1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Science, religion and the truth

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by mikkel_the_dane, Mar 17, 2020.

1. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,166
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    So what validates a theory? Or falsifies it?

In other words, what test shows a theory is busted?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Native

Native Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist

Ratings:
    +544
    Religion:
    Natural Perceptions
    Try to convince a magnetic field of this disconnected statement.

3. mikkel_the_dane

mikkel_the_dane Shadow Wolf's Aspie sibling

Ratings:
    +2,631
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    That depends on your idea of how to test.

Some tests are in effect how to understand different kinds of subjectivism. In effect the world is apparently a combination of subjective and objective.
    We always end in limited cognitive relativism for which science is one form, but there are others.

Regards
    Mikkel

• Like Like x 1
  4. Native

Ratings:
    +544
    Religion:
    Natural Perceptions
    We were speaking of "Big Bang", right? How can you make repeatable experiments with this theory? And if you can´t, you cant falsify it neither. It will foreven remain a sort of "scientific" THEORY and nothing else.

You COULD try to falsify it by pondering seriously over the standard cosmic distance measuring method and it´s "candle light constants" in certain stars. A method which lead to the very idea of an expanding Universe and Big Bang theory. And to "dark energy" when this method "showed" an increasing velocity of the assumed expansion.

To me "Big Bang" is a result of a false cosmic perception of light itself.

5. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +2,631
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    To me it means that human understanding is limited and the belief in reason and logic has limits. Some, notice some, scientists in the end want the universe to be reasonable and logical, as it must fit into the brains of these scientists, as how they want to make sense of the universe. But is not certain, that the universe is reasonable and logical, just because these scientists believe, it is.
    I am a skeptic. ;)

Regards
    Mikkel

• Like Like x 1
  6. Native

Ratings:
    +544
    Religion:
    Natural Perceptions
    Well, the elephant would still be an elephant whether you´re able or not to express this vocally. And who knows? Just because you have lost your wording, you possibly still could SEE the elephant. That is: "Meaning" and perception can be in "the eyes of the beholder" so to speak.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Native

Ratings:
    +544
    Religion:
    Natural Perceptions
    Agreed. And some scientists even invent all kinds of unseen matters and forces if their former cosmological theory is contradicted. All in order to conserve their initial original thoughts and dogmas which is proven insufficient.

If the Universe doesn´t fit the theories, we just invent matters and calculations which fits our initial idea.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +27,493
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    No problem. The magnetic field is a vector field which produces a vector force on a moving charge that is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of movement.

9. Native

Ratings:
    +544
    Religion:
    Natural Perceptions
    You don´t have to explain the obvious to me. The question was about positive and negative forces and energies. And about if these could be illustrated by male (expansive) and female (attractive) qualities - which possibly is far beyond your imagination.

10. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Silent Generation - so don't expect much
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,118
    Religion:
    Fellowship of the Mutable (agnostic atheist)
    Believe what you will, and you can interpret early writings how you want, but unless you believe in some kind of divine inspiration then all they could see without the advantages of telescopes is points of light. It wasn't 'ancient knowledge' it was supposition, and I'm sure we could all do this day in and day out. The fact that many versions of such seem to coincide might just be the evolution of such ideas - that the more plausible (to them) seem to survive over the less plausible ones.

Let's face it, before we had such advanced technology we didn't even realise that planets were so common (this is only decades old), such that surely if the ancients had known this then they might have put a different spin on things - like our planet perhaps not being that unique, or us.

11. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +27,493
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Again, forces are *vectors*. They have a direction and a magnitude. They are NOT positive or negative. A negative sign on a force just means a positive force pointing the opposite direction.

Now, that is different than attractive and repulsive. Technically, magnetism isn't either since it is dependent on velocity, not position.

12. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +2,631
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    Unique is a feeling apparently only relevant to how you feel.
    I am not unique, yet I am, because I try to be the best and most unique version of me as me. Positive self-imagine doesn't have to involve being better or more unique than others. You can do it by being your own best and most unique.

Regards
    Mikkel

13. Mock Turtle

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,118
    Religion:
    Not a lot to do with stars and their planets though is it, which, knowledge of, might have produced a different outcome than what we have. That is, perhaps humans aren't the centre of the universe or the object of some divine individual's concerns.

14. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +2,631
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    But you are the center of your understanding of the world. There is you and the rest of the world. That is your center of meaning. It is in you and nowhere else. Now in practice it help to include the rest of world, but it is always you and the rest of world.
    What matters to you is always what matters to you. :)

Regards and love
    Mikkel

• Like Like x 1
  15. Native

Ratings:
    +544
    Religion:
    Natural Perceptions
    If you take "intuitive inspirations" to be "divine" in character, I´ll happily go along with that definition.

So, the several thousand of years old "many versions" of much similar cultural stories of creation from all over the world on different continents, should be pure incidents? Whats the odds of that? And HOW should this have happen long long before the invention of modern transport?

Read my profile signature :)

#215 Native, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  16. Mock Turtle

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,118
    Religion:
    What matters to me is irrelevant in the larger scheme of things. All I'm saying is that religious beliefs seem to have come from lack of true knowledge and no doubt would have been different if such knowledge was different. But of course this is unlikely, since technology hardly predates our apparent need to know, such that best guesses seem to take over.

17. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +2,631
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    It is only irrelevant because it is irrelevant to you. There is no objective relevance nor irrelevance with reason, logic, proof, truth, evidence and what not. The universe as such is neither relevant not irrelevant and there is no larger scheme of things. That is an idea in you. "Scheme of things" is a human cognitive construct.

Your world view is your view, that is the only larger scheme of things, there is. There is no scheme out there. It is in you. :)

Regards
    Mikkel

18. Mock Turtle

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,118
    Religion:
    You must know that it is a fallacy to accept numbers of people believing whatever as being any sort of evidence. As I said, the most plausible story often wins over others and unfortunately all these creation stories didn't lead to some obvious religious beliefs otherwise we wouldn't have the spectrum of religious/spiritual beliefs that we actually have.

19. mikkel_the_dane

Ratings:
    +2,631
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    Well, the singularity as part of the Big Bang is in effect a myth. It can't be observed and thus not tested as for verification or falsification. It functions in the same ways as other myths. It fills out the gaps of human understanding.

Regards
    Mikkel

20. Mock Turtle

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,118
    Religion:
    If I was absent from the world tomorrow the world and existence would continue without batting an eyelid, and that goes for most of us. That is my meaning.