1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Science confirms validity of intercessory prayer

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by Spartan, Jun 17, 2019.

1. The Reverend Bob

The Reverend Bob Fart Machine and Beastmaster

Ratings:
    +1,599
    Religion:
    Non-realist
    Once again, if read the second study you would see that the whole endeavor was bull****. What do we do with these studies? Some say yes and some say no? Junk science of no value. Junk science. Move on to finding an actual cure to cancer rather than studying if acupuncture or prayer has any effect on the common cold. It was all a bunch of garbage whether pro or con.

2. atanu

atanu Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,461
    Religion:
    Hindu Sanatana Dharma
    So, what is the mechanism by which a guru applies placebo on devotees? You accept that placebo is real. So, how do you explain that from materialistic position?

3. SkepticThinker

SkepticThinker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,605
    The study didn't say that though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,488
    Religion:
    diversity
    I might be able to help with this.

The placebo is the presence or the concept of the Guru. The mechanism for effect **might be** power of suggestion mixed with the desire to please and the desire to confirm their own beliefs. @Left Coast provided an interesting article that spoke about it.. I can look it up if you wish. The article didn't specifically speak about Gurus. The article was speaking about psychics, but the mechanism **might be** the same. The devotee wants the Guru to have a super-normal ability. Additionally the devotee knows that the Guru will be pleased with them if they recognize the effect. And the devotee wants confirmation for their beliefs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. charlie sc

charlie sc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356
    Religion:
    Atheism
    Look it up if you want to and consider the affects. I already showed you it’s a real phenomenon in science. I have no interest in baby feeding you every piece of information and other people’s ignorance or incompetence only goes so far with me.

#185 charlie sc, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  6. atanu

atanu Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,461
    Religion:
    Hindu Sanatana Dharma
    I am asking you the scientific explanation of the mechanism. It is mature talk. Not baby feeding. :confused:

7. atanu

atanu Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,461
    Religion:
    Hindu Sanatana Dharma
    I do know a little bit about it. But my question was to bring to front the fact that ‘placebo’ efffect cannot be supported from the premise of mechanical-material origin of consciousness-intelligence.

The guru, I was referring to was Shri Ramana Maharshi. He himself used to say that it was the faith of the devotees that made all magical things happen. Yet, the fact is that not all people can command such faith.

A meditating man can effortlessly spread peace.

• Like Like x 1
  8. charlie sc

charlie sc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356
    Religion:
    Atheism
    I am baby feeding. It's so substantiated in science that it's the norm to do in drug trials and there are many experiments with it. Even after linking that site and explaining it, you say, "You accept that placebo is real." As if I'm making it up or it's some strange phenomenon that pops up every now and then. If you really want to do research on it, be my guest. Though, I have no interest in explaining the obvious to you. Maybe I'll make a whole post to everyone so that I can spoon feed a bunch of people rather than just you. Yeah, that sounds more fun.

9. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,488
    Religion:
    diversity
    Hmmm. maybe it can be supported. more data is needed. The problem is replicating the results and determining a "recipe" that works.

10. atanu

atanu Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,461
    Religion:
    Hindu Sanatana Dharma
    Most of us know all of what you say. I am asking for the mechanism.

If consciousness-awareness is epiphenomenon of neurones firing in brain, then how this epiphenomenon influences brain states ?

11. 12jtartar

12jtartar Active Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Religion:
    Christian
    Spartan,
    I believe in prayer also, but I can see where your study of people could be putting forward an answer not proven.
    When a person believes in something very strongly, the makeup of the person can overcome problems, even diseases. Sometimes it takes only a very little help for a person’s body to overcome a disease, because the bodies natural defenses are trying to heal a person.
    The reason a person gets well better than someone without prayer, is the believer, believes he is going to get well.
    I suspect that you could get similar occurrences, if the person prays for another person. The reason?? Because he believes that if he prays for another person, it will help. The help will also help the person who prays as well as the person prayed for.
    Today, God does not actually HEAL, but He will help you to find the best way to be healed, at that time, if we pray to Him.

12. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,143
    Religion:
    Atheist
    The topic of the thread is intercessory prayer, or praying for someone else. Studies cannot find any improvement from such an action.