• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science and Religion

willmyster

I believe science and religion should arrive at the same conclusion about life's origin.

Science teaches us that all living things are a product of the Earth. Why? Well every living things contains within it all the elements in the Earth. Thus, you can directly link the origin of life to the Earth. It's common sense more than it is science.

The primitive religions all tell about life coming from Earth, including Judasim and Christianity. What? Yes, that's right. It's in the Bible. Yet, religious leaders distort the truth. Genesis 1:24 "And God said, Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so." Gen 2:7 "Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."

Websters Dictionary refers to God as the creator. Certainly the creator is Earth. Thus Earth is also our God. Why is that so difficult to believe? Earth is beautiful. Nothing compares to it, not even any other planet in the Universe. It gives oxygen, beutiful trees, oceans, lakes, rivers, mountains, snow, seasons. In spite of the beauty that surrounds us, in spite of the common sense and scientific evidence, religious leaders tell us that God is an alien who came down to Earth, snapped his fingers and created everything. Bologna!

I'd rather believe that it took several billion years to create me as perfect as I am than to believe it happened by majic. We should love our Earth, take care of it, and make sure it continues to live on for future generations. We should worship Earth. That is exactly what Native Americans did, until the Europeans decided to convert them.

For me Earth is my God, and not a single scientist or religious leader can dispute it. That's correct scientist won't dispute the fact that we were created from the Earth. :yes:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I believe science and religion should arrive at the same conclusion about life's origin.

Science teaches us that all living things are a product of the Earth. Why? Well every living things contains within it all the elements in the Earth. Thus, you can directly link the origin of life to the Earth. It's common sense more than it is science.

The primitive religions all tell about life coming from Earth, including Judasim and Christianity. What? Yes, that's right. It's in the Bible. Yet, religious leaders distort the truth. Genesis 1:24 "And God said, Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so." Gen 2:7 "Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."

Websters Dictionary refers to God as the creator. Certainly the creator is Earth. Thus Earth is also our God. Why is that so difficult to believe? Earth is beautiful. Nothing compares to it, not even any other planet in the Universe. It gives oxygen, beutiful trees, oceans, lakes, rivers, mountains, snow, seasons. In spite of the beauty that surrounds us, in spite of the common sense and scientific evidence, religious leaders tell us that God is an alien who came down to Earth, snapped his fingers and created everything. Bologna!

I'd rather believe that it took several billion years to create me as perfect as I am than to believe it happened by majic. We should love our Earth, take care of it, and make sure it continues to live on for future generations. We should worship Earth. That is exactly what Native Americans did, until the Europeans decided to convert them.

For me Earth is my God, and not a single scientist or religious leader can dispute it. That's correct scientist won't dispute the fact that we were created from the Earth. :yes:
What about Genesis 1:26-27 which contains God creating human, but not out of the earth? Why did you ignore that one? I think it is because you have to ignore quite a bit to come to the conclusion that you do.

Human life didn't just sprout here. Many scientists believe that it arrived on earth from a comet or the like. Really though, we just don't know.

Also, one can believe in the Abrahamic god, or any other god that isn't the Earth, and still love the Earth. Science and religion do not, and really should not, be the same. They are different, they have different purposes, and really, can coexist peacefully.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
...and not a single scientist or religious leader can dispute it.

Closing your mind to other possibilities isn't usually a very good idea, if you were to ask me.

As for life forming on Earth, research suggests that abiogenesis didn't occur in an environment anything like clay, dirt, or dust. I think it takes a lot of equivocation and thought gymnastics to get any religious accounts to match up with scientific research regarding the origin of life on this planet.

shawn001

What about Genesis 1:26-27 which contains God creating human, but not out of the earth? Why did you ignore that one? I think it is because you have to ignore quite a bit to come to the conclusion that you do.

Human life didn't just sprout here. Many scientists believe that it arrived on earth from a comet or the like. Really though, we just don't know.

Also, one can believe in the Abrahamic god, or any other god that isn't the Earth, and still love the Earth. Science and religion do not, and really should not, be the same. They are different, they have different purposes, and really, can coexist peacefully.

Interesting you brought up Genesis 1:26-27

"Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness"

Let US?

OUR Image?

Our likeness?

Is there only one god speaking here?

shawn001

All the heavy elements came from super nova star explosions billions of years ago, like carbon your made from.

So you, our sun and all the planets in our solar system are all made from recycled star dust.

"Earth is beautiful. Nothing compares to it, not even any other planet in the Universe"

I agree earth is very beautiful, but how can you say the above without going anywhere else? This is a bias because you live on Earth perhaps.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Interesting you brought up Genesis 1:26-27

"Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness"

Let US?

OUR Image?

Our likeness?

Is there only one god speaking here?
Yes, only God speaking here. He is probably addressing the divine council.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Probably?

So the "divine council" all look like men or gods?

God looks like a human?
If humans are created in their images, and we take that story as historical (which it isn't), then they would look like humans and God, as they are supposed to look the same.

I really don't see what you're getting at though.

Wakeup

Reject Superstition

Well it depends which religion. I shouldn't say all religions contradict science without knowing all religious beliefs. However, if you believe a virgin can have birth without an ovum being fertilized there is a contradiction with natural law. Also, creating something out of nothing, curing the blind by touching, raising the dead, or turning someone into a pillar of salt for looking back all contradict science. I know a lot of Christians reject much of the superstition in the bible, but as far as I know the virgin birth is a pretty fundamental part of Christianity.

Last edited:

shawn001

If humans are created in their images, and we take that story as historical (which it isn't), then they would look like humans and God, as they are supposed to look the same.

I really don't see what you're getting at though.

So you don't believe that god made man in his image then, because you don't believe the story is historical ?

Humans look they way they do because they evolved that way? But a god or gods?

If I was a god, I wouldn't use a human body personally.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion and science are entirely incompatible.

Cute. Apparently I exist in a state of self-incompatibility then. Does that mean I explode or something?

Also, with regard to your response later... let's remember to not conflate mythos with logos. Folks need to quit taking mythos as logos. The supposed incompatibilities evaporate as soon as you do so in most cases, yes?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Erm, but human life didn't come from dust or earth. The Bible is clearly wrong.

Websters Dictionary refers to God as the creator. Certainly the creator is Earth. Thus Earth is also our God.
And if I redefine "God" to mean "mug of tea" then I have a hot handful of God right now.

Why is that so difficult to believe? Earth is beautiful. Nothing compares to it, not even any other planet in the Universe. It gives oxygen, beutiful trees, oceans, lakes, rivers, mountains, snow, seasons. In spite of the beauty that surrounds us, in spite of the common sense and scientific evidence, religious leaders tell us that God is an alien who came down to Earth, snapped his fingers and created everything. Bologna!
Your argument is fine except for one thing: we already understand the earth and have a good definition for it. Referring to the earth as "God" does nothing to increase our understanding of either. It's completely arbitrary.

Shouldn't space be your God, then, since that's where earth came from? Or the physical laws of the Universe? Or the hypothetical quantum event that caused the big bang?

Look, I honestly have no problem with people admiring or revering earth and nature. Earth certainly deserves more love from people than a nonexistent God. But what you're doing is nothing but adding another arbitrary title to something that is almost entirely unrelated to the topic of the existence or nonexistence of God, and even less to do with science. It's not profound or meaningful, just kind of pointless.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
So you don't believe that god made man in his image then, because you don't believe the story is historical ?

Humans look they way they do because they evolved that way? But a god or gods?

If I was a god, I wouldn't use a human body personally.
I really don't see what you're getting at.

I am a Christian. I believe in God. I also believe that evolution is a fact, and humans evolved. Religion and science for me can coexist, as for me, they deal with different parts of life.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The question is whether it dates back that far or whether it is merely a convenient lie.

There no attestation to it during that time period in which this source would have been written. So at best, it can only be a possibility, that simply is not supported (as of yet. It could later be shown to be probable).

Wakeup

Reject Superstition
Cute. Apparently I exist in a state of self-incompatibility then. Does that mean I explode or something?

Also, with regard to your response later... let's remember to not conflate mythos with logos. Folks need to quit taking mythos as logos. The supposed incompatibilities evaporate as soon as you do so in most cases, yes?

What are you talking about? I in no way combined mythos with logos. I did the exact opposite.