• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science In The Bible

tosca1

What you need to do is to find some scientific discovery that was due to something found in the Bible. I doubt if you can do that.

PATHS OF THE SEAS

Matthew Fontaine Maury is known as the Pathfinder of the Seas, for his role in developing wind and charts on 1847, the predecessor of today's NGA's Pilot Chart Atlas.
Psalm 8 was the most known verse that gave him inspiration.

Psalm 8
8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.

He was nicknamed "Pathfinder of the Seas" and "Father of Modern Oceanography and Naval Meteorology" and later, "Scientist of the Seas," due to the publication of his extensive works in his books, especially The Physical Geography of the Sea (1855), the first extensive and comprehensive book on oceanography to be published.
Maury made many important new contributions to charting winds and ocean currents, including ocean lanes for passing ships at sea.
Matthew Fontaine Maury - Wikipedia

A postcard showing the dedication ceremony in Goshen Pass, VA, on June 9, 1923.
MATTHEW FONTAINE MAURY
PATHFINDER OF THE SEAS
THE GENIUS WHO FIRST SNATCHED
FROM THE OCEAN AND ATMOSPHERE
THE SECRET OF THEIR LAWS.
BORN JANUARY 14TH, 1806
DIED AT LEXINGTON, VA. FEBRUARY 1ST, 1873
CARRIED THROUGH GOSHEN PASS TO HIS FINAL
RESTING PLACE IN RICHMOND, VIRGINIA.
EVERY MARINER FOR COUNTLESS AGES,
AS HE TAKES HIS CHARTS TO SHAPE
HIS COURSE ACROSS THE SEAS,
WILL THINK OF THEE
HIS INSPIRATION HOLY WRIT
PSALMS 8 & 107, VERSES 3, 23 & 24
ECCLESIASTES CHAP. 1, VERSE 8
A TRIBUTE BY
HIS NATIVE STATE
VIRGINIA
http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...tthewMaury.pdf

Matthew Fontaine Maury wrote in his book Physical Geography of the Sea, 1855:

“I have always found in my scientific studies, that, when I could get the Bible to say anything on the subject it afforded me a firm platform to stand upon, and a round in the ladder by which I could safely ascend.

As our knowledge of nature and her laws has increased, so has our knowledge of many passages of the Bible improved.

The Bible called the earth ‘the round world,’ yet for ages it was the most damnable heresy for Christian men to say that the world is round; and, finally, sailors circumnavigated the globe, and proved the Bible to be right, and saved Christian men of science from the stake.

And as for the general system of circulation which I have been so long endeavoring to describe,
the Bible tells it all in a single sentence:

‘The wind goeth toward the South and returneth again to his circuits.'” (Eccles 1:6)

Matthew Maury | Survivor Library
‘Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!’

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
PATHS OF THE SEAS

Matthew Fontaine Maury is known as the Pathfinder of the Seas, for his role in developing wind and charts on 1847, the predecessor of today's NGA's Pilot Chart Atlas.

Psalm 8
8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.

Pretty much a fail. That there were currents in the sea were known long before his work. He only mapped them

But you are getting the general idea. He may have had some inspiration from the Bible, but there was no information from the Bible that helped him.

And if you are going to try to claim the successes of the Bible you have to own up to the failures. Ae you honest enough to do that?

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
PATHS OF THE SEAS

Psalm 8

A 19th Century cartographer that followed the Bible is not evidence of science in the Bible. It is evidence that he followed the Bible and did some science or other technical work.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
Pretty much a fail. That there were currents in the sea were known long before his work. He only mapped them

But you are getting the general idea. He may have had some inspiration from the Bible, but there was no information from the Bible that helped him.

And if you are going to try to claim the successes of the Bible you have to own up to the failures. Ae you honest enough to do that?
It would not be unexpected to find numerous examples of earlier scientists and technicians like Maury. All that means is that they followed the Bible and drew inspiration from it. Of course it is thrown out there as if it is evidence of some quality of the Bible. But it is just not there.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Is there a queue of creationists waiting to get on this forum and just repeat the same claims, lacking any evidence and follow it up with a standard set of tactics based on insults, personal attacks and logical fallacies?

I have difficulty telling one from the next. They are so carbon copy. At least Patriottechsan provided a little novelty to his approach by addressing no one in particular. It was rude, but novel.

They're usually good for a dozen or so posts then they head off to enlighten a new mob of heathens with their wisdom.

As an aside... isn't day age believer a song by the Monkees?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Okay....back to the topic. Let's do a recap:

Many scientists believe in the harmony of the Bible and science. The National Academy of Sciences had even singled out theistic evolution - the belief that God created the universe and all the processes that makes evolution possible - as a belief that isn't in disagreement with science.

Many scientists are also proponents of the Day-Age theories - the belief that the seven days of Creation are not literally 7 days - but each day is equivalent to thousands or even millions of years. That's how they reconcile the Book of Genesis with science.

I am one of the scientists that believe in the harmony of science and religion, and many other scientists that believe in this harmony do not try to look to Genesis and interpret it to confirm the science of cosmology nor evolution. Genesis is acknowledged as an ancient world view, and the stories are considered part of our spiritual heritage, and contain lessons and stories that have evolved since with spiritual meaning.

Like I've said, the Bible is not meant to be a science book. However, I couldn't help but see the science in it - putting myself in an evolutionist's shoes.
To me, CUMULATIVELY - they give strong evidence that the Creator has intimate knowledge of His creation. Here are what were given so far:

LIFE BEGINS IN WATER post #1
ON GENDERS post #5
THE SNAKE'S LIMBS post #6
IN THE BEGINNING post #7
PANGAEA and PANTHALASSA post #8

------------------

MAN'S DOMINION of ANIMALS

Genesis 1
26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

That is pretty much consistent with reality, and can be observed even today.

This scripture reflects spiritual symbolism, and a continuum with the evolution of the human view of God's relationship with creation and humanity, and all the scripture of the world is a part of this human heritage

Last edited:

Bear Wild

This is so true. I wish that air conditioning were in there. I could use a break from the heat.

We are all just a touch more intelligent from having him here to set us straight.

Kinds. Still does not mean anything in science.

Science is still not described in the Bible and science is still not harmonious with the Bible. However, to make it harmonious with science, it has to be reinterpreted based on unsupported assumptions.

The origin of life and the evolution of life are still related, but distinct concepts and studies.

He has done splendidly.
He has as many before him. I have known two many who read the bible like others read Tarot cards. Some just ask a question and open a page. And if you read the passage just right, low and behold god is talking to you and gives you the answer. Personally I have more trust in Tarot cards since they were designed for creative interpretation. Take any passage of the bible and you can create the meaning you desire.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes. I'm holding.

Figures of speech like this one:

Matthew 18:9
And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.

Lol. Do you see a lot of eye-less Christians fumbling around, because they did just that?

So, if we treat Matthew 18:9 "pluck your eye out," as a figure of speech - why shouldn't we consider other statements mere poetry like the "stretching heavens?"
Of course, until science discovered that the universe is stretching - why would anyone think it isn't simply poetic or a figure of speech?

When science discovered the universe is stretching - of course, we look at those verses describing the stretching heavens in a new light. It is a literal description.
I note, however, that your original reply to my post (send to me as an email alert) read as follows:-

"Yes. Unless it's stated plainly - there are also many of those."

You seem to have had second thoughts and are apparently trying to resile* from that response.

*look it up.
small-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

tosca1

I am one of the scientists that believe in the harmony of science and religion, and many other scientists that believe in this harmony do not try to look to Genesis and interpret it to confirm the science of cosmology nor evolution. Genesis is acknowledged as an ancient world view, and the stories are considered part of our spiritual heritage, and contain lessons and stories that have evolved since with spiritual meaning.

This scripture reflects spiritual symbolism, and a continuum with the evolution of the human view of God's relationship with creation and humanity, and all the scripture of the world is a part of this human heritage

Not every scientists that believe in the harmony of science and religion are like you.

I'm talking about evolutionist scientists that do interpret Genesis with the Day-Age theories! And putting myself in their shoes, I see where they're coming from!

I don't know why almost everyone gets all excited about that! Like I've just jumped into something taboo.......something that no one should dare bring out.

I believe God created science for a special reason. So, there!
I can assume that perhaps, it's purpose is the glorification of God.
A scientists had once quipped, "the revelations given by science to confirm the Bible, is like peeling off an onion skin."

I must say, with modern technology - to those who believe like me - these are exciting times!

Lol. Wouldn't that beat all, if after all this searching for other life forms out there - they end up discovering that in another solar system - a planet like earth is also peopled by humans! And, they also have the Bible! Hahahahaha

Did they need a Messiah (like us?) Maybe they also did.....or, maybe not.
Hey, our imagination can go anywhere....:shrug:

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not every scientists that believe in the harmony of science and religion are like you.

I'm talking about evolutionist scientists that do interpret Genesis with the Day-Age theories! And putting myself in their shoes, I see where they're coming from!
What makes you think that they are scientists? Creationists tend not to be scientists. To be a scientist one must use the scientific method.

tosca1

What makes you think that they are scientists? Creationists tend not to be scientists. To be a scientist one must use the scientific method.

Thank you.
You just provided another evidence that you and the others just spout off knowing squat!

Mind you, arguments from ignorance is so common with evolutionists peanut gallery.....and yet, they're the ones who arrogantly ridicule religion and creationists!

If I sound arrogant to some folks - it's because there's really something to be arrogant about! Does that sound another arrogance, or what? :)
Having faced all the arrogance that comes from fakers - lol, of course I only get more confident.
I can put my money where my mouth is.When I make a claim - you bet, I can support it.

I can understand too, that a lot of evolutionists confuse arrogance with confidence.....simply because they've never really felt the experience of being confident about their position.

When push comes to shoves - they cannot offer anything to support their case.
They know it too.

The biggest fail was the guru - Richard Dawkins the one who promoted the abrasive and abusive treatment of anyone who believes in God - founding new atheism, and posturing arrogance!

Dawkins' posture on arrogance is mimicked by his followers - the new atheists.
In the end, truth comes out. You can only posture for so long.
Dawkins was mocked, even by some prominent atheists! His cowardice to defend his own book, "The God Delusion".....had sunk him.
He's not dumb. He knew he couldn't defend his own book.
Where is he now? Therefore, how can his mimickers feel confident? :shrug:

So....if you know you cannot go on a marathon of REAL and RATIONAL DEBATE with your position - you try to shut down the subject you fear.

So....here's the response.

Skeptics sometimes demand a list of creationist scientists who have contributed to science. We can make a powerful five-fold response to this challenge:
Creationists founded modern science

Creationist presuppositions provide the philosophical backbone to science

Creationist achievements stand tall
Creationist scientist contributions - creation.com

Check out some of the creationist scientists (and their contribution), mentioned above.

NOTE: be forewarned. There's also something to be said about evolution.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thank you.
You just provided another evidence that you and the others just spout off knowing squat!

Mind you, arguments from ignorance is so common with evolutionists peanut gallery.....and yet, they're the ones who arrogantly ridicule religion and creationists!

If I sound arrogant to some folks - it's because there's really something to be arrogant about! Does that sound another arrogance, or what? :)
Having faced all the arrogance that comes from fakers - lol, of course I only get more confident.
I can put my money where my mouth is.When I make a claim - you bet, I can support it.

I can understand too, that a lot of evolutionists confuse arrogance with confidence.....simply because they've never really felt the experience of being confident about their position.

When push comes to shoves - they cannot offer anything to support their case.
They know it too.

The biggest fail was the guru - Richard Dawkins the one who promoted the abrasive and abusive treatment of anyone who believes in God - founding new atheism, and posturing arrogance!

Dawkins' posture on arrogance is mimicked by his followers - the new atheists.
In the end, truth comes out. You can only posture for so long.
Dawkins was mocked, even by some prominent atheists! His cowardice to defend his own book, "The God Delusion".....had sunk him.
He's not dumb. He knew he couldn't defend his own book.
Where is he now? Therefore, how can his mimickers feel confident? :shrug:

So....if you know you cannot go on a marathon of REAL and RATIONAL DEBATE with your position - you try to shut down the subject you fear.

So....here's the response.

Check out some of the creationist scientists (and their contribution), mentioned above.

NOTE: be forewarned. There's also something to be said about evolution.
Oh my! There goes another irony meter.

First off rational people.do not rely on excessive Green Ink (look it up). That is the first sign that one is dealing with a crazy person

Second, your posts demonstrate a complete ignorance of what science is and how it is done. Would you like to go over the basics of science so that you do not keep making mistakes that are not even at the high school level?

tosca1

Oh my! There goes another irony meter.

First off rational people.do not rely on excessive Green Ink (look it up). That is the first sign that one is dealing with a crazy person

Second, your posts demonstrate a complete ignorance of what science is and how it is done. Would you like to go over the basics of science so that you do not keep making mistakes that are not even at the high school level?

Never mind trying to deflect!
You proved yourself to be clueless by your own post. Tha's all.
Refer to post # 175. You said:

Subduction Zone said:

I gave you a straightforward evidence to show the ignorance of your comment:

Creationists founded modern science

Creationist presuppositions provide the philosophical backbone to science

Creationist achievements stand tall

I'll even pile on some more, giving a list of scientists and their contributions Here:

SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINES ESTABLISHED
BY CREATIONIST SCIENTISTS

To illustrate the caliber and significance of these great scientists of the past, Tables I and II have been prepared. These tabulations are not complete lists, of course, but at least are representative and they do point up the absurdity of modern assertions that no true scientist can be a creationist and Bible-believing Christian.
Table I lists the creationist "fathers" of many significant branches of modern science. Table II lists the creationist scientists responsible for various vital inventions, discoveries, and other contributions to mankind.
In each case, the scientists listed were strict creationists, unreservedly believing in the Bible and the God of the Bible. Some were "progressive creationists," but none were theistic evolutionists, so far as can be determined.
Bible-Believing Scientists of the Past

Hahahaha did you see that? In case you missed this one.

"..... but none were theistic evolutionists, so far as can be determined."

Let's say that again:

none were theistic evolutionists

Looks like everything you throw, comes back smack to your face like a boomerang!

"Boomerang." Remember that word.
From my experience in forums - new atheists tend to kiss the boomerang so often.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Never mind trying to deflect. You proved yourself to be clueless by your own post.
Refer to post # 175. You said:

I gave you a straightforward evidence to show the ignorance of your comment:

Wow! Those weren't creationists. You do not even know what creationism is. Your ignorance shines through again. You are making the mistake of relying on lying sources. Ones which require their workers to swear not to use the scientific method.

Creationism is a reaction to the theory of evolution. It did not exist until after Darwin wrote his theory. It is a denial of science. Claiming that Newton was a creationist is the same as claiming that he was a denier of the theory of relativity. One cannot deny that which does not exist yet.

gnostic

The Lost One
Let me be clear about this: the Bible is not a science book.
However, with that being said - I couldn't help but see the science in it.
From an evolutionist's perspective - Genesis is loaded!

Like this one:

Genesis 1
20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life,

Moving creatures that has life, came to life in the water!
salt water.....freshwater pond ........water is water.

https://phys.org/news/2012-02-scientist-life-began-freshwater-pond.html

Doesn't that strikes a chord with Darwinists?
Transforming dust magically into a living adult man (Genesis 2:7) isn’t science:

“Genesis 2:7” said:
7 then the Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the man became a living being.

And then instantly transforming a man’s rib into a living adult woman (Genesis 2:21-22) isn’t science:

“Genesis 2:21-22” said:
21 So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then he took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. 22 And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.

And then you have a talking serpent in Genesis, also not science.

These are miracles, they are magic, they fall under the category of supernatural...they are religious myth and fables, and they are science.

How is the Genesis creation myth any different from Egyptian creation myths or Babylonian creation myth?

And when compared Genesis creation with the much older Babylonian creation narratives, the parallels only demonstrated that the ancient Jews of the 1st millennium BCE had borrowed and adapted some of popular 2nd millennium BCE Babylonian epics that have spread east and west, examples:
  1. Epic of Atrahasis
  2. Epic of Gilgamesh
  3. Enûma Eliš (or the Epic of Creation)
These epics were themselves derived, borrowed and adapted from the 3rd millennium BCE older sources, Sumerian poems:
  1. Eridu Genesis
  2. The Death of Bilgames (Bilgames was the original Gilgamesh). There are 4 other tablets containing the poems of Gilgamesh.
There several other Sumerian creation stories.

Anyway, the Sumerian and Akkadian-Babylonian stories all predated the composition of Genesis.

The Enûma Eliš is of great importance, because the order of creation are almost identical to order of creative days in Genesis 1, so I think ancient Hebrews were aware of the story of Marduk.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
But as stated by the National Academy of Sciences, the supernatural extend beyond science's realm (so far. Who knows maybe there'll be a breakthrough!) ........

.........therefore, outright automatical dismissal of the supernatural as "myth," is just simply based on......... ignorance.
Your logic needs some work.

But that aside, if the supernatural is not detectable, measurable, observable or demonstrable, how do we know it even exists at all? The lack of those very important pieces of evidence may have something to do with peoples' lack of belief in supernatural claims. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

I don't know why almost everyone gets all excited about that! Like I've just jumped into something taboo.......something that no one should dare bring out.

I believe God created science for a special reason. So, there!
I can assume that perhaps, it's purpose is the glorification of God.
A scientists had once quipped, "the revelations given by science to confirm the Bible, is like peeling off an onion skin."

I must say, with modern technology - to those who believe like me - these are exciting times!

Lol. Wouldn't that beat all, if after all this searching for other life forms out there - they end up discovering that in another solar system - a planet like earth is also peopled by humans! And, they also have the Bible! Hahahahaha

Did they need a Messiah (like us?) Maybe they also did.....or, maybe not.
Hey, our imagination can go anywhere....:shrug:
Human beings created science.

cladking

Human beings created science.

Every word in your sentence brings perspective and baggage and then you wonder why everyone doesn't agree with you.

It certainly is obvious people with faith understand science far better than people who model science understand faith. If we ask ourselves why this is it might allow a better understanding.

Of course we created science but that doesn't mean God magically existed until we invented it and magically can't exist just because we've identified four fundamental forces that may or may not be related. Maybe there's no magic of any sort and still a Creator might or might not exist. There is no experiment that denies the possibility of an Original Cause and there might never be if we stay hung up in the 1880's.

Wandering Monk

Every word in your sentence brings perspective and baggage and then you wonder why everyone doesn't agree with you.

It certainly is obvious people with faith understand science far better than people who model science understand faith. If we ask ourselves why this is it might allow a better understanding.

Of course we created science but that doesn't mean God magically existed until we invented it and magically can't exist just because we've identified four fundamental forces that may or may not be related. Maybe there's no magic of any sort and still a Creator might or might not exist. There is no experiment that denies the possibility of an Original Cause and there might never be if we stay hung up in the 1880's.

Essentially you have just said what others here have said: the existence of a Creator is not falsifiable therefore not a scientific question.