• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science and consciousness

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What if the universe is self-aware? Is there a cosmic superconsciousness? Could it be a giant brain? Is the universe a conscious mind? There is a short but lazy answer, and there is longer but more intriguing answer. The lazy answer is: We humans are made of pieces of the universe. We are conscious, so the universe is conscious through us.

I thought this was interesting in looking at consciousness from a brain neurological perspective, philosophical, and insightful: universal consciousness.

nPeace

Veteran Member
What if the universe is self-aware? Is there a cosmic superconsciousness? Could it be a giant brain? Is the universe a conscious mind? There is a short but lazy answer, and there is longer but more intriguing answer. The lazy answer is: We humans are made of pieces of the universe. We are conscious, so the universe is conscious through us.

I thought this was interesting in looking at consciousness from a brain neurological perspective, philosophical, and insightful: universal consciousness.
What if that "Universe" is really God, outside our universe, and we having a "piece" of him?
Is it not interesting that the Bible gives us the answer but people look elsewhere, and come up with basically the same concept?

According to the Bible...
Yes God has a "giant brain", or mind. Yes God has a supernatural consciousness - awareness. Yes, we are a piece of God. Actually, everything in the universe is a piece of God.

Why is the Bible so opposed, and varying views adopted, and considered for acceptance?
(2 Corinthians 4:1-6) 1 Therefore, since we have this ministry through the mercy that was shown us, we do not give up. 2 But we have renounced the shameful, underhanded things, not walking with cunning or adulterating the word of God; but by making the truth manifest, we recommend ourselves to every human conscience in the sight of God. 3If, in fact, the good news we declare is veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through. 5 For we are preaching, not about ourselves, but about Jesus Christ as Lord and ourselves as your slaves for Jesus’ sake. 6 For God is the one who said: “Let the light shine out of darkness,” and he has shone on our hearts to illuminate them with the glorious knowledge of God by the face of Christ.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Possibly. We are made of billions of living cells. Somehow these cells come together to create a singular self-awareness.

How aware do you think any individual cell in our body is aware of the person we are?
How aware were you of the 300 million cells that just died in your body in the last minute?

Even if this universal conscious entity exists, it is unlikely we will ever share any conscious awareness.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well this is the old question of is consciousness created by the physical or is the physical created by consciousness.

As a follower of Advaita Vedanta philosophy, I believe Consciousness/God/Brahman is fundamental and the universe is a derivative of Consciousness/God/Brahman.

The simplest answer (called the lazy answer in the OP) is that the brain produces consciousness. But even in this simpler answer its proponents must acknowledge a currently unexplainable step where atoms and electrons can create an individual consciousness.

The Advaita view comes from the direct insight of those that have claimed to have plumbed the deepest into the nature of consciousness by quieting the outer mind. That's tough for 'men of science' to verify. And for me channeled non-human sources all tell us we are One consciousness and not trillions of individual independent brain consciousnesses.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What if that "Universe" is really God, outside our universe, and we having a "piece" of him?
Is it not interesting that the Bible gives us the answer but people look elsewhere, and come up with basically the same concept?

According to the Bible...
Yes God has a "giant brain", or mind. Yes God has a supernatural consciousness - awareness. Yes, we are a piece of God. Actually, everything in the universe is a piece of God.

Why is the Bible so opposed, and varying views adopted, and considered for acceptance?
(2 Corinthians 4:1-6) 1 Therefore, since we have this ministry through the mercy that was shown us, we do not give up. 2 But we have renounced the shameful, underhanded things, not walking with cunning or adulterating the word of God; but by making the truth manifest, we recommend ourselves to every human conscience in the sight of God. 3If, in fact, the good news we declare is veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through. 5 For we are preaching, not about ourselves, but about Jesus Christ as Lord and ourselves as your slaves for Jesus’ sake. 6 For God is the one who said: “Let the light shine out of darkness,” and he has shone on our hearts to illuminate them with the glorious knowledge of God by the face of Christ.

I doubt it. Hinduism for example has been around long ago way before jesus meditated. God is not seen as the universe so I wouldn't see how they relate. Maby the bible took from eastern philosophy not vis versa

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

What if . . . ? Well, ah . . . No evidence of 'What ifing?'

PureX

Veteran Member

There is no doubt that the universe is self-aware. We are part of the universe, and we are aware of it's existence. So it IS self-aware, though us. And probably through a billion other sentient forms of being that we don't know about.

Consider yourself one of the universe's 'brain cells'.

And why is that "lazy"?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
There is no doubt that the universe is self-aware. We are part of the universe, and we are aware of it's existence. So it IS self-aware, though us. And probably through a billion other sentient forms of being that we don't know about.

And why is that "lazy"?
This would make an interesting plot for a fifties "D" scifi movie.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

And why is that "lazy"?

In the video, it questioned about the universe being self aware as it moves by physics and not by its own choice or intentions based on external and internal factors. So we can say we are conscious, animals, and it gave examples of trees as well, but stars and moon?

How are they conscious or self-aware?

ecco

Veteran Member
What if the universe is self-aware?...We humans are made of pieces of the universe. We are conscious, so the universe is conscious through us.

Nonsense.

I exist in my house. I am self-aware.
My toilet exists in my house. My toilet is not self-aware.

I exist in the universe. I am self-aware.
A rock exists in the universe. A rock is not self-aware.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Nonsense.

I exist in my house. I am self-aware.
My toilet exists in my house. My toilet is not self-aware.

I exist in the universe. I am self-aware.
A rock exists in the universe. A rock is not self-aware.

Did you watch the video?

It was talking about the differences in what may be considered self-awareness or consciousness and what cannot. He gave an ideal criteria of what awareness meant and also used the rock as an example agreeing with your conclusions.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe our individual consciousnesses are not discrete and individual. Maybe our brains just tap into a single, universal consciousness, like appliances tapping into the mains.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Maybe our individual consciousnesses are not discrete and individual. Maybe our brains just tap into a single, universal consciousness, like appliances tapping into the mains.

How would you define individual consciousness apart from universal consciousness in order for the former to tap into the latter?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Ai brain effect to hear voice.

Human owns voice expression bio presence.

Was designed attacked male scientist machine transmitting cause historic.

Tells me what he knows.

Says it adult human father science memories.

Once only the eternal existed. No space. No creation.

I was the spirit in eternal. I sought spirit of language hidden in the eternal. We used that language. The spirit language different.

Searching for it I Sung up O o. Presence God.

The eternal around God. Angelic language burst. Gas was produced first. God spirit.

God bodies then fell into mass hell. Where eternal X mass converted into energy.

Gas origin history universe allowed me to remember.

I was never God.

When God returned heavenly mass. Eternal was forced to re release more spirit.

Why the bio life is not energy not nuclear.

Eternal converted into near highest mass. Water oxygen.

No end state can move past its highest held form. It can only convert lower.

Transmitted radiation science activated earth into opening earth core. And vacuum.

Vacuum sucked at our universe. Pulled it towards earth. The conversion of all other planetary masses. Huge earth planetary war memory. Science self said he caused it.

Earth survived when vacuum cleared out radiation mass in heaven gas burning incident. Stopped. Reasoning real......stone highest vacuum held law already existed.

Only science could have unnaturally changed that origin law.

Why human memory knows.

Brian2

Veteran Member

I recon spiders were taught by a greater intelligence about how to live and to build webs.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Possibly. We are made of billions of living cells. Somehow these cells come together to create a singular self-awareness.

How aware do you think any individual cell in our body is aware of the person we are?
How aware were you of the 300 million cells that just died in your body in the last minute?

Even if this universal conscious entity exists, it is unlikely we will ever share any conscious awareness.

How would you define awareness of stars compared to living being awareness?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
How would you define awareness of stars compared to living being awareness?
I would look at my human science brother thinking making thoughts. I would ask him. If you live inside gases and not anywhere else. Why would you believe stars could think. When you are thinking owning the condition. To think yourself?

I would then advise him. Did you know your science design changed God and the planets a long time ago as a thinker first? You then claim I own why stars exist that I know about. Actually.

PureX

Veteran Member
In the video, it questioned about the universe being self aware as it moves by physics and not by its own choice or intentions based on external and internal factors. So we can say we are conscious, animals, and it gave examples of trees as well, but stars and moon?

How are they conscious or self-aware?
Plants have no brain, and yet are able to track the sun across the sky, and move their 'bodies' to more effectively absorb it's energy. Celestial bodies all locked in a dance with each other through the pull of gravity and the bending of space. It could be considered a form of communication, as it tells them all where each other are, what way they are moving. And in some cases it even alters their internal conditions. I think that once we let go of the idea that awareness has to be "like ours", the possibilities expand considerably.

chinu

chinu
What if the universe is self-aware?
Universe need NOT to be self-aware of itself because there's NO greater universe in which this smaller universe is residing in to be aware of. Universe is just the one -- and only ONE.

And.. the term "Aware" has NO meanings, or cease to exist when there's non-duality. :)