• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science words vs. common words

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Found this picture and thought it would be useful to clear up some words that scientists use, that have different definitions than in common everyday speaking.

The difference between how scientists speak to one another in publications and labs and how people on the street talk to one another can be subtly different and these differences can cause confusion. So, when you are trying to get a scientific concept across, try to keep this in mind.

tumblr_ltbwmhFpF61qi2yq2o1_500.jpg

(I also posted this in the sticky/FAQ at the top of the EvC thread list)

So what do you think? Is this going to be helpful... or just a hassle?

wa:do

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Never really occurs to me that everyone doesn't know you what you mean when using word like that. Guess spent too much time around engineers and scientists :p

Panda

42?
Premium Member
one upmanship with words is the college educated way of running the world.

It isn't "one upmanship" it is word with a specific scientific meaning being used to explain clearly and without ambiguity what they mean.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've seen a dozen pages or more of posters talking past each other due to confusion over colloquial vs technical definitions.
In serious or technical discussions it's usually best to stick to the technical definitions. They're much more specific, generally, and they'll be the definitions used in any links presented.

A couple more:
In medicine an insult is entirely non-verbal, nor will there be any sound when a disease or syndrome declares itself. Superior does not mean better, nor inferior, worse.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Often when this difference in meaning is pointed out to people they assume that the scientists have changed the meaning of these words. But in most cases it is just the opposite. It is the scientists who have maintained the original meanings. It is the common public meaning of these words that has changed over time.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Who's engaging in one upmanship?
Differing definitions is a common source of misunderstanding in the English language.

Unless you think that Americans are trying to one up the Brittish by having a different definition of "chips" and "fannies"? :shrug:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't see the list as particularly useful. Those who use words properly will always be misconstrued by those who do not. And those who do not will always perplex those who do.

(A grand generalization for sure, but it reads better this way :D)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I don't see the list as particularly useful. Those who use words properly will always be misconstrued by those who do not. And those who do not will always perplex those who do.

(A grand generalization for sure, but it reads better this way :D)
Really? I picked up a couple of good tips.
If they want to misconstrue then use the "better choices" and don't give them the opportunity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Who's engaging in one upmanship?
Differing definitions is a common source of misunderstanding in the English language.
Having known our good Awoon for some time, I'll venture an explanation of his meaning with an example:
Government wants to say that they're printing more money.
It would sound bad to say it in this easy-to-understand way, since it suggests Weimar Republic inflation.
So government keeps the masses in the dark by giving it the fancy pseudo-technical name of "quantitative easing".
The eyes of the average schlub on the street just glaze over when handed such jargon, so understanding, & consequently dissent are avoided.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Having known our good Awoon for some time, I'll venture an explanation of his meaning with an example:
Government wants to say that they're printing more money.
It would sound bad to say it in this easy-to-understand way, since it suggests Weimar Republic inflation.
So government keeps the masses in the dark by giving it the fancy pseudo-technical name of "quantitative easing".
The eyes of the average schlub on the street just glaze over when handed such jargon, so understanding, & consequently dissent are avoided.
So, you think the problem is confusing the invention of purposefully misleading pseudo-intellectual terms with scientific terms?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, you think the problem is confusing the invention of purposefully misleading pseudo-intellectual terms with scientific terms?
I'd say that he means using fancy language to maintain superiority & control.
To make something sound all sciencey would fit right in.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'd say that he means using fancy language to maintain superiority & control.
To make something sound all sciencey would fit right in.
Except that isn't the purpose of scientific language... it's to avoid confusion not sow it. (at least that is the intent)