then what is all the comments about atheists about?

Clearly, you do not understand the evidence or the science and are just ignoring it.

I argue as a skeptic, and one with a scientific background, that can follow scientific methodology. So attacking YEC is a strawman, not relevant to the debate. COMMON DESCENT, not religious stories of origins, is the debate. Comparative religion should go elsewhere.
You are not skeptical. You have already mentioned how you are going to refute common descent. You talk about rational debate and discussion, yet engage in none of that. That is not skepticism.

And, perhaps i have you outnumbered, even at 30 to one? ;) I'm presenting most of the studies, science, and reasoning.
You are making assertions and spending a lot of time insulting other people. Not so much science or sound reasoning.

A reminder:
One point. A link can support, but a link is not an argument nor a point.
No snark, ridicule, or ad hom (the hard part!)
Rational, civil, scientific based arguments.
Here we go again.

I'll examine the evidence, and offer a reply.
That will be the day.

Snarky, ad hom laced rants will be noted, then dismissed as the irrational ravings of religious fanatics. I might return fire, if one is witty.. ;)
Here we go again. You may think you are witty, but you are only half right.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I ignore the hecklers, and those who cannot show a modicum of civility.
This is a lie. You have made more posts attacking people for heckling than you have made posts about the actual topic. You're clearly not ignoring them, but playing them up.

I ignore NOTHING, relating to the topic, and have had to sift through vague, unsubstantiated assertions to find a point to address.
This is also a lie. Many posters have linked evidence, studies and observations and put forward questions that you have not responded to you. You've yet to answer a single one of my posts that actually contains links to scientific sources, for example.

Statements like this demonstrate a fundamental misunderstanding of what evolution shows, and a clear dishonesty in debating it.

Evolution does not produce "something else", it produces "variations of what is". You asked for examples of mutations producing new traits in living populations, and e.coli are a perfect example of that. When that challenge is answered, you change the terms from "new traits" to "new organism", as if that's what evolution should say.

But it doesn't. If you wish to debate honestly, as you say you do, you should now admit that your assertion that "new traits" are not observed to evolve is false, and have the humility to admit that you were wrong.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
I'm fine with adaptation, variation, 'micro', or whatever labels are preferred. That is observable, repeatable science. It has been used for thousands of years in breeding and hybridization.
There is abundant evidence that shows living things varying within their genetic parameters.

Where it gets troublesome, is in EXTRAPOLATING the variations within a haplogroup into a distinctly different haplogroup. That is NOT observed, cannot be repeated, and is merely a belief. It does not happen naturally, neither can we force it under laboratory conditions.

So in essence, we have to delineate between 'micro', which is observed variation, and 'macro', that is presumed, from cumulative changes.

But none of the changes in a micro, horizontal variance modify the basic architecture of the genome. They do not add traits, chromosome pairs, or any genotypic movement in a verticle, structural way.

Adding traits, making new genes, increasing complexity.. none of these can be observed, repeated, or tested. It is ASSUMED, based only on plausibility and 'looks like!' morphology.

But please, present your arguments and evidence, for what you believe to be observed changes in the genomic architecture.
Then please comment on my earlier observation:
On that basis you must agree that the absence of any different anatomical features and similarity of form and function defines Bonobos, Chimps and Humans (as well as Orangs and Gorillas) as results of microevolutionary processes acting on a common ancestor.

Yes, it is difficult to have a rational, scientific discussion with hecklers and disrupters about. But that is part of it. You will have the advantage of raucous cheering, 'likes' on your posts, etc, while i will have boos, mocking, and cat calls..

Still, this is public forum, and a public debate, and i have waded in here boldly with a premise. I prefer to continue this venture, for a while.

I am not looking for instruction. I know the material. I am challenging the status quo of belief in this theory, that has become a religion in the modern culture. Memorized dogma, not scientific methodology, have been the tools of this belief into a gullible populace.It is a simple request:

Evidence for common descent.

Is it compelling? Or flawed? Anyone want to look?
You have been given excellent evidence, why should anyone waste further time on your trolling?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
The Big Problem.. the Central Flaw of the theory of common descent, is the false equivalency. 'Macro', is not 'micro'. Horizontal variability within the genetic parameters is observable, repeatable, and has been going on for millennia. Vertical changes in the genomic architecture is speculated, believed, and assumed. It has NOT been observed, cannot be repeated (not for lack of trying!), and is a belief.. a quasi religious belief, masquerading in a lab coat.
Again, this is a vague argument because you cannot specifically define at what point genetic variance becomes "too much", and nor can you specify what mechanism prevents variation beyond a particular point. You simply argue, in contradiction of everything that is currently known about genetics and the fossil record, that there is some invisible barrier that evolution cannot go beyond. You need to define where this barrier sits and what it actually is, because until then you haven't got an argument.

Also, once again, macro-evolution refers to evolution above the level of species, which has been directly observed multiple times. So we don't need to extrapolate micro from macro - we have directly observed both.

Show me. Provide any evidence that living things can add traits, increase complexity, go from cold to warm blooded, evolve an eye, sprout wings, feathers, scales, or any such imagination that has never been observed.. only believed, with typical religious fervor..
Dozens of links and studies have been presented to you. Why are you ignoring them.

Common descent is a religious belief, indoctrinated for an ideological agenda..
And what is that ideological agenda, pray tell?

usfan

..hmm..

..still not much to address, regarding evidence. I'll trade a few barbs, since that is the Real Interest, here, but i sound like a broken record:

Show me the evidence.

I expected arguments of vestigiality, homology, fossils, quotes from Really Smart People, references to scientific studies, and the like. But i think the realization is sinking in for the True Believers.. there just isn't much out there, to justify a belief in common descent. Logical and evidentiary based arguments give way to Deflections. I should list a few, since they are so popular! ;)

But to summarize to now, i have seen these arguments presented in this debate:

1. Phylogenetic tree
2. E.coli
3. Micro accumulations = macro
4. Genes are all the same, and interchangeable
5. DNA!
6. Embrionic Development

There may be more.. and of course the resident hecklers occasionally include a rational argument in their barrages of ad hom, but i have set the ground rules for my involvement.

My summary replies:
1. Circular reasoning, based on 'looks like!' morphology. Just because someone can draw a tree, showing similarities in living things, and imply a progression of evolution, does not mean it happened.
2. E coli is, has been, and apparently will be, a bacteria. It has amazing adaptive qualities, but there is no evidence it evolved from some ancestral genomic architecture, or is evolving to something else. This is not macro evolution.
3. The 'cumulative change!' assertion is a false equivalence. It is a speculative projection, that since we can observe variability among genetic haplogroups, organisms can also change structurally. This is a belief, with no scientific evidence. Since canids can vary so much in their morphology, perhaps they can change into another genotype. Time and wishful thinking is the only mechanism for this fantasy.
5. Genes and DNA are not 'all the same!' The cellular composition is, but they are not cross haplogroup compatible. They are not lego blocks, that can be rearranged to create anything you want.
6. This is another argument of plausibility. If you squint your eyes, hold your tongue just right, and believe with all your heart, you can 'See!' common descent in an embryo! 'That looks like a fish!, therefore, evolution!' But it is not a fish. It is a developing embryo. Any 'looks like!' speculations are imagination excesses, not science. There are no gills, it has no tail, and the genetic blueprint for the organism is in place, and it is growing into the organism delineated by its genes.

If any scientific evidence is presented, without having to sift out paragraphs of hysteria and ad hom, i would be happy to examine it. What do you say? Are you confident in the evidentiary base of your beliefs? Or is that too dangerous a venture?

usfan

Since not much scientific evidence has been presented, and with my love of lists, i should categorize the replies that have been given. Much time, energy, and enthusiasm have been expended, to avoid dealing with science. 'Why?', is a good question, but I'll look at the 'What?', for now.

Deflections, instead of evidence:

Techno Babble Obfuscation
We haven't had this a lot, but it is a popular deflection. Rather than communication for clarity and understanding, obfuscation and dazzling BS is substituted. Nobody has a clue what was said, especially the person who said it! But bedazzlement is the intent, not clarity.

Moral Outrage
This one is very common. Indignation at the gross stupidity, deliberate deception, and violation of the sacred tenets of the faith cause a knee jerk response of Righteous Indignation. No specific scientific evidence or rational arguments are mentioned, just outrage at the blasphemy.

Definitional Dodge
This deflection bogs down a discussion with endless bickering over words. Plain, normal usage of terms is muddied with multiple possible meanings, until understanding surrenders. Truth is besieged and muddied, and any epistemology becomes imaginations of fantasy.

Absolute Error
No matter what i say, it is automatically, categorically, and Absolutely, 'Wrong!!' If i say the sky is blue, there will be no agreement, just assertions of, 'Wrong!', 'Ignorant!', 'Liar!', and the like.

Personal Obsession
This is the most common. It is just old fashioned ad hominem, but denial and constant use have redefined it for the users. 'You're really stupid, and that's not an ad hominem!' Any argument 'to the man', rather than the topic, is ad hominem. Speculations about motives, education, understanding, peripheral beliefs, hat size, sexual preference.. these are all ad hominem fallacies. They do not address the topic, but deflect from it.

Reductio Ad Nazium
This is a poison the well type fallacy, or implied guilt by association. By comparing me to Hitler, Trump, serial killers, conspiracy theorists, etc, the hope is the arguments i give will be diminished by doubt. 'He likes Hitler! You can't listen to someone like that!

Bluff
This is pretending that the poster has already demolished every argument in the past. Fist pumps and declarations of victory abound, but the actual rebuttals or evidence? Nonexistent.

Correlation Implies Causation
The belief that a similarity of function, utility, and appearance 'proves common descent!' No evidence of the 'causation', just correlation.

Looks Like! Plausibility
This is the primary, underlying argument for common descent. This is the argument of homologous structures, the phylogenetic tree, and almost all extrapolation regarding common descent. It 'looks like!' it could have happened, therfore it did. A complex scenario is imagined, with NO EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE, to convince people, just plausibility. It seems to have worked.

Last edited:

usfan

A few more gems from the peanut gallery. ;)

I still wonder if i don't really outnumber you guys... i think you are in over your collective heads, and try to skate by on ad hom, righteous indignation, and bluff.. :shrug:

you do not yet have a very firm grasp of the theory itself.
you do not understand the concept of scientific evidence
you do not understand
You clearly do not understand
you do not respond to avoid the issue
You then make ridiculous statements showing a total lack of basic scientific understanding
Clearly, you do not understand the evidence or the science and are just ignoring it.
This is a lie.
This is also a lie
You have been given excellent evidence, why should anyone waste further time on your trolling
Dozens of links and studies have been presented to you. Why are you ignoring them.

This one wins a prize for wittiness!
Here we go again. You may think you are witty, but you are only half right.

Brilliant! :D. I gave you a 'like' for that. It was a refreshing respite from the barrages of humorless bile that is usually thrown at me.

usfan

Since the thread is going to the dogs, and, since many posters are being dogmatic, and, since it is a dog eat dog world, it is only fitting to look at canidae.. ;)

What does man's best friend have to say about universal common descent?

I read the following study several years ago, and found a wealth of information about canidae.. many old beliefs or assumptions have been corrected by hard genetic evidence. It has interesting facts about dogs, & their genetic base.

Relaxation of selective constraint on dog mitochondrial DNA following domestication

This is a study by evolutionists, with the assumptions of evolution dispersed throughout. They even quote Darwin. Here is a summary of some of the points, with quotes from the study in italics:

1. The ancestor of wolves, coyotes, dogs, and other canidae is unknown, appears suddenly, and contained all the genetic information for each haplotype. the origin of the huge morphological diversity that led Darwin to his speculation remains largely unknown
2. All of the current variety of dogs are recent developments, less than 200 yrs old. Recent studies show that the origin of most dog breeds may derive from very recent selective breeding practices and are probably <200 yr old
3. Selection acts on EXISTING variability. It is not created on the fly, & is assumed to take thousands or millions of years to come about.selection acts upon existing variability
4. ALL of this variability EXISTED in the ancestral wolf/parent, according to the time frame in the UCD model. It is remarkable that the potential for such large diversification existed in the ancestral wolf population
5. The recent time for the variety of dog breeds is incongruent with the assumption of 'millions' or even thousands of years of evolution, to generate such variety. Furthermore, the time since domestication seems insufficient to generate substantial additional genetic diversity.

The child branches within canidae show REDUCING variability, as the diverse genetic information became localized in the various phenotypes.

The mtDNA provides clear evidence of the descendancy within canidae, but the time frame is incompatible with the UCD model.

You can see from the following chart, where they mapped the genome sequence, & followed the trail of the mtDNA:

F1.medium.gif

From the link:
"Phylogenetic tree of wolf (W), dog (D), and coyote (C) mtDNA sequences. The tree was constructed using a Bayesian approach. The same topology was obtained with a neighbor-joining approach. Support is indicated at the nodes as percent bootstrap support for 1000 neighbor-joining replicates and Bayesian posterior probabilities. Four clades of dog sequences (I to IV) are indicated as in Vilà et al. (1997). Internal dog branches are marked in orange, and internal wolf branches are marked in light blue. The branch leading to wolf haplotype W1 was basal to the rest of the tree and it was also considered internal. Internal branches that could not be conclusively associated to dogs or to wolves are indicated in discontinuous green."

As you can see, the mtDNA shows the ancestry line. The canid ancestor preceded the wolf, the dog, & the coyote, as well as other canidae not listed. I have seen them in other genetic studies. But all this does is indicate descendancy, and shows the variability to be INHERENT in the genes. It was not created on the fly, or mutated over millions of years. There is no evidence for those speculations.

Canidae shows diversity and adaptability. There is no evidence they shared ancestry with felids, equids, or any other haplogroup. We can follow the MICRO variations within canidae, but there is NOTHING to suggest they were once of a different genetic structure, or varied to or from a MACRO change. Canids have always been canids, and always produce canids, though with reduced variability, as we reach the ends of the branches in their haplotree.

And btw, this phylogenetic tree has evidence to support it. The genetic lines can be traced, not just presumed. But leaping to 'common descent!', based on the diversity within canidae is unwarranted, unscientific, and unbelievable..

Also, to clarify terms, 'haplotype' is the specific clade or branch in this tree, like dogs, coyotes, etc. The haplogroup is all the haplotypes together. Canidae, for the most part, consists of the single haplogroup of genetic commonality and evidenced descendancy. Genetics has replaced and updated the old morphological taxonomic classifications, which were one limited to 'looks like!' correlation. Now, we have hard science, not just speculation.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Since the thread is going to the dogs, and, since many posters are being dogmatic, and, since it is a dog eat dog world, it is only fitting to look at canidae.. ;)

What does man's best friend have to say about universal common descent?

I read the following study several years ago, and found a wealth of information about canidae.. many old beliefs or assumptions have been corrected by hard genetic evidence. It has interesting facts about dogs, & their genetic base.

Relaxation of selective constraint on dog mitochondrial DNA following domestication

This is a study by evolutionists, with the assumptions of evolution dispersed throughout. They even quote Darwin. Here is a summary of some of the points, with quotes from the study in italics:

1. The ancestor of wolves, coyotes, dogs, and other canidae is unknown, appears suddenly, and contained all the genetic information for each haplotype. the origin of the huge morphological diversity that led Darwin to his speculation remains largely unknown
2. All of the current variety of dogs are recent developments, less than 200 yrs old. Recent studies show that the origin of most dog breeds may derive from very recent selective breeding practices and are probably <200 yr old
3. Selection acts on EXISTING variability. It is not created on the fly, & is assumed to take thousands or millions of years to come about.selection acts upon existing variability
4. ALL of this variability EXISTED in the ancestral wolf/parent, according to the time frame in the UCD model. It is remarkable that the potential for such large diversification existed in the ancestral wolf population
5. The recent time for the variety of dog breeds is incongruent with the assumption of 'millions' or even thousands of years of evolution, to generate such variety. Furthermore, the time since domestication seems insufficient to generate substantial additional genetic diversity.

The child branches within canidae show REDUCING variability, as the diverse genetic information became localized in the various phenotypes.

The mtDNA provides clear evidence of the descendancy within canidae, but the time frame is incompatible with the UCD model.

You can see from the following chart, where they mapped the genome sequence, & followed the trail of the mtDNA:

F1.medium.gif

From the link:
"Phylogenetic tree of wolf (W), dog (D), and coyote (C) mtDNA sequences. The tree was constructed using a Bayesian approach. The same topology was obtained with a neighbor-joining approach. Support is indicated at the nodes as percent bootstrap support for 1000 neighbor-joining replicates and Bayesian posterior probabilities. Four clades of dog sequences (I to IV) are indicated as in Vilà et al. (1997). Internal dog branches are marked in orange, and internal wolf branches are marked in light blue. The branch leading to wolf haplotype W1 was basal to the rest of the tree and it was also considered internal. Internal branches that could not be conclusively associated to dogs or to wolves are indicated in discontinuous green."

As you can see, the mtDNA shows the ancestry line. The canid ancestor preceded the wolf, the dog, & the coyote, as well as other canidae not listed. I have seen them in other genetic studies. But all this does is indicate descendancy, and shows the variability to be INHERENT in the genes. It was not created on the fly, or mutated over millions of years. There is no evidence for those speculations.

Canidae shows diversity and adaptability. There is no evidence they shared ancestry with felids, equids, or any other haplogroup. We can follow the MICRO variations within canidae, but there is NOTHING to suggest they were once of a different genetic structure, or varied to or from a MACRO change. Canids have always been canids, and always produce canids, though with reduced variability, as we reach the ends of the branches in their haplotree.

And btw, this phylogenetic tree has evidence to support it. The genetic lines can be traced, not just presumed. But leaping to 'common descent!', based on the diversity within canidae is unwarranted, unscientific, and unbelievable..

Also, to clarify terms, 'haplotype' is the specific clade or branch in this tree, like dogs, coyotes, etc. The haplogroup is all the haplotypes together. Canidae, for the most part, consists of the single haplogroup of genetic commonality and evidenced descendancy. Genetics has replaced and updated the old morphological taxonomic classifications, which were one limited to 'looks like!' correlation. Now, we have hard science, not just speculation.
In my post #247, I asked you please provide evidence from geneticists that gives evidence for this supposed wall between micro- and macro-. but you have failed to deliver and thus avoided any direct response with such evidence.

But don't feel too bad as every time one of us asks for such evidence all we tend to hear are crickets. Why? Because there's not one shred of evidence that such a "wall" exists. As an anthropologist, now retired, we are given some basic training in genetics, and I do believe that if such a "wall" existed we would well be aware of it.

Any serious theology will take what is known and build from that, so if any religion or denomination refuses to acknowledge what is well established then that must be declared a fraudulent religion/denomination as the Truth cannot be relative.

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.

So you still don't understand ad hominem? You make for a terrible rhetorician.

If you are lying, then an observation about you lying is not ad hominem, but observation.

I think the only thing you've done with your constant abuse of the term is reduce its effectiveness.

But go right ahead. I'm sure muddying a concept you're relying on as a crutch will strengthen your position.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
1. Phylogenetic tree
2. E.coli
3. Micro accumulations = macro
4. Genes are all the same, and interchangeable
5. DNA!
6. Embrionic Development
Because you can sum up all the evidence so easily, right? It's as simple as that?

I sense impending strawmen. Possibly a straw army.

My summary replies:
1. Circular reasoning, based on 'looks like!' morphology. Just because someone can draw a tree, showing similarities in living things, and imply a progression of evolution, does not mean it happened.
It's not circular reasoning to determine clear nested hierarchies in the fossil record to be evidence of common ancestry. By the same token, a perfect line of footsteps leading from a murder scene to your front door doesn't mean you necessarily carried out the murder - but it's pretty compelling evidence, wouldn't you agree? Especially when you consider that you also happen to have the murder weapon on you, were covered in the victim's DNA and several eye-witnesses saw you.

2. E coli is, has been, and apparently will be, a bacteria. It has amazing adaptive qualities, but there is no evidence it evolved from some ancestral genomic architecture, or is evolving to something else. This is not macro evolution.
Strawman and moving the goalposts. You requested examples of new traits evolving, and e-coli represent a perfect example of exactly that. Once again, you insist of vagueries like "genomic architecture" or evolving into "something else" but fail to specify what these mean in order to escape actually having to risk us providing you an example of that very thing, or of demonstrating that your belief with regards to how evolution works or what the theory claims is false.

3. The 'cumulative change!' assertion is a false equivalence. It is a speculative projection, that since we can observe variability among genetic haplogroups, organisms can also change structurally. This is a belief, with no scientific evidence. Since canids can vary so much in their morphology, perhaps they can change into another genotype. Time and wishful thinking is the only mechanism for this fantasy.
Strawman, since evolution doesn't "change" a genotype into another, it produces variations WITHIN a genotype. That's how common ancestry works. Humans evolved from apes because humans a variety of apes; apes evolved from mammals because apes are a variety of mammals; mammals evolved from vertebrates because they are a variety of vertebrates; and vertebrates evolved from eukaryotes because they are a variety of eukaryotes.

5. Genes and DNA are not 'all the same!' The cellular composition is, but they are not cross haplogroup compatible. They are not lego blocks, that can be rearranged to create anything you want.
You keep saying this, but fail to elaborate on exactly what you mean, and when asked to demonstrate that there are different types of DNA, you fail to respond. This is just meaningless. The fact is that all living things share DNA, and the amount shared across species "just so happens" to fit perfectly with predictions based on common ancestry. Something that you are incapable of explaining or addressing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.