• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science and consciousness

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
What if the universe is self-aware? Is there a cosmic superconsciousness? Could it be a giant brain? Is the universe a conscious mind? There is a short but lazy answer, and there is longer but more intriguing answer. The lazy answer is: We humans are made of pieces of the universe. We are conscious, so the universe is conscious through us.

I thought this was interesting in looking at consciousness from a brain neurological perspective, philosophical, and insightful: universal consciousness.

I agree with the video, basically. Yes, you can indulge in a lot of speculation but there is absolutely no evidence that the universe as a whole is conscious.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How would you define individual consciousness apart from universal consciousness in order for the former to tap into the latter?
I think it's less a problem of definition than a question of physics.
I have no idea how consciousness works, or even what it is, exactly.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Universe need NOT to be self-aware of itself because there's NO greater universe in which this smaller universe is residing in to be aware of. Universe is just the one -- and only ONE.
In terms of 'our physical existence' including all possible universes yes there is likely only one.

wellwisher

What if the universe is self-aware? Is there a cosmic superconsciousness? Could it be a giant brain? Is the universe a conscious mind? There is a short but lazy answer, and there is longer but more intriguing answer. The lazy answer is: We humans are made of pieces of the universe. We are conscious, so the universe is conscious through us.

I thought this was interesting in looking at consciousness from a brain neurological perspective, philosophical, and insightful: universal consciousness.

There is a way to address this with science. According to the second law of thermodynamics, the entropy of the universe has to increase. While an increase in entropy will absorb energy.

If you can read the seams on a fastball, the above implies that the universe is losing energy, into entropy, as time goes on. This second law energy is conserved, due to energy conservation, but it is not net reusable by the inertial universe, since it forever becomes tied up as ever increasing entropy. There is a pool of dead energy that is accumulating, that was once part of the inertial universe, but which is now not net reusable by the inertial universe since it is tied up as increasing entropy.

Entropy is considered a state variable, meaning for any given state of matter, such as a liter of water at 25C and 1 atmosphere, it has a fixed amount of entropy, which can be measured. In that respect, entropy is like a memory of a given fixed state of matter. Therefore, dead pool energy should be composed of memories of state and change and increasing complexity.

In terms of dead pool energy and universal consciousness, dead pool energy, tied up as entropy, which cannot be net reused by the inertial universe, is in the form of lingering memories of previous states, which continue to influence the present universe via energy conservation and time.

For example, the Big Bang event, is inferred from the current observations of the movement of the universal matter and energy, This appears to originate from an event that happened long ago, which is still providing the inertia of change. We cannot use the energy in any net way but it is exists via energy conservation, as lingering memories within the dead pool energy.

Universal consciousness is connected to dead pool energy, evolving under it's own laws, but not directly connected to inertial laws. Dead pool energy leads the present from the past. It is part of the universe but in a different place in time. God brooded over the deep. That action leads to the future with those memories of the past continuing to linger in time.

I have discussed dead pool energy on science forums, but there is usually silence, since it creates conceptual problems for all current consensus theories of the universe. They all leave it out and therefore violate entropy and energy conservation.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Plants have no brain, and yet are able to track the sun across the sky, and move their 'bodies' to more effectively absorb it's energy. Celestial bodies all locked in a dance with each other through the pull of gravity and the bending of space. It could be considered a form of communication, as it tells them all where each other are, what way they are moving. And in some cases it even alters their internal conditions. I think that once we let go of the idea that awareness has to be "like ours", the possibilities expand considerably.

Would you say the laws of physics is the foundation of consciousness of the universe?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Universe need NOT to be self-aware of itself because there's NO greater universe in which this smaller universe is residing in to be aware of. Universe is just the one -- and only ONE.

And.. the term "Aware" has NO meanings, or cease to exist when there's non-duality. :)

I'm confused. Universe awareness isn't awareness because it assumes duality?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I agree with the video, basically. Yes, you can indulge in a lot of speculation but there is absolutely no evidence that the universe as a whole is conscious.

No evidence just means we haven't concluded there was or does no evidence mean conclude or confirm there is no consciousness of the universe?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There is a way to address this with science. According to the second law of thermodynamics, the entropy of the universe has to increase. While an increase in entropy will absorb energy.

If you can read the seams on a fastball, the above implies that the universe is losing energy, into entropy, as time goes on. This second law energy is conserved, due to energy conservation, but it is not net reusable by the inertial universe, since it forever becomes tied up as ever increasing entropy. There is a pool of dead energy that is accumulating, that was once part of the inertial universe, but which is now not net reusable by the inertial universe since it is tied up as increasing entropy.

Entropy is considered a state variable, meaning for any given state of matter, such as a liter of water at 25C and 1 atmosphere, it has a fixed amount of entropy, which can be measured. In that respect, entropy is like a memory of a given fixed state of matter. Therefore, dead pool energy should be composed of memories of state and change and increasing complexity.

In terms of dead pool energy and universal consciousness, dead pool energy, tied up as entropy, which cannot be net reused by the inertial universe, is in the form of lingering memories of previous states, which continue to influence the present universe via energy conservation and time.

For example, the Big Bang event, is inferred from the current observations of the movement of the universal matter and energy, This appears to originate from an event that happened long ago, which is still providing the inertia of change. We cannot use the energy in any net way but it is exists via energy conservation, as lingering memories within the dead pool energy.

Universal consciousness is connected to dead pool energy, evolving under it's own laws, but not directly connected to inertial laws. Dead pool energy leads the present from the past. It is part of the universe but in a different place in time. God brooded over the deep. That action leads to the future with those memories of the past continuing to linger in time.

I have discussed dead pool energy on science forums, but there is usually silence, since it creates conceptual problems for all current consensus theories of the universe. They all leave it out and therefore violate entropy and energy conservation.

I'm afraid you loss me. Do you have an analogy I can go by?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I recon spiders were taught by a greater intelligence about how to live and to build webs.

What is a greater intelligence?

In universal consciousness, the idea is that everything is self-ware of "itself." It can't teach something else.... maybe itself?

What do you mean by teach?

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

It's also interesting from the physics approach, through Quantum Mechanics.

If the brain works on quantum mechanics, then...well, so does the rest of matter... ergo, if consciousness is a QM phenomena, then where's the line, exactly?
e.g. https://www.quantamagazine.org/a-theory-of-reality-as-more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts-20170601/
https://www.quantamagazine.org/a-new-spin-on-the-quantum-brain-20161102/

halbhh

Having mentioned the physics speculations above, it's the most fun to just think about the universe as conscious. This idea takes many forms. A good friend of many years back (he passed a while back), thought of all people as connected together in consciousness, and his idea was even involving some physical side of humans, such as sound, including his speculative idea of a "universal sound key", which I think he meant by that a kind of sound that all people instinctively understand, or a set of sounds, or more than just a set, more like an innate more fundamental language perhaps.

I think that the idea of the universe as conscious is a form of the perennial philosophy (in a more broad sense), that 'all things are one' or 'all things lead to God'. Many believers in God think of God as more than only like an isolated individual, but instead as more....everywhere. As the 'source' or 'ground of being'.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure

At the initial BB I think the most important question is how did the universe achieve low entropy?

If everything can only flow one way toward an increase in entropy that makes the universe a one way street?

So eventually we will reach a dead end situation. So before the BB event how high are the energies?

Are scientists so sure that our laws of physics are bedrock reality, and eternally fundamental? Or are they a mere stage of reality in a bigger existential game?

A game where consciousness thrives and never loses its ability to function.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Having mentioned the physics speculations above, it's the most fun to just think about the universe as conscious. This idea takes many forms. A good friend of many years back (he passed a while back), thought of all people as connected together in consciousness, and his idea was even involving some physical side of humans, such as sound, including his speculative idea of a "universal sound key", which I think he meant by that a kind of sound that all people instinctively understand, or a set of sounds, or more than just a set, more like an innate more fundamental language perhaps.

I think that the idea of the universe as conscious is a form of the perennial philosophy (in a more broad sense), that 'all things are one' or 'all things lead to God'. Many believers in God think of God as more than only like an isolated individual, but instead as more....everywhere. As the 'source' or 'ground of being'.

Hmm. Sound idea is interesting. Did he mean a sound that represents universal consciousness or connectiveness?

halbhh

Hmm. Sound idea is interesting. Did he mean a sound that represents universal consciousness or connectiveness?
That's a good question. :) The wonderful thing about talking with John (my friend) was that this idea seemed to be alive, moving, changing, each time he mentioned it and I asked questions or gave my thought. It changed over time. He definitely believed we are all connected in some way that transcended ordinary communication. He would even (though not saying he believed) pray for people in a way: he'd 'send' them help through a kind of prayer where he'd focus on them, the nature of which was never really clear, but it was ongoing over the years. I suppose it was prayer.

ecco

Veteran Member
Yes, the universe has consciousness.
No, we can not tap into it any more than a tulip or a slug can tap into our consciousness.

All stars are self-aware from the time of their birth to somewhat beyond their death. Stars communicate with one another through the use of photons and quantum entangled photons. Early on in their lives, stars communicate primarily with other stars in their galaxy. As they age, they learn to utilize the capabilities of the entangled photons to communicate instantaneously with other stars anywhere in the universe.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes, the universe has consciousness.
No, we can not tap into it any more than a tulip or a slug can tap into our consciousness.

All stars are self-aware from the time of their birth to somewhat beyond their death. Stars communicate with one another through the use of photons and quantum entangled photons. Early on in their lives, stars communicate primarily with other stars in their galaxy. As they age, they learn to utilize the capabilities of the entangled photons to communicate instantaneously with other stars anywhere in the universe.
. . . and gravity.