• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science cannot solve the final mystery

cladking

Broca's area ... are "fixed" (though they generally switch hemispheres in left-handed people).

Why do I keep reading this same sort of thing in the literature and you keep gainsaying it?

" Further, because of considerable variability across brains in terms of shape, size, and position relative to sulcal and gyral structure, a resulting localization precision is limited.[6]"

gnostic

The Lost One
Prove it! It seems to me like there is probably more content in philosophy, since it covers a much wider range of topics than science.

Really, Landon? Are you not aware of the progresses in natural science? Or have you had your head proverbially bury in the sand?

Sure, philosophy in the past, have contributed to science in the past, and I have already the history certain philosophies have play vital roles in natural science, BUT NOT TODAY.

The modern philosophies of the 20th and 21st centuries, their records of achievements have been dismissal.

But noticed that I am not talking about Social Science; I have been referring to NATURAL SCIENCE, like biology, physics, chemistry, Earth science and astronomy, and the roles they played in technology and engineering; thus, I am talking about APPLIED SCIENCE and in MEDICINE.

I was referring to advances in natural science, not social science. Philosophies haven’t done well in natural science.

Natural science played a very important roles in applied science, because that where a lot of works are being done. That’s the evidences of what natural science have contributed to.

Philosophies do play bigger roles in social science than natural science.

tas8831

Why do I keep reading this same sort of thing in the literature and you keep gainsaying it?

" Further, because of considerable variability across brains in terms of shape, size, and position relative to sulcal and gyral structure, a resulting localization precision is limited.[6]"

Because as a self-taught layman, you are over-interpreting it. Cool wiki page, though.

It is in the region of the inferior frontal gyrus. It is not in the EXACT SAME IDENTICAL AREA in all people - which is to say the exact borders are not identical in all people. Just as not all people have the same color of hair on our scalp, yet we have hair on our scalp - not every person has arms of precisely the same length, but we all have arms in the same location, so too do we all have a Broca's area on the inf. frontal gyrus, just not with the exact same 'borders.' Not that hard to grasp, if one actually tries.

Again, I get it - you cannot handle the fact that you are wrong on these things and are desperate to find a way to save fave.

But you just look... desperate. Why is it so hard for you to admit error?

Weird that in your link, you failed to see or understand this:

"Broca’s area is now typically defined in terms of the pars opercularis and pars triangularis of the inferior frontal gyrus, represented in Brodmann’s cytoarchitectonic map as areas 44 and 45.[1]"

Whats that? Your link says I AM RIGHT????

Huh...

And it goes into more detail:

Broca's area is often identified by visual inspection of the topography of the brain either by macrostructural landmarks such as sulci or by the specification of coordinates in a particular reference space. The currently used Talairach and Tournoux atlas projects Brodmann's cytoarchitectonic map on to a template brain. Because Brodmann's parcelation was based on subjective visual inspection of cytoarchitectonic borders and also Brodmann analyzed only one hemisphere of one brain, the result is imprecise. Further, because of considerable variability across brains in terms of shape, size, and position relative to sulcal and gyral structure, a resulting localization precision is limited.[3]

Nevertheless, Broca’s area in the left hemisphere and its homologue in the right hemisphere are designations usually used to refer to pars triangularis (PTr) and pars opercularis (POp) of the inferior frontal gyrus. The PTr and POp are defined by structural landmarks that only probabilistically divide the inferior frontal gyrus into anterior and posterior cytoarchitectonic areas of 45 and 44, respectively, by Brodmann’s classification scheme.[4]

Double-huh. Context, Johnny "broccas area"... context...

I guess you just missed that.... or felt justified in ignoring it because you found the word "variability", which, I suppose, to you means it can be found willy-nilly any old place in the brain.

Which is dumb.

gnostic

The Lost One
Nor can religion. What of it?
What I really hate, is when people used their superlative to describe, like “Ultimate”, “Absolute”, “Perfect”, “Pure”, etc.

There are mysteries in this world, and many more mysteries in the vastness of this universe, that we don’t know of or that we don’t understand.

There is no single “ultimate mystery of nature”, as atanu claimed.

And you are right, no religions understand all the mysteries of nature, nor do philosophies.

Any philosopher or religious person, who think they have all the answers, are either lying, or they are seriously deluded.

tas8831

As I said earlier, the simple fact is that almost every argument raised against my theory is either wholly irrelevant or supports it.

Except when they don't.

Creationists do like to co-opt the evidence for evolution, and you do the same. At some point, I should think you might get tired of being humiliated so often, but you've been at this for what - 5 years? 10? Weird.

tas8831

I doubt it necessarily means that the chimps "grew a broca's area" as the study authors said.
They said no such thing.
""One interpretation of our results is that chimpanzees have, in essence, a 'language-ready brain,' " he said. "By this, we are suggesting that apes are born with and use the brain areas identified here when producing signals that are part of their communicative repertoire."

cladking

The modern philosophies of the 20th and 21st centuries, their records of achievements have been dismissal.

I don't suppose you noticed that this failure coincides closely with Einstein and that cosmology has been mired in the 1920's.

How can philosophy contribute to progress when there is no progress?

cladking

They said no such thing.
""One interpretation of our results is that chimpanzees have, in essence, a 'language-ready brain,' " he said. "By this, we are suggesting that apes are born with and use the brain areas identified here when producing signals that are part of their communicative repertoire."

So you simply choose to ignore the authors' conclusions even though you cited this to start with as evidence I'm wrong;

"Alternatively, one might argue that, because our apes were captive-born and producing communicative signals not seen often in the wild, the specific learning and use of these signals 'induced' the pattern of brain activation we saw. This would suggest that there is tremendous plasticity in the chimpanzee brain, as there is in the human brain, and that the development of certain kinds of communicative signals might directly influence the structure and function of the brain.""

You see what you want to see and you can't imagine that a mere child (or ignoramus) could notice the king has no clothes.

Me, I'm all wrapped up so no child like mind will ever point and say I'm naked. I might be wrong but my theories are clothed in logic and evidence. They are not dependent on language and its assumptions.

tas8831

So you simply choose to ignore the authors' conclusions even though you cited this to start with as evidence I'm wrong;
No, I choose not to take one alternative 'argument' (which does not say that chimps just grew a Broca's area) as the one true one. Why did you ignore their 'main' argument?

Why not just present evidence that you are correct and be done with it?

I mean, you keep ranting about how ALL experiment and evidence supports you, it should be EASY for you to present some.

But I'm guessing that you cannot actually find any - even on wiki!

So you just do what you do.

Last edited:

tas8831

Weird that @cladking replied to a later post of mine, yet ignore this one...

cladking:Why do I keep reading this same sort of thing in the literature and you keep gainsaying it?

Because as a self-taught layman, you are over-interpreting it. Cool wiki page, though.

It is in the region of the inferior frontal gyrus. It is not in the EXACT SAME IDENTICAL AREA in all people - which is to say the exact borders are not identical in all people. Just as not all people have the same color of hair on our scalp, yet we have hair on our scalp - not every person has arms of precisely the same length, but we all have arms in the same location, so too do we all have a Broca's area on the inf. frontal gyrus, just not with the exact same 'borders.' Not that hard to grasp, if one actually tries.

Again, I get it - you cannot handle the fact that you are wrong on these things and are desperate to find a way to save fave.

"Broca’s area is now typically defined in terms of the pars opercularis and pars triangularis of the inferior frontal gyrus, represented in Brodmann’s cytoarchitectonic map as areas 44 and 45.[1]"

Huh...

Broca's area is often identified by visual inspection of the topography of the brain either by macrostructural landmarks such as sulci or by the specification of coordinates in a particular reference space. The currently used Talairach and Tournoux atlas projects Brodmann's cytoarchitectonic map on to a template brain. Because Brodmann's parcelation was based on subjective visual inspection of cytoarchitectonic borders and also Brodmann analyzed only one hemisphere of one brain, the result is imprecise. Further, because of considerable variability across brains in terms of shape, size, and position relative to sulcal and gyral structure, a resulting localization precision is limited.[3]

Nevertheless, Broca’s area in the left hemisphere and its homologue in the right hemisphere are designations usually used to refer to pars triangularis (PTr) and pars opercularis (POp) of the inferior frontal gyrus. The PTr and POp are defined by structural landmarks that only probabilistically divide the inferior frontal gyrus into anterior and posterior cytoarchitectonic areas of 45 and 44, respectively, by Brodmann’s classification scheme.[4]

I guess you just missed that.... or felt justified in ignoring it because you found the word "variability", which, I suppose, to you means it can be found willy-nilly any old place in the brain.

Which is dumb.

atanu

Premium Member
Nor can religion. What of it?

The goal and methods of religion are different. For example, most religions will take nature to be ultimately inscrutable. But most religions can tell us how to mitigate self turmoil. To me that is the ultimate goal and I believe that ‘being in peace always’ is the actual need of everyone. EVERYONE..

cladking

It is not in the EXACT SAME IDENTICAL AREA in all people - which is to say the exact borders are not identical in all people. Just as not all people have the same color of hair on our scalp, yet we have hair on our scalp - not every person has arms of precisely the same length, but we all have arms in the same location, so too do we all have a Broca's area on the inf. frontal gyrus, just not with the exact same 'borders.' Not that hard to grasp, if one actually tries.

Oh, I see! That's kindda like not everyone's arm has to end at the hand. Curiously enough one of the "gods" of Egypt was said to have hands but no arms (like a thalidomide baby). He also had legs but no feet so who's to say where his legs ended.

My understanding is the natural speech center (wernicks'e area) does have the same "borders" from one individual to the next (and it is at least partially bifurcated).

There's more than one way to skin a cat and there are an "infinite" number of perspectives and ways to process what is known. We are just in the habit of seeing things in about the same way as we learned about them. We used reductionism to see bits and pieces of reality so now we look at the bits and pieces instead of all of it at once. Despite the fact we know the brain isn't a clockwork we use a clockwork science to investigate a clockwork reality. We use an analog language to try to understand a digital reality. We use an analog language in a digital brain.

Mebbe we should think of the broca's area area as the place where the stripped gears meet. :eek:

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
For example, most religions will take nature to be ultimately inscrutable.
Well, no. That is not true at all. Especially the Abrahamic religions. The OT clearly spells out how nature began.

But most religions can tell us how to mitigate self turmoil.
Other than, "meditate", can you give some concrete examples.

I believe that ‘being in peace always’ is the actual need of everyone.
That is your belief. Others have other beliefs.

tas8831

The goal and methods of religion are different. For example, most religions will take nature to be ultimately inscrutable. But most religions can tell us how to mitigate self turmoil. To me that is the ultimate goal and I believe that ‘being in peace always’ is the actual need of everyone. EVERYONE..
Ah, so science cannot address what you, personally, consider most important.
I do not consider that the most important, so your implied denigration of science is immaterial.

atanu

Premium Member
Ah, so science cannot address what you, personally, consider most important.
I do not consider that the most important, so your implied denigration of science is immaterial.

Not correct. Science helps me in my religiosity and spirituality too, because I know their scopes.

Can you, on the other hand, clarify as to what is your ultimate aim, if not attainment of peace and happiness?

gnostic

The Lost One
Not correct. Science helps me in my religiosity and spirituality too, because I know their scopes.

Can you, on the other hand, clarify as to what is your ultimate aim, if not attainment of peace and happiness?

Happiness and peace is a matter of state of contentment.

Science can only provide verifiable information about the natural or physical world.

It has nothing to do with any one person's happiness, desire.

They are two things that don't necessary go together.

tas8831

- not every person has arms of precisely the same length,
Oh, I see! That's kindda like not everyone's arm has to end at the hand.
:facepalm:
One really has to try to be as obtuse and annoyingly silly as you are on a regular basis.
My understanding is the natural speech center (wernicks'e area)
Your understanding, as is the norm, is that of a child.

"Natural speech area"? More fabricated concepts/terminology to substitute for your clear ignorance of the subject - so special. Wernicke's is NOT 'the speech area.' It is referred to as the general interpretive area.
Golly - even your Wernicke's wiki link that you provided to try to rescue your exposed ignorance yet again cuts your legs out from under you:

" It is involved in the comprehension of written and spoken language (in contrast to Broca's area that is involved in the production of language). "​

Do you EVER get tired of making a fool of yourself?

does have the same "borders" from one individual to the next (and it is at least partially bifurcated).
LOL!

Amazing - the lengths you will go to to try to rescue your erroneous notions. Again, YOUR OWN link:

Neuroimaging
suggests the functions earlier attributed to Wernicke's area occur more broadly in the temporal lobe and indeed happen also in Broca's area.

“ There are some suggestions that middle and inferior temporal gyri and basal temporal cortex reflect lexical processing ... there is consensus that the STG from rostral to caudal fields and the STS constitute the neural tissue in which many of the critical computations for speech recognition are executed ... aspects of Broca’s area (Brodmann areas 44 and 45) are also regularly implicated in speech processing.
... the range of areas implicated in speech processing go well beyond the classical language areas typically mentioned for speech; the vast majority of textbooks still state that this aspect of perception and language processing occurs in Wernicke’s area (the posterior third of the STG).[12]
Support for a broad range of speech processing areas was furthered by a recent study caried out at the University of Rochester in which American Sign Language native speakers were subject to MRI while interpreting sentences that identified a relationship using either syntax (relationship is determined by the word order) or inflection (relationship is determined by physical motion of "moving hands through space or signing on one side of the body"). Distinct areas of the brain were activated with the frontal cortex (associated with ability to put information into sequences) being more active in the syntax condition and the temporal lobes (associated with dividing information into its constituent parts) being more active in the inflection condition. However, these areas are not mutually exclusive and show a large amount of overlap. These findings imply that while speech processing is a very complex process, the brain may be using fairly basic, preexisting computational methods.[13]

Curious - do you ever read the entirety of ANYTHING you link to in your own "support"? Given that such is a rarity (you trying to provide external support for your false and dopey claims), I should think that you should have plenty of time to do so.

Bifurcate:
bi·fur·cate
verb
past tense: bifurcated; past participle: bifurcated
/ˈbīfərˌkāt/
  1. divide into two branches or forks.
    "just below Cairo the river bifurcates"
So, I will not hold my breath waiting for you to provide evidence that Wernicke's is now "is at least partially bifurcated" as opposed to your previous most-certain and frequently asserted (with no support, of course) position that there is a (unnamed) bifurcated speech center in the' middle of the brain'.

Because Wernicke's is also not in the middle of the brain.

Keep in mind that when I say your biology claims are like those of a child I am not being dismissive or insulting - I am drawing conclusions. The level of knowledge you exhibit on these issues - the incorrect spellings, the off-the-wall depictions and descriptions of location and function, the certainty with which you present totally incorrect claims, your refusal to admit error, etc. - reminds of the way a child acts.
There's more than one way to skin a cat and there are an "infinite" number of perspectives and ways to process what is known.

Maybe - but at some point these different ways of processing should converge on the same 'truths' to be considered valid and useful. Your way seems to rely on farcical and fantastical notions that run counter to even basic information, all pointing to a counterfactual and indefensible position.
We are just in the habit of seeing things in about the same way as we learned about them. We used reductionism to see bits and pieces of reality so now we look at the bits and pieces instead of all of it at once.
And if you are implying that your way is to look at something all at once, I submit that you may want to reassess the reliability and utility of that child-like antic.
Despite the fact we know the brain isn't a clockwork we use a clockwork science to investigate a clockwork reality.
Your way tells us things that your own Wiki links debunk. I think you should try a new, valid way of looking at things.
We use an analog language to try to understand a digital reality. We use an analog language in a digital brain.

Mebbe we should think of the broca's area area as the place where the stripped gears meet. :eek:

Or maybe we should be humble in areas that our sole source of knowledge in are only a few misinterpreted Wiki pages and a vivid imagination, and go with what hundreds of educated, experienced, and dedicated researchers in the specific fields in question have discovered after decades of work? As opposed to the lofty, made-up, foundationless and counterfactual notions of someone that has claimed that behavior via bottlenecks drives evolution, and done so for years, and upon being asked to provide evidence for this, then denies he even suggested such a thing such a thing, and upon having mutliple examples of his suggestions and claims of exactly that presented, just ignores it all (IOW, either a liar or someone with memory and cognitive issues)...?

And even more indicative of an adult-thinking person with some humility and legitimate zeal for true knowledge, would be NOT simply omitting all reality-bombs in posts we reply to, regardless of the mental anguish it may cause - like you did in this response, the only part you replied to in black, what you omitted in red:

cladking:Why do I keep reading this same sort of thing in the literature and you keep gainsaying it?

Huh...

Which is dumb.

Last edited: