• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science and logic lovers, I need your help

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I'm not into the engineering of pylons or as to the prevention of trespassers so can't say, but most things like this are climbable it seems to me, knowing the abilities of the best climbers. They need very little to enable them to gain height, and there is plenty here for such, even if it means they have to take up contortionist positions in order to do so.

If the aim is to prevent climbers from getting to the top, then why are you saying that anyone can do it?
I am not including professional climbers.
I am speaking of the everyday man or woman.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
If the aim is to prevent climbers from getting to the top, then why are you saying that anyone can do it?
Anyone with a bit of practice essentially, since climbing is not that difficult, especially when one is limited as to the moves one can make. It is more about fitness and nerve. I suppose the designers of these structures know that it is impossible to protect them fully from determined climbers. I had a quick look on Youtube and even barbed wire is not a deterrent for some. :oops:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I ask if it is possible without gloves.
Being an ex-engineer, I doubt they sharpen the edges of the stays on purpose and usually they are just left as cut. Gloves would no doubt be useful but might not be necessary. I would probably use gloves though - but then I have no reason to climb any of these. :D

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes.
In your opinion, why did they make 45 degrees diagonal bars?
Why not straight bars? Like a staircase, for example.
;)
For strength. If you had horizontal bars, the wind could easily push the top of the column to the left or right, bending it. (If you think of a square, you can easily make it a rhombus by pushing the top sideways.) But with diagonal bars, such a motion would require them to be stretched, (because two diagonally opposite corners of your square become farther apart when you make it a rhombus). So diagonals brace the structure against sideways motion.

difference-between-square-and-rhombus.jpg

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
For strength. If you had horizontal bars, the wind could easily push the top of the column to the left or right, bending it. (If you think of a square, you can easily make it a rhombus by pushing the top sideways.) But with diagonal bars, such a motion would require them to be stretched, (because two diagonally opposite corners of your square become farther apart when you make it a rhombus). So diagonals brace the structure against sideways motion.

difference-between-square-and-rhombus.jpg

Thank you for your insightful support. :)

Nimos

Ok..
We all know that there are so many kinds of electric pylons and transmission towers.
The layout of these indispensable pylons is very, very diverse.

The truth is that they are incredibly different than one another.
To begin with, European pylons are different than the American ones.

Well...I need your help, guys.
I am going to post several pictures of a specific transmission tower.

I am going to describe it. Structure made of four façades, each of them with 45 degrees inclined diagonal bars.

View attachment 57917 View attachment 57918 View attachment 57919

Question
Is it possible to climb this specific pylon to the top?
Or at least, 6 or 8 meters?

I think it is impossible. I tried to climb to the first three diagonal bars...but at the third I was stuck.
I felt like I was being dragged.

What do you guys think?
Please...this is very important.
I would think it is possible, at least I don't see why it shouldn't be?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Bravo.
You cannot do it without gloves.
Most amateur climbers I know own some kind of specialized gear that makes things easier and less painful. Refusing to wear gloves or any other kind of gear seems kind of a weird restriction in the scenario you propose.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Most amateur climbers I know own some kind of specialized gear that makes things easier and less painful. Refusing to wear gloves or any other kind of gear seems kind of a weird restriction in the scenario you propose.

The scenario is not credible, in my opinion.
A woman who was wearing snickers, daisy dukes and with no gloves apparently climbed that tower to the top.
Noon, August, Sicily.
And you can imagine how Sicilian Summer heat turns metals into burning surfaces.

A woman with bare hands and nude legs allegedly climbed that pylon.
Shall I believe that?

exchemist

Veteran Member
The aim is NOT to prevent people climbing to the top, though. It is to brace the structure against bending.

But why are you are so interested in this? I see that an electrician (From near Enna) was electrocuted on a pylon near Messina, today or yesterday. Was he expected to climb the pylon (surely not?), or did he have a platform hoist like the one in your picture?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The aim is NOT to prevent people climbing to the top, though. It is to brace the structure against bending.

But why are you are so interested in this? I see that an electrician (From near Enna) was electrocuted on a pylon near Messina, today or yesterday. Was he expected to climb the pylon (surely not?), or did he have a platform hoist like the one in your picture?

Read post #30 ;):)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I have to add that her hands were perfectly clean and with no trace of metal, nor sign of slight cuts .

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Question
Is it possible to climb this specific pylon to the top?
Or at least, 6 or 8 meters?
dqhkte5ybvndjihepblovh7cvq_0.jpg

I think there is a method to everything. How did Egyptians took stone blocks to the top of pyramids, how did the samoan islanders carried their statues and placed them upright and how did the 80 ton single block was placed at the top of Brihadishwara temple in India?

"Above these storeys is a single square block of granite weight 80 tons, and 7.77 metres (25.5 ft) side. On top of this block, at its corners are Nandi pairs each about 1.98 metres (6 ft 6 in) by 1.68 metres (5 ft 6 in) in dimension. Above the center of this granite block rises the griva, the sikhara and the finial (stupi) of Tamil Hindu temple architecture. This stupi is 3.81 metres (12.5 ft) in height, and was originally covered with gold (no longer). The sikhara at the top is cupola-shaped and weighs 25 tons." Total elevation 217 ft.
Brihadisvara Temple, Thanjavur - Wikipedia

287px-Top_of_Brihadisvara_Temple%2C_Thanjavur.jpg

exchemist

Veteran Member
This thread is about the scientific possibility to climb that pylon with all those conditions.
Well scientifically, yes, absolutely, she could have, if she was motivated enough.

The bars of these pylons are not sharpened. That would be pointless and would make them hard to assemble. They may have some sharp edges from the manufacturing process, but there is no evidence of this from the pictures.

As for temperature, you would need to provide temperature measurements for the metal on similar days, or at least details of cloud conditions on the day. The metal is light in colour and may be quite reflective. As you know, it is matt black surfaces that become hottest in the sun. So I am not convinced that it would have necessarily have been too hot to hold for climbing, especially as you would barely need to pull yourself up by your hands at all, in view of the convenient spacing of the attachment points for your feet. Your hands would be mainly used to steady yourself as you climbed.

I find it a bit strange that you are so reluctant to tell us the details of what is said to have happened. Unless you are on jury service or something, in which case you probably should not be on the internet at all.

I hope the poor girl did not die.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well scientifically, yes, absolutely, she could have, if she was motivated enough.

The bars of these pylons are not sharpened. That would be pointless and would make them hard to assemble. They may have some sharp edges from the manufacturing process, but there is no evidence of this from the pictures.

As for temperature, you would need to provide temperature measurements for the metal on similar days, or at least details of cloud conditions on the day. The metal is light in colour and may be quite reflective. As you know, it is matt black surfaces that become hottest in the sun. So I am not convinced that it would have necessarily have been too hot to hold for climbing, especially as you would barely need to pull yourself up by your hands at all, in view of the convenient spacing of the attachment points for your feet. Your hands would be mainly used to steady yourself as you climbed.

I find it a bit strange that you are so reluctant to tell us the details of what is said to have happened. Unless you are on jury service or something, in which case you probably should not be on the internet at all.

I hope the poor girl did not die.

38 degrees Celsius that day.
No clouds.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
One possible explanation is that it receives radio waves, doesn't only transmit. You may be feeling an alternating current which changes in frequency and energy as you climb.

Any current you might feel could be due to a short, a ground or a failure to ground. If your body is experiencing alternating current, then this can interfere with your motor reflexes. It could, indeed, feel like it was easier to go down than up. Check with a radio engineer, and don't post my idea as fact. It isn't fact. It is a guess.

I am not a scientist or a ham. What I know is that the air is full of radio towers, as you say; so this one is going to be a receiver not only a transmitter.

***also***
Even if you are wearing insulating gear, your body could be experiencing reversing magnetic fields from the tower. This can create an alternating current in your body. My guess is that this tower is doing that.

One thing you could do is use one of those clip on multimeters to see if there is current in the tower structure, or you might be able to measure current in some other way.