• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sciences as a religion.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Religions are based on beliefs. Science is based on beliefs

Do you know why we say known universe. No its not because we know its the universe. Its because its all that we can currently see.

Some scientists believe the Universe is 100 times bigger than what we can see but there is no limit and past experiences shows scientists are usually conservative because they don't want to be embarassed.

Remember we believed the world was flat. Its the same thing we believe we know the universe.

You know of the different classes of galaxies. The Milkyway is a spiral galaxy.

We have Spiral, Elliptical, and Irregular yet all of them operate with the same constants that the Milkyway has. Why because we have scientific evidence that says so. No the truth is that we know no other way so we apply our known standards to all the other gallaxies. Its not a problem we aren't going there any time soon. A 100 years from now and scientific beliefs may change.

Did you know not one vacine will cure 100 percent of the people. The top numbers are at about 90%. 10% of 6 billion people is a lot a people it doesn't work for. Scientists will give you a lot of reason's it doesn't work and tell you 90% is a reasonably good number. Well a lot of vacines are barely over 50%. More than 70% of Americans believe in God. I wonder why thats not a good percentage.

How about DNA. The best number I ever got is 99.9994%. Now mind you it can't separate identical twins at all but most of us aren't twins. The lowest number I got was 97% I will use the best. Using 6 billion there's possibly 36000 people that could be similar to you. In the US alone 305 million there's 1830 people that could have similar results to you. How long would it take someone to rob a bank in NJ and drive to CA. Its a small percentage don't worry about it.

What part of science is fact none, it all relies on belief. Even simple math. We all know you can't divide by zero (my favorite comment). If I asked you to divide an apple zero times you know you would have an apple. Science gives you formula's to explain that it is impossible and ridicules anyone who reasonably shows you the apple and zero divisions.

In conclusion(I am keeping it short) science basically works off of beliefs and in my mind is a religion.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
This should get a few.

Evolution, Its pretty interesting that the scientific view of how all life begins is just from observing one world out of thousands of worlds.

All evolution is based solely on what we know of the earth. We know of one type of life and all life has to develop the same way.

We look for life on other planets based on our life on this one. We can not yet conceive any other way for life to develop.

1 out of say a thousand worlds. Thats .001 kinda a small number to say all life develops like this.

Looncall

This should get a few.

Evolution, Its pretty interesting that the scientific view of how all life begins is just from observing one world out of thousands of worlds.

All evolution is based solely on what we know of the earth. We know of one type of life and all life has to develop the same way.

We look for life on other planets based on our life on this one. We can not yet conceive any other way for life to develop.

1 out of say a thousand worlds. Thats .001 kinda a small number to say all life develops like this.

All of this is erroneous.

No-one claims that all life in the universe must develop in the same way as it has on earth. Alternate chemistries based on other elements than carbon have been looked into.

Observation of distant objects has confirmed that physics, and therefore chemistry, works the same there as here.

There are far more than 1000 planets in the universe.

Your ignorance is leading you astray. You might like to look up the Dunning-Kruger effect.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
All of this is erroneous.

No-one claims that all life in the universe must develop in the same way as it has on earth. Alternate chemistries based on other elements than carbon have been looked into.

Observation of distant objects has confirmed that physics, and therefore chemistry, works the same there as here.

There are far more than 1000 planets in the universe.

Your ignorance is leading you astray. You might like to look up the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Not at all I know there is more than 1000 planets don't feel like looking up the actual number because its not actual its just currently known and maybe today another planets been added.

Here's another the speed of light is fixed. Our speed of light is based on measurements taken in our gallaxy. Our gallaxy has a gravitation force what if other gallaxy's have stronger or weaker forces would the speed of light change. Our vaccum of space has a lot of hydrogen atoms. What if another gallaxy has less or other materials in it would the speed of light be the same. We know gravity bends light, we also know the speed of light changes through substances such as water and glass.

All science is made up of observed beliefs. Same as religion only they try to make it more intellectual.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Feel I missed one reply.

Evolution is still based on observations of one way life developed. There is no comparison as of yet. When we get one then maybe evolution can become law.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I just ran across this thread and there is a lot I want to say, but I have to go to work now. :( I'll be back later today to see what others have said and add some of my own points. TTYL :)

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Science does not come from belief. Science comes from deduction.

If I asked you to divide an apple zero times you know you would have an apple.
But that's not the question. What do you get if you divide an apple into zero pieces?

Looncall

Feel I missed one reply.

Evolution is still based on observations of one way life developed. There is no comparison as of yet. When we get one then maybe evolution can become law.

Evolution is an algorithm.

If there is reproduction with variation and the variations are acted upon by selection, there will be change over time. That's what evolution is.

I do not see what could prevent this from taking place in any circumstance in which it occurs.

Looncall

Not at all I know there is more than 1000 planets don't feel like looking up the actual number because its not actual its just currently known and maybe today another planets been added.

Here's another the speed of light is fixed. Our speed of light is based on measurements taken in our gallaxy. Our gallaxy has a gravitation force what if other gallaxy's have stronger or weaker forces would the speed of light change. Our vaccum of space has a lot of hydrogen atoms. What if another gallaxy has less or other materials in it would the speed of light be the same. We know gravity bends light, we also know the speed of light changes through substances such as water and glass.

All science is made up of observed beliefs. Same as religion only they try to make it more intellectual.

You are displaying your ignorance again. Study some physics, then get back to us.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
The speed of light in a vacuum is constant throughout all space and time. It depends only the relative powers of the electric and magnetic forces, which leaves you with a problem: if the strength of the electric force varied, you wouldn't get a galaxy.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
The speed of light in a vacuum is constant throughout all space and time. It depends only the relative powers of the electric and magnetic forces, which leaves you with a problem: if the strength of the electric force varied, you wouldn't get a galaxy.

And this is know based on observations and measurements in how many galaxy's. Do we even have complete measurements of our own.

Where was this vacuum created that we used to measure the speed of light that was not effected by the gravity of this galaxy or influenced by the atoms that exist in space.

If light is effected by substance and gravity. Our measurements could all be effected by the substance and gravity that surrounds us. As far as I know we can not make a perfect vaccuum not effected by gravity to test your belief on lights speed.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Feel I missed one reply.

Biological evolution will not become a "Law".

Laws are statements of fact meant to describe, in concise terms, an action or set of actions. Scientific Laws are simple and absolute.

The Theory of Evolution is much to complex and dynamic to be described as a simple Law.

It should be noted, however, that Scientific Laws and Scientific Theories are both generally accepted as Scientific Facts based on verification through observation, experimentation, predictability and falsifiability.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Biological evolution will not become a "Law".

Laws are statements of fact meant to describe, in concise terms, an action or set of actions. Scientific Laws are simple and absolute.

The Theory of Evolution is much to complex and dynamic to be described as a simple Law.

It should be noted, however, that Scientific Laws and Scientific Theories are both generally accepted as Scientific Facts based on verification through observation, experimentation, predictability and falsifiability.

So your saying that if we found 10 planets with life some that started out differently than us but all of them developed in the evolutionary pattern of life we see on earth. Scientists would not make evolution a law.

I know it is highly improvable but if multiple planets all developed the same way its never going to be a law. That is interesting.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
And this is know based on observations and measurements in how many galaxy's. Do we even have complete measurements of our own.
Lightspeed depends only on the structure of space itself. It'd be rather noticeable if space itself changed between galaxies.

And the actual value for the speed of light is pretty much irrelevant from a theoretical physics point of view. Though at the moment, it's defined as 299,792,458m/s.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
So your saying that if we found 10 planets with life some that started out differently than us but all of them developed in the evolutionary pattern of life we see on earth. Scientists would not make evolution a law.

I know it is highly improvable but if multiple planets all developed the same way its never going to be a law. That is interesting.
No.
I don't think you understand the difference between a Scientific Law and a Scientific Theory.
Scientific Law: This is a statement of fact meant to describe, in concise terms, an action or set of actions. It is generally accepted to be true and universal, and can sometimes be expressed in terms of a single mathematical equation. Scientific laws are similar to mathematical postulates. They don’t really need any complex external proofs; they are accepted at face value based upon the fact that they have always been observed to be true.
Specifically, scientific laws must be simple, true, universal, and absolute. They represent the cornerstone of scientific discovery, because if a law ever did not apply, then all science based upon that law would collapse.
Some scientific laws, or laws of nature, include the law of gravity, Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, Boyle's law of gases, the law of conservation of mass and energy, and Hook’s law of elasticity.

Theory: A theory is what one or more hypotheses become once they have been verified and accepted to be true. A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. Unfortunately, even some scientists often use the term "theory" in a more colloquial sense, when they really mean to say "hypothesis." That makes its true meaning in science even more confusing to the general public.
In general, both a scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the scientific community as a whole. Both are used to make predictions of events. Both are used to advance technology.
In fact, some laws, such as the law of gravity, can also be theories when taken more generally. The law of gravity is expressed as a single mathematical expression and is presumed to be true all over the universe and all through time. Without such an assumption, we can do no science based on gravity's effects. But from the law, we derived the theory of gravity which describes how gravity works, what causes it, and how it behaves. We also use that to develop another theory, Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, in which gravity plays a crucial role. The basic law is intact, but the theory expands it to include various and complex situations involving space and time.
The biggest difference between a law and a theory is that a theory is much more complex and dynamic. A law describes a single action, whereas a theory explains an entire group of related phenomena. And, whereas a law is a postulate that forms the foundation of the scientific method, a theory is the end result of that same process.

Scientific Laws, Hypotheses, and Theories - The Scientific Method

Now perhaps if it were found that Biological Evolution followed the same general path in thousands of varying planetary situations, a Law of Evolutionary Development could be postulated in simple concise terms. However, the Theory of Evolution would remain.

But judging by the extreme diversity of life here on Earth, such planetary biological conformity is highly unlikely.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Lightspeed depends only on the structure of space itself. It'd be rather noticeable if space itself changed between galaxies.

And the actual value for the speed of light is pretty much irrelevant from a theoretical physics point of view. Though at the moment, it's defined as 299,792,458m/s.

How is it noticeable, what technology are we using that can determine how other galaxy's work. Maybe we can say all spiral galaxy's our like ours. But eliptical and irregular galaxy's how do we really know. Aren't we are using the constants we built by observing and testing our galaxy to guess how other galaxy's work. How well do we understand our own galaxy?

Currently scientists are starting to believe there is a black hole in every galaxy. Black holes bend light. Wouldn't black hole vary in strenght galaxy to galaxy how can we be sure the distances we measure in light are true at all.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Currently scientists are starting to believe there is a black hole in every galaxy. Black holes bend light. Wouldn't black hole vary in strenght galaxy to galaxy how can we be sure the distances we measure in light are true at all.
I believe it has already been stated that the speed of light is constant in a vacuum, that would include a lack of gravitational force. Cosmologists can and have observed the effects of extreme gravity on light. That is how they have found the many black holes you speak of.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I believe it has already been stated that the speed of light is constant in a vacuum, that would include a lack of gravitational force. Cosmologists can and have observed the effects of extreme gravity on light. That is how they have found the many black holes you speak of.

Where is this vacuum you talk about?

By extreme gravity you mean the bending of light. But what about gravity slowing down light. The center of our galaxy uses gravity to pull all the solar systems together. The sun uses gravity to pull all the planets together if Gravity can bend light it is easily concluded that over great expansions gravity can slow light itself.

As space as we know it is not a vacuum. Its the closest thing to a vacuum we know but it is not a vacuum.