• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science is a false God

Remté

When I was a kid in Arabia EVERYONE had smallpox scars, eye disease and blindness was the norm … and every child under age 2 in al Hasa had malaria.
Blindness was a norm? Wow. Mind you telling where you were exactly?

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
On what basis do you say this?
Facts and history as well as current observations. I know you probably think your religion is the only correct one and feel my observation doesn't apply to yourself, but there are many more religions throughout the world which are not your religion.
Science has nothing to do with religion but it deserves more respect than many of the worshipped gods which was what your op was discussing .

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What does this relate to in your own words?
Your OP looked like a quote from a religious sermon.
For religious preachers, everything looks like some sort of a god or worship of a god.
Though this is true for many other groups immersed in some sort of an ideological narrative.
For example, to a communist everything looks like a class conflict....while to a Freudian everything looks like an outcome of inner psychosis.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Many who say there is no God because science can't prove it actually worship science.

Two non sequiturs and one misconception in one line. Must be the new record.

First off: science is not in the business of proving things. That is what mathematicians do.

Second: Even if science could prove things, the fact that it cannot prove X does not entail that X does not exist. So this deduction does not obtain and it would be irrational to hold

Third: Even If X has no proof that "worshipped" Y exists, and yet that (irrationally) leads us to consider that as a proof that Y does not exist, that does not entail that X is "worshipped", too. That transfer of property is not logically warranted, independently from the fact that the deduction does not obtain

For instance, science cannot prove that "mythological" unicorns exist either. So, even if we (irrationally) conclude that this leads to a proof that unicorns do not exist, that does not warrant to qualify science as "mythological".

Science is useful in claims like "we and orangutang have been created independently because my God, Holy Book or Whatever says so". So, it is useful to defeat some ridicolous claims involving some gods and or believers thereof.

If that is perceived as a full blown attack to the existence of a God, then it is not because we worshipped science, but it is because the believer does not understand logic.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Well what kind of observations? I very much doubt its accuracy and claim its accuracy is impossible to prove.
I was answering the op with my opinion about science doing more for humanity and therefore deserving more respect and worship than gods. Even though the two are totally unrelated.

So how do YOU think the worship of gods has advanced humanity more than science? Give some examples maybe. This is your idea for a topic.

Remté

In Arabia.. and I didn't mention cholera or infant mortality ...
Well in 1986 according to a research 1.5% of Saudi arabian population was blind. That doesn't sound like a norm to me. And most of them caused by cataract which has nothing to do with hygiene and is a problem worldwide. Could have something to do with the amount of radiation from the sun though.

sooda

Veteran Member
Well in 1986 according to a research 1.5% of Saudi arabian population was blind. That doesn't sound like a norm to me. And most of them caused by cataract which has nothing to do with hygiene and is a problem worldwide. Could have something to do with the amount of radiation from the sun though.

Right.. They made huge progress since the 1940s and 1950s. Parasites NOT the sun.
Trachoma.. back then few lived long enough to get cataracts.

Last edited:

Remté

I was answering the op with my opinion about science doing more for humanity and therefore deserving more respect and worship than gods. Even though the two are totally unrelated.

So how do YOU think the worship of gods has advanced humanity more than science? Give some examples maybe. This is your idea for a topic.
Morals, ethics, health, hygiene.

Remté

Right.. They made huge progress since the 1940s and 1950s. Parasites NOT the sun.
I can't follow you don't say anything directly. Like what time, where? And compared to what? Are you aware that there are diseases all over the world. And a hundred years ago there were more all over the world. Provide trustworthy statistics and I'll take your speculation seriously.

Remté

Two non sequiturs and one misconception in one line. Must be the new record.

First off: science is not in the business of proving things. That is what mathematicians do.

Second: Even if science could prove things, the fact that it cannot prove X does not entail that X does not exist. So this deduction does not obtain and it would be irrational to hold

Third: Even If X has no proof that "worshipped" Y exists, and yet that (irrationally) leads us to consider that as a proof that Y does not exist, that does not entail that X is "worshipped", too. That transfer of property is not logically warranted, independently from the fact that the deduction does not obtain

For instance, science cannot prove that "mythological" unicorns exist either. So, even if we (irrationally) conclude that this leads to a proof that unicorns do not exist, that does not warrant to qualify science as "mythological".

Science is useful in claims like "we and orangutang have been created independently because my God, Holy Book or Whatever says so". So, it is useful to defeat some ridicolous claims involving some gods and or believers thereof.

If that is perceived as a full blown attack to the existence of a God, then it is not because we worshipped science, but it is because the believer does not understand logic.

Ciao

- viole
That's completely besides the point as I intented it so I have nothing to say to that. My point is the worship of science not the proving part that was just an observation.

*Preacher uses figurative language in sermon to say that for all it's successes, science doesn't provide us with values so we need to remember our (Christian) moral principles*

*People interpret figurative language literally and argue about it*

sooda

Veteran Member
I can't follow you don't say anything directly. Like what time, where? And compared to what? Are you aware that there are diseases all over the world. And a hundred years ago there were more all over the world. Provide trustworthy statistics and I'll take your speculation seriously.

Saudi Arabia.. 1940s and 1950s. Most of the Arab world was illiterate and impoverished. I am NOT speculating.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That's completely besides the point as I intented it so I have nothing to say to that. My point is the worship of science not the proving part that was just an observation.

And I told you that it is a non sequitur to transfer the property "worship" to science. Even if someone believe it can disprove God or other things amenable to be worshipped. Apparently you did not read that.

Unless you have evidence of people that knee towards Syracuse and recite the Archimedean principle 10 times a day or something of the sort. :)

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Many who say there is no God because science can't prove it actually worship science.

"Let us notice this morning how modern man has made a god of science. It was quite easy for modern man to put his ultimate faith in science because science had brought about such remarkable advances, such tangible and amazing victories. He realized that man through his scientific genius had dwarfed distances and placed time in chains. He noticed the new comforts that had been brought about by science, from the vast improvements in communication to the elimination of many dread plagues and diseases. And so after noticing these astounding successes modern man ushered in a new god and a new religion. Individual scientist became the high priests, chemical and biological instrumants became sacramental agencies through which the invisible grace of the scientific god became visibly manifested, and scientific laboratories became the sanctuaries. And so modern man dutifully worshipped at the shrine of the god of science.

But today we are confronted with the tragic fact that the god of science which we so devoutly worshipped has brought about the possibility of universal annihilation, and so man today stands on the brink of atomic destruction aghast, panic-stricken and petrified. He realizes now that his greatest need is not science which is power, but wisdom which is control. Doubtless some one has been saying, but is it not right to devote ourselves to scientific adventure? Is not science important for the progress of civilization? To this I would answer yes. No person of sound intelligence could minimize science. It is not science in itself that I am condemning, {but it is the tendency of projecting it to the status of God that I am condemning.} We must come to see that science only furnishes us with the means by which we live, but never with the spiritual ends for which we live. And so we must turn back and give our ultimate devotion to the God who integrates the whole of life, to the God in whom we live and move and have our being, to the God who has been our help in ages past, our hope for years to come, our shelter from the stormy blast, and our eternal home.6 Preached July 5, 1953"

False Gods We Worship | The Martin Luther King, Jr., Research and Education Institute

Well! A famous preacher said it so it must
be so!