• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science vs Religion

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd be interested to see any proof that wasn't purely mathematical. Neither religion nor science are in the business of providing proofs.

Ahmadi

Deut. 32.8 said:
Perhaps you could share with us an example of something being proved by religion. I'd be interested in its protocols.
Seyorni said:
I'd be interested to see any proof that wasn't purely mathematical. Neither religion nor science are in the business of providing proofs.
Like I said before, there are many things that religion's can and do prove or at least science proves something in favour of the religion (as many have already made the argument about the 'missing day' in the Bible, which I fully support)

Let's take Islam and let's take its holy book, the Quran. It has many verses which contain information regarding cosmology and these verses in the Quran have been proved true by modern day science.

Since it would take a really long message to give all the examples here, why don’t you check out the following website:

http://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/part_4_section_5.html
OR, go to http://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/index.html and click on the chapter on "The Quran and Cosmology"

meogi

Ahmadi said:
It has many verses which contain information regarding cosmology and these verses in the Quran have been proved true by modern day science.
You may want to re-read Seyorni's post. ;)

(Although, Seyorni, there are proofs in logic as well. And alcohol.) - Trademark, Deut 32.8

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
True meogi. I was trying to save time by considering logic boolean algebra :D .

<Now, if you'll excuse me, it's off to the darkroom to inspect some proofs....>

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
lstamson said:
I agree w/ Scitsofreaky, that Science and Religion do not need to oppose each other.
Well, Istamson,

You sure jumped in at the deep end on this thread! (one in which there are different views, as always - but we do try to keep it as amiable as we can):D

Welcome to the forum!

You might like to have a look at :- Articles for New Members ; from there, there is a link to the forum rules, which you ought to see.

You might also like to introduce yourself to the other members by posting on:-
Are you new to ReligiousForums.com?

O.S I happen to agree with you about Science and Religion (as an aside).:)

scitsofreaky

Ahmadi said:
The world simply needs one relgion and which religion is more universal that(sic) [insert religion here]
Why do people make this pointless statement? If the world had one religion, any religion, than it would be universal. Gah!

scitsofreaky

Ahmadi said:
That's exactly what I'm saying. That one religion, any religion, is Islam.
No, that isn't what I said. If everyone believed, say, buddhism, than buddhism would be the universal religion. The majority of religions could be universal, and everything would be just wonderful if everyone whole-heartedly believed one religion. To say that one religion, in this case Islam, is more universal than another is rediculous.

dorsk188

One-Eyed in Blindsville
Essentially: Very few people who put all their stock in science do so out of malice toward religion. They merely see religion as inept at explaining reality. Scientists don't sit around trying to tick off the bible thumpers, they want to know how things work. On the other hand, religious people often have a very dismissive, often belligerent view of science. I think Science would be glad to be left alone, but religion has made all these claims in the past, and now pridefully stick to them rather than explore the roots of myths and legend.

Because science is a relatively new idea, religions (the false ones :rolleyes:) have been unaccountable for the excrement they spout that go against all of known nature. The sun stayed in the sky because back then, no one asked how it was possible.

Science and Religion are in conflict because Religion has never had to explain itself before, because there was no real alternative. Science is now an alternative view of the world, not because it seeks to be one, but because the earnest search for demonstratable truths has overshadowed the magic of the past.

In the beginning:
Religion: "Believe me."
Science: "But the world is round."
Religion: "**** you."

The solution: Science will work toward discovering the truth of reality. Religion will shut up about Noah's Ark.

That won't happen, so: Conflict.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. NIV

Somehow Dorsk, I don't see science at odds with this. I don't see this at odds with science.

Ahmadi

scitsofreaky said:
No, that isn't what I said. If everyone believed, say, buddhism, than buddhism would be the universal religion. The majority of religions could be universal, and everything would be just wonderful if everyone whole-heartedly believed one religion. To say that one religion, in this case Islam, is more universal than another is rediculous.
You should stop calling my statement ridiculous! I meant that Islam is universal because it believes in the truthfulness of every prophet that ever came to this planet. If a buddhist wishes to join Islam, he can easily do so because Islam accepts Buddha as a prophet. If a Hindu wants to join Islam, he can also do so easily because Krishna is recognized as a prophet by Islam. If a Muslim wants to join another religion, it's not so easy because he would have to denounce his prophet. Get it?

dorsk188

One-Eyed in Blindsville
NetDoc said:
James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. NIV

Somehow Dorsk, I don't see science at odds with this. I don't see this at odds with science.
Scientists, in the persuit of science, really don't concern themselves with those things. Rest assured, science classes will never have a lesson that contradicts the morality of any religion. In that sense, science and religion are separate and do not come into conflict. Morality is not where the two systems clash, but history.

Off-topic, I would say that the most universal religion isn't really Islam, because though it reveres the Abrahamic religions, it ignores Eastern religions as well as most pagan traditions. The truly universal religion is Hinduism, imho. Krishna told Arjuna in the Bhagavad Gita the four forms of worshipping him (and thus Brahma). The last form, Bhakti Yoga, is basically having a personal relationship with Krishna. Taken one step further, it is taught that the worship of any god (Siva, Vishnu, Krishna, Genesh, Jesus, Yahweh, Allah, Zeus, Thor, or any other) is really just a way to practice Bhakti yoga and get closer to Brahma, who is essentially the universe itself.

So, as you can see, all religions can, in a sense, practice Hinduism. The only nonadherents are people who believe in no god, such as some Buddhists, Taoists, Atheists, and Agnostics. What makes me laugh is that, according to some Hindus, there is a universal religion already, people just don't know it.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that reference to Krishna in your post. Though, apparently, Islam does acknowledge Krishna as a teacher, it still does not dignify the pagan gods as being essentially, all the same God, so I think my point stands.

Ahmadi

dorsk188 said:
Morality is not where the two systems clash, but history.
Please explain how.

dorsk188 said:
Though, apparently, Islam does acknowledge Krishna as a teacher, it still does not dignify the pagan gods as being essentially, all the same God, so I think my point stands.
Krishna is not simply a teacher, but a prophet. "all the same God" - that actually proves my point that Hinduism believes in one God just like Islam.