• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science IS religion

Truly Enlightened

I think you are spending too much of your time, analyzing the meaning of words
Pseudo science can no more test soul to soul communication than they can test for God. Get serious.

Actually, using "pseudoscience" you can test for anything you want to test. Since it is not true science, you can test for miracles, make-believe, spirits, how souls communicate with each other, the existence of God(s), the life expectancy of a green dragon, or if pixies are male or female. Using pseudoscience, you can also provide yourself with whatever answer you need, to fit whatever narrative you create. Fortunately, real science doesn't have this range of intellectual flexibility or integrity. Pseudoscience is truly the religious science for the ignorant. It provides answers, but no facts.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Unlike religion. You are committing the same fallacy(undistributed middle), by claiming that what is observe as being fact. Do you really expect to explain all of the world by observing humans? Do you really think that what we observe through science or religion, becomes a fact because it is observed? I'm sure, even you, can see the obvious flaws in that line of reasoning.
...​

So it is not a fact, that you wrote this?
I think it is a fact, that religion is a human behavior just like science is a human behavior.
Now can we agree that both religion and science is a human behavior?
And that human behaviors including yours and mine are parts of the world, but not all of the world?
If it is not a fact, that we are debating, then what is it?

Bear Wild

God can send bread from heaven as displayed for Moses. He can do anything. He could have had a baker leave it out for the crows. Who knows. The important thing is that you have no basis for your doubts.
Still preaching I see.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Please, you made an error. You thought that falsifiability had more to do with skepticism than science. You could not have been more wrong. If you cannot own up to this error it only looks as if you are trolling. Let me go back and pull the quote out of your prior post:

"As for falsifiable and falsification that has nothing to do with science in general. That is skepticism and in practice it is simple."

That is an amazingly wrong and ignorant statement. Here is a very simple flow chart of the scientific hypothesis:

2013-updated_scientific-method-steps_v6_noheader.png

Do you see the third step? As to what a hypothesis is:

"Scientific hypothesis, an idea that proposes a tentative explanation about a phenomenon or a narrow set of phenomena observed in the natural world. The two primary features of a scientific hypothesisare falsifiability and testability, which are reflected in an “If…then” statement summarizing the idea and in the ability to be supported or refuted through observation and experimentation. The notion of the scientific hypothesis as both falsifiable and testable was advanced in the mid-20th century by Austrian-born British philosopher Karl Popper."

scientific hypothesis | Definition, Formulation, & Example

If I am religious, then does that result in further behavior in me?

Ask a question:
Can religion as a belief in a human result in further behavior in a human?

Background: religion | Definition & List of Religions

Am I religious? Well, I believe in a creator God, which is fair.
Does that lead me to post e.g. on this forum regarding religion and science?
Is this falsifiable and testable? Yes.

Is religion a human behavior? Yes.

So what is that I doubt? I doubt that religion as a behavior can be wrong. I.e. religion is a fact, as something some humans do. So when somebody says that religion is based on wrong beliefs, I start by pointing out we have to check what a wrong belief is, if it can lead to observable behavior in humans.
I doubt what a wrong belief is?!!

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
---

Just silly statements. I can falsify Gravity, if I throw a ball in the air and it stays in the air. I can falsify Evolution if a modern rabbit is found lying next to a 65M year old dinosaur fossil. I can falsify Electromagnetism, if two like charges do not repel each other. I can falsify General relativity, if light does not travel at 186,282 mps in a vacuum. So, falsification is very important for establishing any valid scientific explanation. Unlike religion. You are committing the same fallacy(undistributed middle), by claiming that what is observe as being fact. Do you really expect to explain all of the world by observing humans? Do you really think that what we observe through science or religion, becomes a fact because it is observed? I'm sure, even you, can see the obvious flaws in that line of reasoning.

...​

Take 2. How simple is reality?

Well, we have physics. Wikipedia should do Physics - Wikipedia Physics is a word, which when unpacked consists of a lot of aspects. The same for chemistry, biochemistry, biology and so on, Then we come to logic and mathematics. The same applies. Then there are all the different parts of social sciences and humanities including religion and philosophy.
So simple: easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty(Google). All of that is not simple, it is not easily understood or done and I doubt that any human could learn it all. So reality do present a difficulty.

So what is religion to me? Well, it is covered here:
Religion, human beings’ relation to that which they regard as holy, sacred, absolute, spiritual, divine, or worthy of especial reverence. It is also commonly regarded as consisting of the way people deal with ultimate concerns about their lives and their fate after death. In many traditions, this relation and these concerns are expressed in terms of one’s relationship with or attitude toward gods or spirits; in more humanistic or naturalistic forms of religion, they are expressed in terms of one’s relationship with or attitudes toward the broader human community or the natural world. In many religions, texts are deemed to have scriptural status, and people are esteemed to be invested with spiritual or moral authority. Believers and worshippers participate in and are often enjoined to perform devotional or contemplative practices such as prayer, meditation, or particular rituals. Worship, moral conduct, right belief, and participation in religious institutions are among the constituent elements of the religious life.
religion | Definition & List of Religions

Some of the behaviors I do and beliefs I hold are covered in that description of religion.

Even that is not simple, because of the diversity observed in actual beliefs in different humans, so religion is not simple. It is not a single fact, but a host of behaviors, which are somewhat connected.
So when you say, that a human is religious, it is not a single discrete fact. It is a host of factors. To say that a human is religious in a sense says nothing concrete, because religion is so wide a field of human behavior.

PS Here is something about morality and that is not all:
Home | moralfoundations.org

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I haven't read all of it, but it seems to make no mention that other social animals themselves have group dynamics, rules, chastisement, things we would describe as a sense of morality. Darwin surmised morality is a genetic feature of social animals to enhance group cohesion and cooperation. Really, we are limiting our scope and understanding if we approach morality as a human thing (and especially if trying to force squeeze morality into liberals vs conservatives).

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I haven't read all of it, but it seems to make no mention that other social animals themselves have group dynamics, rules, chastisement, things we would describe as a sense of morality. Darwin surmised morality is a genetic feature of social animals to enhance group cohesion and cooperation. Really, we are limiting our scope and understanding if we approach morality as a human thing (and especially if trying to force squeeze morality into liberals vs conservatives).

Well, morality is not an unique human behavior. E.g. fairness can be observed in other species. So yes, morality is not unique to humans.

Edit: And yes, liberal vs conservatives is not as it appears.

Last edited:

Truly Enlightened

So it is not a fact, that you wrote this?
I think it is a fact, that religion is a human behavior just like science is a human behavior.
Now can we agree that both religion and science is a human behavior?
And that human behaviors including yours and mine are parts of the world, but not all of the world?
If it is not a fact, that we are debating, then what is it?

It is certainly a fact that I am typing this post. It is certainly a fact that we are debating. And, it is certainly a fact that our human behavior is a part of the world we live in. These "no-brainer" truisms are true because the evidence is objectively overwhelming, and can be easily verified. Science and Religion are NOT human behaviors. Science is a discipline that studies the nature, structure, and behavior of the physical and natural world. Religion is a belief system that requires the worship and obedience to a supernatural controlling power. We can agree that both are psychological human constructs, that we use to facilitate our understanding of our human behavior. We can also agree that both can certainly affect human behavior. Again, part of our behavior maybe influenced by religion or science, but this does not mean that science, or religion, are human behaviors. Hydrogen and oxygen are both gasses. Water is composed of hydrogen and oxygen. Does this mean that water is also a gas? Can you now see the fallacy?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If I am religious, then does that result in further behavior in me?

Ask a question:
Can religion as a belief in a human result in further behavior in a human?

Background: religion | Definition & List of Religions

Am I religious? Well, I believe in a creator God, which is fair.
Does that lead me to post e.g. on this forum regarding religion and science?
Is this falsifiable and testable? Yes.

How? What is your test? You need to test your claims based upon its own merits.

Is religion a human behavior? Yes.

So what is that I doubt? I doubt that religion as a behavior can be wrong. I.e. religion is a fact, as something some humans do. So when somebody says that religion is based on wrong beliefs, I start by pointing out we have to check what a wrong belief is, if it can lead to observable behavior in humans.
I doubt what a wrong belief is?!!

Forget the rest of your post. You made a rather major faux pas. If you want a discussion errors must be acknowledged.

Truly Enlightened

Take 2. How simple is reality?

Well, we have physics. Wikipedia should do Physics - Wikipedia Physics is a word, which when unpacked consists of a lot of aspects. The same for chemistry, biochemistry, biology and so on, Then we come to logic and mathematics. The same applies. Then there are all the different parts of social sciences and humanities including religion and philosophy.
So simple: easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty(Google). All of that is not simple, it is not easily understood or done and I doubt that any human could learn it all. So reality do present a difficulty.

So what is religion to me? Well, it is covered here:

Some of the behaviors I do and beliefs I hold are covered in that description of religion.

Even that is not simple, because of the diversity observed in actual beliefs in different humans, so religion is not simple. It is not a single fact, but a host of behaviors, which are somewhat connected.
So when you say, that a human is religious, it is not a single discrete fact. It is a host of factors. To say that a human is religious in a sense says nothing concrete, because religion is so wide a field of human behavior.

You made two major flaws, that you don't what to acknowledge. You ignored the mistake that falsifiability has nothing to do with science. You make the mistake that observations alone represents fact. Both are blatant lies at worse, and scientific ignorance at best. So instead of defending your claims, it's deflection time. I couldn't care less how simple you think reality is, or what religion means to you. I couldn't care less about how religion shapes your behavior, your morality, or how many adjectives you can cram in a sentence to give the appearance of complexity. I'm interested in only that you defend your claims. If you can't, might I suggest that another thread where evidence and facts are of less importance, might be more suitable.

Can you provide JUST ONE example of the supernatural, the paranormal, the spiritual, a miracle, a God(s), a true prophesy, any violation or suspension of physical laws, or even a fallacy-free logical argument? Religion is NOT science, anymore than magic is science, or that evolution is just another religion. If you want to believe in adult fairy tales, superstitions, myths and fables without any evidence, then that seems irrational to me. But to believe in these same things, because they come from a man-made, man-created, man-compiled, man-contracted, and man-edited 2700 year old foreign Book of make-believe, designed to excite the minds of children, and control the minds of adults, is just credulous, naïve, and gullible. Just one objective, verifiable piece of evidence, and I would gladly change my views of science. But, even God himself could never change your views of religion.

Maybe it is just part of the human condition, that we must seek the security of something greater than ourselves. Maybe we are all sheep that need the emotional security and guidance from a supernatural, mystical, all-powerful sky-shepherd, to give our lives meaning and purpose. I choose to give my own life meaning and purpose. I choose to take responsibility for my own actions, and not blame those actions on any make-believe characters that exists only in my head. I choose to search for tangible, rational, utilitarian, and objective answers to questions about my physical reality. I choose answers, that don't need to rely on clever verbal and logical gymnastics to defend, or to avoid the burden of proof. These are the choices that demonstrates my own independence and individuality. This is what makes me a unique human being, and not a sheep. The human mind is such a terrible thing to waste. But to do so knowingly is just tragic.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It is certainly a fact that I am typing this post. It is certainly a fact that we are debating. And, it is certainly a fact that our human behavior is a part of the world we live in. These "no-brainer" truisms are true because the evidence is objectively overwhelming, and can be easily verified. Science and Religion are NOT human behaviors. Science is a discipline that studies the nature, structure, and behavior of the physical and natural world. Religion is a belief system that requires the worship and obedience to a supernatural controlling power. We can agree that both are psychological human constructs, that we use to facilitate our understanding of our human behavior. We can also agree that both can certainly affect human behavior. Again, part of our behavior maybe influenced by religion or science, but this does not mean that science, or religion, are human behaviors. Hydrogen and oxygen are both gasses. Water is composed of hydrogen and oxygen. Does this mean that water is also a gas? Can you now see the fallacy?

Let us start here:
Religion, human beings’ relation to that which they regard as holy, sacred, absolute, spiritual, divine, or worthy of especial reverence. It is also commonly regarded as consisting of the way people deal with ultimate concerns about their lives and their fate after death. In many traditions, this relation and these concerns are expressed in terms of one’s relationship with or attitude toward gods or spirits; in more humanistic or naturalistic forms of religion, they are expressed in terms of one’s relationship with or attitudes toward the broader human community or the natural world. In many religions, texts are deemed to have scriptural status, and people are esteemed to be invested with spiritual or moral authority. Believers and worshippers participate in and are often enjoined to perform devotional or contemplative practices such as prayer, meditation, or particular rituals. Worship, moral conduct, right belief, and participation in religious institutions are among the constituent elements of the religious life.

• Religion, human beings’ relation to that which they regard as holy, sacred, absolute, spiritual, divine, or worthy of especial reverence.
I regard humans as a part of nature; and nature as such and humans as sacred and worthy of especial reverence.
  • It is also commonly regarded as consisting of the way people deal with ultimate concerns about their lives and their fate after death.
I deal with the ultimate concern about my life in that I believe, when I die, I die. As for my life, while I am here I try to be better for myself and other humans and better in regards to nature.
  • In many traditions, this relation and these concerns are expressed in terms of one’s relationship with or attitude toward gods or spirits; in more humanistic or naturalistic forms of religion, they are expressed in terms of one’s relationship with or attitudes toward the broader human community or the natural world.
I do the latter as a humanistic and natural religion as for both the broader human community and the natural world, which humans are a part of.
  • Believers and worshippers participate in and are often enjoined to perform devotional or contemplative practices such as prayer, meditation, or particular rituals. Worship, moral conduct, right belief, and participation in religious institutions are among the constituent elements of the religious life.
Since I am a salad bar religious human and I don't have anyone close to form a congregation with, I do it on my own.
I meditate over how to connect better with nature and humans and then try to do it as a practice. I try to live my religion and participate it in the everyday world I am a part of.

Part 2:
"...Again, part of our behavior maybe influenced by religion or science, but this does not mean that science, or religion, are human behaviors. Hydrogen and oxygen are both gasses. Water is composed of hydrogen and oxygen. Does this mean that water is also a gas? Can you now see the fallacy?"
You talk about physics and chemistry. That is a behavior. To test for how these things work, explain and describe it, is a behavior.
If humans were not here e.g. what the word "gravity" is about would still be here. Science wouldn't, there is no science without humans and thus it requires human to do it. Science is a human behavior.

As for God, I believe in a first unmoved mover, which is fair in that we humans have a fighting chance and we can learn by ourselves to make a better world. As for fair that is back to a Boltzmann Brain and all those variants. I don't obey and worship God. I live in the world, which is from God, but I don't obey and worship God. I live for humans, myself and others and for nature. I am a naturalist when it comes to religion. I am not a theist.
I don't obey and worship science, because that is a limited help to me, but there is more to life than science.

So you do your life differently than me, yet you judge me according to your first person, individual and subjective worldview. I do it differently and for all your words about how the world ought to be to me, because the world is so to you, I simply consider that falsifiable and falsify it, in that I can do it differently than you.
So if I am a "fallacy" of sorts to you, then that works for me despite how much it is false, wrong and what not to you.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Maybe it is just part of the human condition, that we must seek the security of something greater than ourselves. Maybe we are all sheep that need the emotional security and guidance from a supernatural, mystical, all-powerful sky-shepherd, to give our lives meaning and purpose. I choose to give my own life meaning and purpose. I choose to take responsibility for my own actions, and not blame those actions on any make-believe characters that exists only in my head. I choose to search for tangible, rational, utilitarian, and objective answers to questions about my physical reality. I choose answers, that don't need to rely on clever verbal and logical gymnastics to defend, or to avoid the burden of proof. These are the choices that demonstrates my own independence and individuality. This is what makes me a unique human being, and not a sheep. The human mind is such a terrible thing to waste. But to do so knowingly is just tragic.

Yep, and this is what you can't do in practice, because reality is not just physical. That you choose is not physical as such. That is a psychological behavior for how you cope.
I cope differently.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
How? What is your test? You need to test your claims based upon its own merits.

Forget the rest of your post. You made a rather major faux pas. If you want a discussion errors must be acknowledged.

Science has a limit, it is objective in its methodology. I just do something subjectively, because I can. That is the actual falsification of if we can do everything only using the scientific methodology.
If you observe a human doing something which is not based on science, you have observed the limit of science.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Take 2
That you choose is subjective, because you could choose differently and still have a life. You can't see your own subjectivity, because you take it for granted and then you judge other humans subjectively based on your own subjectivity.

Maybe it is just part of the human condition, that we must seek the security of something greater than ourselves. Maybe we are all sheep that need the emotional security and guidance from a supernatural, mystical, all-powerful sky-shepherd, to give our lives meaning and purpose. I choose to give my own life meaning and purpose. I choose to take responsibility for my own actions, and not blame those actions on any make-believe characters that exists only in my head. I choose to search for tangible, rational, utilitarian, and objective answers to questions about my physical reality. I choose answers, that don't need to rely on clever verbal and logical gymnastics to defend, or to avoid the burden of proof. These are the choices that demonstrates my own independence and individuality. This is what makes me a unique human being, and not a sheep. The human mind is such a terrible thing to waste. But to do so knowingly is just tragic

All of these highlight words can't be done doing this: Give tangible, rational, utilitarian, and objective answers. None of these are tangible and rational. Utilitarian is philosophy and you can't do those words objectively, because they are based on personal feelings, emotions and interpretations.
That you need to feel unique in regards to other humans, is psychology. I don't need to be unique, I need to be a better version of myself in regards to myself and other humans. As for ethics, I don't do just do utilitarian calculations.
I start with that we are all equal as humans and unique and different as individuals and all worthy as being treat humanely.

Please don't start on ethics. That is my specialty if I have one. You have made a moral code for you and then you think you can objectively apply that to everybody else. You can't, because your moral code is subjective. I know my moral code is subjective and I know yours is too.

Truly Enlightened

Let us start here:

• Religion, human beings’ relation to that which they regard as holy, sacred, absolute, spiritual, divine, or worthy of especial reverence.
I regard humans as a part of nature; and nature as such and humans as sacred and worthy of especial reverence.
  • It is also commonly regarded as consisting of the way people deal with ultimate concerns about their lives and their fate after death.
I deal with the ultimate concern about my life in that I believe, when I die, I die. As for my life, while I am here I try to be better for myself and other humans and better in regards to nature.
  • In many traditions, this relation and these concerns are expressed in terms of one’s relationship with or attitude toward gods or spirits; in more humanistic or naturalistic forms of religion, they are expressed in terms of one’s relationship with or attitudes toward the broader human community or the natural world.
I do the latter as a humanistic and natural religion as for both the broader human community and the natural world, which humans are a part of.
  • Believers and worshippers participate in and are often enjoined to perform devotional or contemplative practices such as prayer, meditation, or particular rituals. Worship, moral conduct, right belief, and participation in religious institutions are among the constituent elements of the religious life.
Since I am a salad bar religious human and I don't have anyone close to form a congregation with, I do it on my own.
I meditate over how to connect better with nature and humans and then try to do it as a practice. I try to live my religion and participate it in the everyday world I am a part of.

Part 2:

You talk about physics and chemistry. That is a behavior. To test for how these things work, explain and describe it, is a behavior.
If humans were not here e.g. what the word "gravity" is about would still be here. Science wouldn't, there is no science without humans and thus it requires human to do it. Science is a human behavior.

As for God, I believe in a first unmoved mover, which is fair in that we humans have a fighting chance and we can learn by ourselves to make a better world. As for fair that is back to a Boltzmann Brain and all those variants. I don't obey and worship God. I live in the world, which is from God, but I don't obey and worship God. I live for humans, myself and others and for nature. I am a naturalist when it comes to religion. I am not a theist.
I don't obey and worship science, because that is a limited help to me, but there is more to life than science.

So you do your life differently than me, yet you judge me according to your first person, individual and subjective worldview. I do it differently and for all your words about how the world ought to be to me, because the world is so to you, I simply consider that falsifiable and falsify it, in that I can do it differently than you.
So if I am a "fallacy" of sorts to you, then that works for me despite how much it is false, wrong and what not to you.

Maybe you should ask someone else to read my post to you, and explain to you my central issues. This might avoid a lot of unnecessary cut, copying, and pasting irrelevant materials. If I need the definition of religion, I can look it up. Let's cut to the chase again.

What is the behavior of Chemistry? What is the behavior of Physics? Not the expressions, the practices, or the rituals. But, the behavior itself? We can clearly see the behavior in narcissists, psychopaths, autism, or manic-depressants. All behaviors are genetically based. What is the gene or behavioral psychopathy for Chemistry, Physics, Science, or Religion? How does describing these scientific disciplines, also describe their behavior?

I'm confused. Are you saying that you believe that God created everything, because science can't explain everything? Are you also saying that you do not worship or obey God? Why not? How do you know that the "unmoved mover" is fair and not evil? Science is not a religion, so no one expects you to worship science. But, if you don't obey the natural laws of science, your life expectancy will be very short indeed. Of course you obey the laws of science, unless you are really a God in disguise.

Regardless of the world in which your mind lives in, your body still lives in the same physical reality as mine does. Since you don't care that your arguments are fallacious, I won't point them out anymore. I also do not judge anyone who needs to find shelter in a world of fantasy, than in a world of reality. Obviously, there are reasons that are totally subjective, and none of my business.

Truly Enlightened

Take 2
That you choose is subjective, because you could choose differently and still have a life. You can't see your own subjectivity, because you take it for granted and then you judge other humans subjectively based on your own subjectivity.

All of these highlight words can't be done doing this: Give tangible, rational, utilitarian, and objective answers. None of these are tangible and rational. Utilitarian is philosophy and you can't do those words objectively, because they are based on personal feelings, emotions and interpretations.
That you need to feel unique in regards to other humans, is psychology. I don't need to be unique, I need to be a better version of myself in regards to myself and other humans. As for ethics, I don't do just do utilitarian calculations.
I start with that we are all equal as humans and unique and different as individuals and all worthy as being treat humanely.

Please don't start on ethics. That is my specialty if I have one. You have made a moral code for you and then you think you can objectively apply that to everybody else. You can't, because your moral code is subjective. I know my moral code is subjective and I know yours is too.

Firstly, we are all trapped in our own subjective perspective. Can you see yourself, from outside of yourself? Can you "mind melt" with another human? Of course not. Everything we experience, through our senses about our physical reality, is from a subjective perspective. However, we can achieve objective, tangible, rational answers. If you stand on the bathroom scales, the scales will give you an objective answer to what is your weight. This can be verified by using other scales, and having the same results displayed. If I plan to make sacrifices early in my life, to be successful later in my life, then I have tangible evidence of that success or failure. If I decide to buy a new washing machine, do you think that my decision will be based on non rational, and nonutilitarian reasons(cost, warranty, performance, serviceability and practicality)? All of these words can be done objectively. Maybe you can tell me why you don't think they can?

I have no idea where ethics came from. But since you are an expert on ethics, then you must know that ethics are not the same as morals. And, it is not a moral code. In fact, our ethics are objective, and our morals are subjective, https://www.dictionary.com/e/moral-vs-ethical/ . Also, I do not need to feel unique. I am unique, just like the other 7+ billion other humans on the planet. There is no multiple versions of self, there is only ONE version I'm afraid. We cannot change our genetic predisposition, or our behavioral traits. We can, at best choose how not to express them. But this will come at a cost in the long run.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Science has a limit, it is objective in its methodology. I just do something subjectively, because I can. That is the actual falsification of if we can do everything only using the scientific methodology.
If you observe a human doing something which is not based on science, you have observed the limit of science.
I see, you are just a fan of word salad and trolling.

dad

Undefeated
Ask a question, and you will get a dishonest and utterly absurd answer as the above.

You continue to make thing up.

The Bible has so much details left out, but you are willing to fill them up with more make-believe.
Speaking of absurd, insinuating crows bake bread takes the cake. You insult God and the bible.