• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

science vs religion?

syo

science vs religion? no way. even science believes that Something must have started the big bang. the big bang sprang out of nothing? no.

syo

Since we don't know what that Something is, I am going to personally believe it is a one-eyed slimy creature called Orzoth.
who said we don't know? it speaks for itself, that it must be something beyond time and space and it's eternal.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The science vs religion is perhaps better put as religion vs science, in that other than a few issues, science doesn't care what religion consists of or does. Religion (Christians in particular) on the other hand, often regards science as an enemy; poking holes in its theology and leading people away from it. Just think of all the effort creationists put into their attempt to denigrate and disprove evolution. If you're not aware of these efforts let me know and I'll steer you to a few.

As for the BB, science admits it had a beginning but doesn't know how it came about.

Last edited:

syo

Religion (Christians), on the other hand, often regards science as an enemy; poking holes in its theology and leading people away from it.
exactly. priests want to control their flock i guess and they blame science.

syo

There's certainly lots of religious theories, but not any true knowledge of what that Something is or if it even exists.
yes, there are many theories of religions. and most religions take things too far. but there was a starting eternal force.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
science vs religion? no way. even science believes that Something must have started the big bang. the big bang sprang out of nothing? no.
I am pro-science and pro-religion. Science deals only with that which is in the range of the physical senses and instruments. Religion deals with the all. My favorite spiritual teacher says science is like the letter C and religion the letter O.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
that Something is beyond space and time, it's the eternal, it's god himself.

Oh . . . I was super confused until this moment, when you cleared it all up.

Rational arguments are so passé anyway. A simple concise unsubstatiated claim goes further with me, so thanks for changing my mind!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
that Something is beyond space and time, it's the eternal, it's god himself.

who said we don't know? it speaks for itself, that it must be something beyond time and space and it's eternal.

I have to scratch my head with these. Something cannot pop out of thin air. Why would it happen then but the process of "something from nothing" does not happen in everyday life? Everything on earth is "created" by a combination of already existing things. If something came from nothing, where is the pattern?

Space is the absence of something. Without planets and stars etc there would be literally nothing. Space cannot be eternal; it's not even an it. Stars aren't eternal. Planets are not eternal.

Another thing is the Earth is not the center of space. If "god" existed for people on earth, then god is pretty limited in the minds of people who live on earth. Can you think outside your own understanding of what it means for there to be an absence of something?

Space cannot create planets.

How do you define space as eternal?

By what criteria is space eternal outside it just being the absence of something?

In other words, can "nothing" be eternal?

Why god?

Jeremiah Ames

The science vs religion is perhaps better put as religion vs science, in that other than a few issues, science doesn't care what religion consists of or does. Religion (Christians), on the other hand, often regards science as an enemy; poking holes in its theology and leading people away from it. Just think of all the effort creationists put into their attempt to denigrate and disprove evolution. If you're not aware of these efforts let me know and I'll steer you to a few.

As for the BB, science admits it had a beginning but doesn't know how it came about.

Religion does not promote thinking.
People who actually want to think for themselves may find problems with the religion. And that’s a no no.
I submit the “dark ages” as exhibit 1.
True Christians should not fear science.
Science is a wonderful thing, in my mind.
The more knowledge we have the better.

syo

Oh . . . I was super confused until this moment, when you cleared it all up.

Rational arguments are so passé anyway. A simple concise unsubstatiated claim goes further with me, so thanks for changing my mind!
are you one of those guys who think they know everything?

Jeremiah Ames

I have to scratch my head with these. Something cannot pop out of thin air. Why would it happen then but the process of "something from nothing" does not happen in everyday life? Where is the pattern?

Space is the absence of something. Without planets and stars etc there would be literally nothing. Space cannot be eternal; it's not even an it. Stars aren't eternal. Planets are not eternal.

Another thing is the Earth is not the center of space. If "god" existed for people on earth, then god is pretty limited in the minds of people who live on earth. Can you think outside your own understanding of what it means for there to be an absence of something?

Space cannot create planets.

How do you define space as eternal?

By what criteria is space eternal outside it just being the absence of something?

In other words, can "nothing" be eternal?

Why god?

I read something a while back, I think by Stephen Hawking,
where he said that empty space actually has a lot of “something “ in it.