1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Science ... NOT God ...

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by NewGuyOnTheBlock, Jul 31, 2019.

1. NewGuyOnTheBlock

NewGuyOnTheBlock Cult Survivor

Ratings:
    +901
    Religion:
    atheist
    Why do most atheists respect science over religion?
    Here's why:

I love this video.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Darkforbid

Darkforbid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +494
    Religion:
    Theist
    They don't! Most atheists use science as an excuse/argument against religion

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. ratiocinator

ratiocinator Strange Loop

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Religion:
    none
    How do you know? Does anybody have any actual statistics? I'm guessing that a lot of atheists don't respect religion, so it might be a reasonable guess that most respect science over religion.

Nobody needs an excuse to not accept religions.

I don't really see how science can be used as an argument against religion in general. Of course it's an argument against the science denying cults like creationism but more generally science isn't all that relevant - the total lack of any reason to take any of the religions seriously is good enough grounds to not accept them.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Augustus

Augustus the Unreasonable

Ratings:
    +8,494
    Religion:
    none
    Because they haven't realised that religion and science aren't analogues?

Or perhaps they just like comparing things from different categories like flamingoes versus spatulas, Uganda versus lambswool, etc.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,729
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Quibble: Tycho Brahe did NOT do parallax of other stars! He did for a comet (which orbits the sun). It wasn't until the 1830's that we first managed to get a parallax of another star.

6. NewGuyOnTheBlock

Ratings:
    +901
    Religion:
    atheist
    I don't think you guys even watched the video.

7. Jollybear

Jollybear Hey

Ratings:
    +553
    Religion:
    Christian/mystic
    That video is misrepresented propaganda.

But, youl keep believing it, no doubt.

8. NewGuyOnTheBlock

Ratings:
    +901
    Religion:
    atheist
    Thanks for the correction!

9. NewGuyOnTheBlock

Ratings:
    +901
    Religion:
    atheist
    I certainly hold to the point of the presentation: That science brought us much more than religion ever has ... or will.

As far as the details, I'm interested in factual errors you may have caught.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +11,729
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    How do you see it as misrepresenting the case?

11. Darkforbid

Darkforbid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +494
    Religion:
    Theist
    Civilization

12. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,876
    Religion:
    None
    I do wish people would stop claiming to speak on behalf of other "atheists". It makes it some much more difficult to discuss my own beliefs and opinions when people have been given such definitive (and often wrong) preconceptions of who I am.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Compassion, understanding, and tolerance.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,247
    Religion:
    Often the quickest path from ignorance to arrogance and/or condescension
    I quite like the video. One thing about religions, apparently, they didn't see the birth of science to question all that so many claim as 'truths'. Now why is that? And for me, science neither tries to prove or disprove any religious belief. The fact that many religious beliefs are in opposition to much scientific evidence however tells us much more. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Jollybear

Jollybear Hey

Ratings:
    +553
    Religion:
    Christian/mystic
    Prophets reveal the will of the gods. There wer false prophets as well as true.

Stars falling is nothing more then alligorical language for meator and commets.

Also the bible does not say the universe is not big. It also does not say earth is its center.

As for science progressing, as in technology, that was good. That in no way says religion is false. God does not need to reveal everything at once. In fact, in the bible hes clear that this is not how he does things.

Astrology replacing astronomy. Again, misrepresented. There wer false prophets as well as true. Astrology and astronomy wer one in the same.

Medicine replacing miracle healing. This also does not do away with the fact that some people get healing. Yes, again, theres false healing out there.

Electricity replacing alchemy. Again, alchemy was a forerunner to chemistry. God lets people figure things out by progression. He SOMETIMES reveals things and sometimes he dont. And sometimes people lie in his name.

Discovered the secrets of the universe. They say it like its all figured out and with no controversy in between. THATS misleading.

DeCODED the fabric of life. A CODE implies in its very self, a coder, an intelligence behind it. But, hey, atleast the video admits our DNA is a code! Lol

All the suffering that heaven sees with folded arms and yet looks back. Again, a foolish statement. If God did everything for us, hed cripple us. Learn LIBERTY.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. TagliatelliMonster

TagliatelliMonster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,255
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Yeah, science is great bs-exposer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Augustus

Augustus the Unreasonable

Ratings:
    +8,494
    Religion:
    none
    Seen it before. Can't say it compelled me to watch again

If you would like a more scholarly discussion on religion and the emergence of modern science, there's a series of lectures here:

Science, Religion and Modernity

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Compassion, understanding, and tolerance.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,247
    Religion:
    Often the quickest path from ignorance to arrogance and/or condescension
    Really? And we are wise enough to tell the difference? Dream on!

I'm sure that is a great comfort to all those who died from infections and abominable medical practices we endured for centuries while God decided the appropriate moment to enlighten us!

Hardly. There is no comparison between the two. One based in reality, the other in supposition.

See above, and faith-healing has no evidence for being factual apart from any placebo effect that might occur.

Great. As above. How can we tell the difference?

Science is like that. It is not always a smooth progress towards the truth, but nothing else has come forward to overturn science. Some religions might not seemingly even recognise the existence of DNA - that which tends to disprove their claims.

And we are truly grateful. Amen.

Science is the teacher. :D

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +11,729
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Except when these texts were written, the difference was not known. They really did believe the stars would fall.

And yet that was how it was understood until the *science* said otherwise. Interesting, eh?

God didn't seem to reveal *anything* of value in understanding the universe until *science* came along and started testing ideas.

Um, no. Astrology was a mystical attempt to look at the magical influences of the stars and planets on humans as a means to predict the future or to time important life events. Astronomy is the scientific investigation of the cosmos. Rather different in both goals and techniques.

It is the *way* we learn about how to heal that is relevant here. Do we test our ideas, exploring different possibilities while learning how the body and diseases work, or do we rely on revelation and pray for miracles?

Funny how God never revealed anything of value until *scientists* started asking questions and testing their ideas.

There is always controversy around the edges. But we have answered questions that were unanswered for thousands of years under religion.

Your assumptions about DNA are not shared by those who actually study it.

Except that he *doesn't* heal the child with cancer, or feed those who are hungry because of crop failures, or help the needy, or even make conditions where their lives are easier. Sorry, but the 'moral' standing of God is terrible here.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. ratiocinator

ratiocinator Strange Loop

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Religion:
    none
    This is just silly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,047
    Religion:
    None
    Bulloop, some atheist respect science for explaining the real world while religion disrespect science because it interferes with their thousands of years old fairy stories.

• Like Like x 1