• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science can not FULLY explain moods and feelings...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In a word, NetDoc: Neuroscience. The field of neuroscience is relatively a new one, but what's been happening in it is revolutionary. One of its discoveries is that moods and emotions are caused by neurochemicals, neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, PEA, and so forth. "The Molecules of Emotion" is a good book to begin with.

Personally, I have a gripe with neuroscience. They name our neurotransmitters such unpoetic names as Oxytocin. What kind of name is that for a substance that causes those warm and fuzzy feelings we have when thinking of a loved one? It's an outrage that poets are not involved in the naming of such important substances as our neurochemicals!

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Actually,

They only quantify how our bodies synthesize the chemicals... not how the trigger mechanism actually causes our body to do that. They got the "how", but not the "why".

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
NetDoc said:
Actually,

They only quantify how our bodies synthesize the chemicals... not how the trigger mechanism actually causes our body to do that. They got the "how", but not the "why".
That's true, NetDoc. For instance: We know as a scientific fact that Spinkles and Ceridwen's bodies release a lot of the neurotransmitter PEA whenever the two see each other. PEA makes them elated and even giggly. But that doesn't explain why Spinkles and Ceridwen's bodies release PEA when they see each other, and not release it when they see -- say -- George Bush.

To understand why certain people "turn us on" and not others is still something of a mystery, isn't it?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Genetic predisposition to like certain features would cause that. Coded in our genes, whether we like skinny or plump, round or blocky, muscular or non-muscular, tall or short, male or female, etc.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you believe that science has the potential to explain all aspects of attraction, Druidus?

Yerda

Veteran Member
NetDoc said:
please prove me wrong! (I double dog dare you!)

I cannot, and I doubt anyone can. Science can fully explain few things when you get right down to it.

In saying that, biochemistry is relatively young and still significantly advanced.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Druidus said:
Genetic predisposition to like certain features would cause that. Coded in our genes, whether we like skinny or plump, round or blocky, muscular or non-muscular, tall or short, male or female, etc.
I don't know about that...I've never been attracted to blondes before, but Maize is blonde. :p

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Perhaps another aspect of Maize's character has attracted you?

I do believe that science can explain all attractions, but only because I believe science could explain everything, even God/s, given time and ability. However, I doubt we could now. i also believe that there are mysterious, mercurial, forces at work in love as well.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Druidus said:
Perhaps another aspect of Maize's character has attracted you?
I'm not going to argue that...but why would hair colour be any different from any of the other possible 'genetically coded' characteristic preferences you listed? I've been attracted to people of different shapes and sizes, there's not really been a constant that I can put my finger on, thinking about it. That's an awful lot of variables to try to find 'programmed' into someone - especially since scientists are having enough trouble pinpointing what causes plain old sexual orientation.

Druidus said:
I do believe that science can explain all attractions, but only because I believe science could explain everything, even God/s, given time and ability. However, I doubt we could now. i also believe that there are mysterious, mercurial, forces at work in love as well.
You have a stronger faith in science than I. :p

Pah

Uber all member
Are we talking about a specific individual or in general?

Since emotion is a learned behavior and the influences in learning are numerous and intermingled in varying proportions, personal explanation is from infinite causes. A definite "Yes" at this point to thew question..

Can all of the causes be identified in general? Perhaps!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
"FULLY" is a silly trap. Science always provides explanations that are approximate and tentative. But, can science "explain moods and feelings"? Of course it can.

Pah

Uber all member
NetDoc said:
Is it now? Funny how them thar babies learn so darn quick.
Ah, but so rudimentary and limitied. Aspects of love are not fully learned until adulthood, for example. Sadness is wholly selfishness at birth and growth provides distinction