• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science Fiction

rojse

RF Addict
Two books to add to the fantasy recommendations on this list (both are satires):

"Small Gods", Terry Pratchett - a young, devout religious man meets his god, Om - which is a small tortoise with big plans.
"Good Omens," by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman - Pratchett and Gaiman manage to make a comedy about the end of days.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I adore Gaiman, but I haven't gotten to Pratchett, yet. He did the Discworld novels, yes?

rojse

RF Addict
I adore Gaiman, but I haven't gotten to Pratchett, yet. He did the Discworld novels, yes?

Indeed he did.

They are well-written enough that you don't have to start with the first or second book (and it's probably better that you don't; they're not bad, but the rest of his books are far better).

rojse

RF Addict
Would like to add a mention for "The Sparrow", by Mary Doria Russel, on this thread. A religious mission to an inhabited planet in a nearby galaxy goes horribly wrong. Excellent book, lots of religious questions, and to see what makes Father Emelio change from being staunchly religious to becoming atheist makes it worth reading for that reason alone.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I would like a few suggestions from the posters on this forum about their favourite science fiction novels, and what they liked about those books. I would be especially interested if these books contained discussion on religion and/or philosophy.

Dune - Frank Herbert - This is, arguably, the best science-fiction novel of all time. It deals heavily with a variety of religious, philosophical, and political themes.

Hyperion Cantos - Dan Simmons - (Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, Rise of Endymion) - The first two books are paired and the last two books are paired, although they are all interrelated. These are also very heavily religiously themed.

The Ender Series - Orson Scott Card - These books also deal with religion and philosophy, but also deal with anthropology and biology to a large extent.

These are the primary ones that come to mind.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I don't do nearly as much reading as I want to. I got myself started recently, but I have slacked off since I started studying for the A+ certification. Sci-Fi/Fantasy is my favorite genre, though.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll add:

The martian series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It's a total of ten books (or is it eleven?). I have never actually read all of them. I've gotten through the first 5, and the first 3 more than once. Mostly, they are just good escapist literature, nothing especially deep. I like to think of them as great action movies in book form. The second book, though, delves a bit into religion. It's called The Gods of Mars. The series starts with the main character, the hero, John Carter being transported mysteriously to Mars, where he encounters all sorts of different races of beings. He is the main character in the first several books, and in The Gods of Mars, he encounters the gods of Mars (hence the title :D).

I also loved Dune, but I haven't read the entire series. The original is one of the best books I've ever read.

Bloodring by Faith Hunter is a book about the world after the apocalypse. It's a mix of things. It involves angels, as in a Christian God, and demons and a war between them that plunges the Earth into an ice age. Humans are still around, but the population, of course, is down immensely. The main character is a "neomage", so there's also an element of magic. Honestly, I never finished it. It had some interesting stuff, but I found myself not feeling like reading it, so I stopped.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
I've seen Heinlein mentioned but I can't beleinve that no one has specifically recommended Stranger in a Strange Land.

In my mind it is precisely what the OP is looking for, SF with a religious/philosophical slant. A must read.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I've seen Heinlein mentioned but I can't beleinve that no one has specifically recommended Stranger in a Strange Land.

In my mind it is precisely what the OP is looking for, SF with a religious/philosophical slant. A must read.
That book is ok, but I did not consider it to be as good as many make it out to be.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
"Flowers for Algernon", Daniel Keyes - a story about a retarted man who receives a treatment to become more intelligent. This is one of the few books that actually moved me emotionally, and made me care about the character's plight.

I just read this a cpl months ago (it isn't actually a book, it's a short story) and I agree; it's one of those stories that digs deeply into some of the nastier aspects of the typical human personality.

It's completely merciless and it strikes chords all over the place. :yes:

(there's also a movie with Cliff Roberts).

rojse

RF Addict
I just read this a cpl months ago (it isn't actually a book, it's a short story) and I agree; it's one of those stories that digs deeply into some of the nastier aspects of the typical human personality.

It's completely merciless and it strikes chords all over the place. :yes:

(there's also a movie with Cliff Roberts).

I'll have to have a look for the movie.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I haven't read through all the posts, so I hope I'm not reiterating anything...

But Isaac Asimov. His books span the philosophical gamut: what is God, morality, free will, Self.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I've also been reading Ray Bradbury The Martian Chronicles. Lots of existential absurdity there. You want a mind trip, check it out.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I haven't read through all the posts, so I hope I'm not reiterating anything...

But Isaac Asimov. His books span the philosophical gamut: what is God, morality, free will, Self.
I've only read the Foundation Trilogy, but I was unimpressed.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

Im pretty sure I mentioned Stranger in a Strange Land in this very thread.