• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientific American Backs a Presidential Candidate

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Would it make more sense for them to back the candidate with an anti-science agenda? :rolleyes:

It makes perfect sense for a science magazine to fight against scientific illiteracy. I don't want to see my dopey country get even dopier, either.
Defending Biden?
Were it my mag, I'd support neither illiterate.
They should've drafted @exchemist & me to run.
(He'd be VP cuz of the birtherism issue.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Science doesn't have a political bias. Science only becomes "political" when people deny it. In this sense, if it weren't "biased" it would cease to be scientific.
Ideally it doesn't, but when it's practiced by humans,
politics can indeed infect it. I'm thinking of earthquake
predictions in Italy, & Ameristan's genetic research, &
space exploration.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Political bias. What could go wrong?
There is no evidence at all that Scientific American has a political bias. Or, if you you think you have some, please produce it.

However, when you have such a uniquely bad president, who goes out of his way to dismiss science and to embrace phony notions whenever it suits him, it forces previously non-political institutions to take sides. That is what, as the editorial makes clear, applies here.

Trump attacks science. By doing that he damages the country he was elected to serve. That is their point.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There is no evidence at all that Scientific American has a political bias. Or, if you you think you have some, please produce it.

However, when you have such a uniquely bad president, who goes out of his way to dismiss science and to embrace phony notions whenever it suits him, it forces previously non-political institutions to take sides. That is what, as the editorial makes clear, applies here.

Trump attacks science. By doing that he damages the country he was elected to serve. That is their point.
I see. Endorsing an incoherent, confused, and forgetful candidate to lead a nation is practicing sound science.

Right.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I see. Endorsing an incoherent, confused, and forgetful candidate to lead a nation is practicing sound science.

Right.

You think them backing a candidate is scientific? Rather, I think they are subjectively judging the candidates on their impact...positive or negative...on the scientific community.

It seems pretty simple, really, but obfuscation appears the new normal in some quarters.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You think them backing a candidate is scientific? Rather, I think they are subjectively judging the candidates on their impact...positive or negative...on the scientific community.

It seems pretty simple, really, but obfuscation appears the new normal in some quarters.
Suddenly its all based on emotional responses from being 'attacked' so one must now go the political route?

Its bias all right. Otherwise it would continue on unabated as always with no concerns by just sticking with scientific subjects and not bothered by such distraction and nonsense.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Right.
Biden, unlike Trump, does not have a record of attacking science and promoting wacky theories. His campaign stance makes clear he listens to science, both on Covid 19 and on climate change. There is every reason to expect a Biden presidency to restore rationality to American government. However old he may be, it is clear he is rational.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Suddenly its all based on emotional responses from being 'attacked' so one must now go the political route?

Its bias all right. Otherwise it would continue on unabated as always with no concerns by just sticking with scientific subjects and not bothered by such distraction and nonsense.

Where do you think this 'bias' comes from?
Why have they decided to comment?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Why do people keep saying Trump is a moron? This is his latest science-based insight into covid:

“With time it goes away. And you’ll develop like a herd mentality. It’s going to be herd developed, and that’s going to happen. That will all happen.”

A herd mentality?

What the...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Political bias. What could go wrong?
Scientific American has always done opinion pieces for as long as I can remember. They're big into encouraging positions that are in line with both an ethical stance and an understanding of the relevant science.