• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science does what God(s) cannot.

FranklinMichaelV.3

The lack of tribulations can also be damaging. Humans, on the whole, seem to fare better when we have obstacles to overcome.

I would argue that's stockholme syndrome...the idea that we must suffer to learn is just strange to me and it's been shown that positive reinforcement has a much longer standing impact than negative ones.

Akivah

Doesn't seem strange to me, it seems obvious. If all our needs were taken care of, then we would have no need to work, strive or learn. If we had no needs, nothing would need to ever be done. Ever hear of "necessity is the mother of invention"?

Skwim

Veteran Member
But God's purpose is far grander and longer lasting than anything possible today by modern science. God promises to " wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore."(Revelation 21:4) Jesus Christ displayed God's ability and desire to heal mankind, by miraculously healing all sorts of infirmities, and even raising the dead. Man's cures are temporary, God's cures are everlasting.
Promises, promises, promises. There comes a time when the declaration starts to ring hollow, and that ringing started long, long ago. Suffering has hardly abated one iota in the last three thousand years, and where it has, it's only because science or circumstances have stepped in.

Last edited:

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Modern medicine does some good in improving health and prolonging life. But God's purpose is far grander and longer lasting than anything possible today by modern science. God promises to " wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore."(Revelation 21:4)

Meanwhile, in reality....

Children are dying of ailments that we can cure today. Left up to people like you they would continue to suffer and die while your fictional God ruminates upon some grand plan. And to say that their suffering is fair enough because they'll get a better deal in the next life is simply inhuman and immoral.

. Man's cures are temporary, God's cures are everlasting.

For the last 2 millennia it seems God's cure for cancer has been death. Which I concede is everlasting. But I also say is a right old pile of cobblers.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
If this world were all about the good being rich, beautiful, or healthy the question might make some sense. But that is not why G-d created man or the earth. We are here to grow spiritually. People do not grow from having things handed to them on a silver platter. We grow through trial and tribulation.

It has often been said that we cannot change many of the things around us, but we can change our attitude. When faced with trials, choose ways to turn those lemons into lemonade. Choose to find the light in the darkest corner. Heal the world and begin with yourself. And learn from the experience along the way.

I need God for this?

rusra02

Premium Member
Meanwhile, in reality....

Children are dying of ailments that we can cure today. Left up to people like you they would continue to suffer and die while your fictional God ruminates upon some grand plan. And to say that their suffering is fair enough because they'll get a better deal in the next life is simply inhuman and immoral.

For the last 2 millennia it seems God's cure for cancer has been death. Which I concede is everlasting. But I also say is a right old pile of cobblers.

I think many people wonder why God has not ended suffering sooner. I believe the Bible clearly gives God's reasons. One reason is stated at 2 Peter 3:9: "Jehovah is not slow concerning his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." I believe God's patience has permitted millions to come to know the truth and make the necessary changes in their lives to be acceptable to God. There are other, even more important reasons, why God has temporarily allowed suffering to exist. One has but to search to find them.

rusra02

Premium Member

I agree that science has done some good in relieving suffering. However, science has also caused and continues to cause great suffering. Drugs such as Thalidomide and many others have caused much more suffering then they alleviated. The science of chemistry has produced products that have caused millions of deaths, some intentionally, others accidentilly. The same can be said of other sciences. Those who look to scientific advances as mankind's salvation will be disappointed, IMO.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
You actually think science and God are somehow opponents, and that somehow this shows anything?

It's things like this which make me lose faith in fellow Britons.

Not at all. I have often said that Religion and Science are not necessarily opposing ideas. Science simply finds no evidence behind the claims of religion and so doesn't deal with it.

My point here is that while the religious claim that it's a miracle that their middle-class ailments have been cured by the good lord, science is going ahead and dealing with the real problems where this alleged god is supposedly not.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Not at all. I have often said that Religion and Science are not necessarily opposing ideas. Science simply finds no evidence behind the claims of religion and so doesn't deal with it.

My point here is that while the religious claim that it's a miracle that their middle-class ailments have been cured by the good lord, science is going ahead and dealing with the real problems where this alleged god is supposedly not.
I'm still not seeing the issue, here.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you even read my original post for context?

It doesn't seem like you're giving acknowledgement to the diversity of "religious" claims with regard to the resolutions of sick humans. In particular, you seem to be either overlooking or ignoring the fact that the god-concept held by many theists easily allows for "miracles" to operate through "mundane" modes of delivery. You also seem to be either overlooking or ignoring the fact that not all theists posit god(s) that care about the welfare of human beings. Whatever the heck you're trying to say here, it's not applicable to many theisms.

roger1440

I do stuff
Joanne Milne: Woman hears for first time after her new cochlear implants switched on at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital - Birmingham Mail

Her reaction is so heart-warming and uplifting indeed. Science is, once again, doing the work that God(s) cannot or will not do.
God heals the spiritually ill, but one must be a willing patient. Miraculous cures are closer than you think. You just have to know where to look.
“So he replied to the messengers, "Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor.” (Luke 7:22)
The desert and the parched land will be glad;
the wilderness will rejoice and blossom.
Like the crocus,
2 it will burst into bloom;
it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy.
The glory of Lebanon will be given to it,
the splendor of Carmel and Sharon;
they will see the glory of the Lord,
the splendor of our God.
3 Strengthen the feeble hands,
steady the knees that give way;
4 say to those with fearful hearts,
“Be strong, do not fear;
your God will come,
he will come with vengeance;
with divine retribution
he will come to save you.”