• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science ... NOT God ...

Near dont mean much because of course wed not know about there experiences unless they returned to there body.

Also, its just a term. Some people have no brain activity in there experiences.

Also, another reason near dont mean much is due to "veridical NDEs".

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Yes, the brain fires off, but just because it does this does not mean theres no soul that is independent of the brain.

Logically correct. But it is a much more plausible explanation that the cause of NDEs is connected to a phenomenon we CAN observe as opposed to a phenomenon we CAN'T observe; adn that phenomenon involving something else we can't observe. Provide evidence of a soul, and then we can go from there.

Actually, the soul being independent of the brain far outweighs the idea that the soul and brain are one in the same. Why? Because of a simple thing called "veridical NDEs". And if it wer not for these, your statement would have weight. But due to these veridical NDEs, your statement is debunked.

Ah, yes! The mysteries of the human brain! Cool stuff!

I accept "verdical NDEs" as a "probably true" phenomenon in the aspect that sometimes, people perceive things that defy current scientific explanation. I have experienced such phenomenon first hand. So yeah; there is something to that; something science does not yet understand (and perhaps never will ... if you like, start a thread on the topic, point me to it, and I'll go further into this, as well as my hypothesis/guess. I'll encapsulate by stating that I do think sometimes these cases of ESP, etc. have a basis in truth; but that this does not rule out naturalistic explanations, even if we don't yet know what those naturalistic explanations are).

In the cases of verdigal NDE, there seems to be more to it than just simple hallucinations; but that doesn't mean that the vanilla "Hey, I was drawn towards the light" NDEs remain hallucinations (which is the most probable explanation).

But without reproduceability, evidence of soul, or evidence of any other natural or supernatural phenomenon which can conclusively show that verdical NDEs are explained by the soul leaving the body, then we are stuck with the uncomfortable conclusion that: "We don't know how sometimes people seem to perceive things that defy scientific explanation". Not, "Hey, we don't know why, so it must be the soul!"

gnostic

The Lost One
Yes, the brain fires off, but just because it does this does not mean theres no soul that is independent of the brain.
That's just faith and speculation talking.

I could turn what you say around, and say that "...just because you say there is a soul or believe there is a soul, doesn't there is a soul".

I used to believe in the soul, the New Testament and Christian teaching of the afterlife, but in the last almost 20 years now, I questioned its very existence.

And with each year passing by, I am more convince as ever about the soul.

To me, the soul is just a metaphoric for the self, for our character, emotion and behavior, and for our thoughts and memory.

Last edited: