• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science as a religion

serioja7

I think there is part of Science that you can call religion. The reason I am saying that is because the believe that some things happened because and the science state the reason. So if the believe -- that is already related to religion. What do you guys think.

Bogg

I would disagree only on the basis that science looks at all kinds of and types of scenarios and tries to discover how it all works. It doesn't follow a set of values and beliefs and follow them blindly as religion does.
Science doesn't worship anything.

outhouse

Atheistically
I think there is part of Science that you can call religion. The reason I am saying that is because the believe that some things happened because and the science state the reason. So if the believe -- that is already related to religion. What do you guys think.

hey Neighbor [auburn]

No part of science is worshipped at all, and thus, not in any way shape or form a religion of any kind.

science is only a method of study

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
It is true that we take most of what scientists tell us as truth, because we can see real evidence of its "miracles" every day. That isn't true of conventional religious faith, which does not come with a set of demonstrable miracles. What makes science not a religion in the end is what Outhouse said. Science is really a methodology for selecting the best of competing testable hypotheses. If you care to look for evidence of scientific claims, you will always find it spelled out in clear and verifiable detail. Faith grounded in verifiable experience is not religious faith. It is the mundane kind of faith that we could not get through life without.

shawn001

So we sure worship the weather channel and weather satellites?

shawn001

Is Science a Religion?

by Richard Dawkins

"Given the dangers of faith — and considering the accomplishments of reason and observation in the activity called science — I find it ironic that, whenever I lecture publicly, there always seems to be someone who comes forward and says, "Of course, your science is just a religion like ours. Fundamentally, science just comes down to faith, doesn't it?" Well, science is not religion and it doesn't just come down to faith. Although it has many of religion's virtues, it has none of its vices. Science is based upon verifiable evidence.
Richard Dawkins: Is Science A Religion?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on how you define religion. With how I tend to define it, it is definitely a religion (or, at the very least, religious). Religion, at it's core, is about answering the questions of life; it's about the pursuit of truth, meaning, and purpose. The specific answers any particular religion comes to will vary, and they may or may not involve a god-concept, dogmatic structure, ritual, etc.

gnomon

Defining religion to merely mean belief will stunt one's understanding of religious culture. There is absolutely no reason to equate any belief as being religious and drawing parallels to believing team A will win the championship, believing that the color green is awesome or believing that science is religion to that of a set of doctrine regarding a supernatural agent in cosmology or set of morals inherit to a culture that need to be passed on in traditions.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Except that you are mixing up science with what SOME people do/think/say/believe/think science is.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Of course science is a religion. That's why you see temples to science on nearly every city block.
I don't even see temples on every block.
Or even churches.

What i do see on every block is a chinese buffet....

Call_of_the_Wild

Science is a religion depending on how it is used. Macroevolution is a good example of "religious science" lol. It is relying on the unseen and unproven, the exact thing that theists are accused of doing.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Science is a religion depending on how it is used. Macroevolution is a good example of "religious science" lol. It is relying on the unseen and unproven, the exact thing that theists are accused of doing.
Accused of doing?
Seriously?

just like the creationists who think that because one has not seen evolution happening it cannot happen?
How does that same logic apply to god creating life?

Oh wait, it doesn't...:rolleyes: