• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schwarzenegger Vows Gay Marriage Bill Veto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flappycat

And believe me, Theodore, when I say that a homosexual man is incapable of having any real chemistry with a woman. Those who attempt it generally fail. The same probably goes for lesbians.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Indeed you are right, Flappycat. Every relationship I have attempted with someone with manbits has done a bellyflop. I dunno why. That, and the idea of manbits just isn't... appealing to me.

Reactions: Ori

Theodore

Jensa said:
Bullcrap. Black people had the right to marry other black people, so why would they want to marry a white person? Oh, but that's different, because it's a man and a woman

As a human I have the right to marry another consenting adult that I love. Not a man I'd be in an unhappy an unsatisfied relationship with, but the woman I love with all my heart. To sit there and tell me I don't have the right as any other legally married couples simply because we share the same genitals is beyond words.
Just because you say you have a right doesn’t make it so. Our society says you don’t have that right, so you don’t.

Does gender even really matter?
You seem to think so. If you didn’t you could marry a man.:p

When you get down to it, this body is a shell. I would be me if I had a penis, neither, hell, even both. To place so much emphasis on something as trivial as how someone pees is ridiculous.
I agree, the body is just a shell. But we get put into the shell we need to be in. I am a male this time. I need to work on my male issues. Maybe you have been a male for many past incarnations. This might be your first incarnation as a female and you are still attracted to females. Your issues might be working on becoming more comfortable as a female. I don’t really know.

Nevertheless, we are who we are for a reason. This world is a school that we have to learn our lessons in. Some lessons aren’t easy.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Just because you say you have a right doesn’t make it so. Our society says you don’t have that right, so you don’t.
When society said blacks were inferiour and should be slaves- did that make it right?

You seem to think so. If you didn’t you could marry a man.
I don't know if you've quite grasped this yet, but some of us don't like men. It's rather threatening to masculinity, eh?

I agree, the body is just a shell. But we get put into the shell we need to be in. I am a male this time. I need to work on my male issues. Maybe you have been a male for many past incarnations. This might be your first incarnation as a female and you are still attracted to females. Your issues might be working on becoming more comfortable as a female. I don’t really know.

Nevertheless, we are who we are for a reason. This world is a school that we have to learn our lessons in. Some lessons aren’t easy.
Or maybe our brains were designed differently and that makes us attracted to those of the same sex.

It's not rocket science- more like brain chemistry.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Theodore said:
At the risk of turning this into a 'I know you are, but what am I?'... just because you say it isn't a right, it doesn't mean it isn't.

You seem to think so. If you didn’t you could marry a man.:p
No I couldn't; Liz isn't a man.

I'm perfectly comfortable as a 'thingy' (for lack of a better word) in a female body. I love who I love, and who I love happens to have female bits, and I happen to be wary of having male bits poked in my direction.

Learning who I was and accepting it was one of the hardest lessons I ever learned.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Theodore, you may say you don't hate homosexuals, but your words are truly hateful. People who espouse hatred then hide behind their God terrify me because they use God as their excuse for their words and actions and then seemingly can excuse any rude or abhorrent behavior.

Why haven't you given us any legal or scientific proof to back up the claims you keep making?

Theodore

If the US government legalizes gay marriage then that’s the way it is. I may not agree, but I will respect it. Until then I will continue to express my opinion against it.

Note to Flappycat: Settle down, nobody is going to hurt you.:)

jonny

Darkdale said:
maybe we should be rethinking the institution of marriage itself? There seems to be two sides of a marriage: Religious and Legal. Maybe the government should have nothing to do with marriage. The government can simply be involved with legally binding domestic partnerships. Then, anyone, from any religion or background can get married however they wish, or people can be denied married based on their church or tradition; but the government would have no standard based on race, religion, sexual preference, gender, etc in upholding legally binding domestic partnerships. Maybe that is a stupid idea, but it just seems like it would lessen the controversy.

That way, we can get married without legally binding domestic partnerships and have legally binding domestic partnerships without being married.
I'd still like to hear the homosexuals opinion on this suggestion. Do you feel this is fair?

Flappycat

Theodore said:
If the US government legalizes gay marriage then that’s the way it is. I may not agree, but I will respect it. Until then I will continue to express my opinion against it.
I don't care what your opinions are.

Note to Flappycat: Settle down, nobody is going to hurt you.:)
You do cause me harm when you vote in favor of horrible, bigoted laws. If you're old enough to be a parent, you're old enough to remember when it was illegal for someone to even be homosexual. The people who were voting in favor of those horrible laws caused harm to innocent people, and they can't do anything to take those actions back. Even if they've recanted their former views, nothing they can do will ever erase the anguish and hurt caused by their votes. Nothing they can do will ever repair the lives that have been destroyed by the horrible people they helped to put into office. Nothing you say now can take back murders that have been incited by anti-gay rhetoric.

Think about the harm that your words and your votes are capable of causing.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
jonny said:
I'd still like to hear the homosexuals opinion on this suggestion. Do you feel this is fair?

Fair, yes. But you're going to upset more heterosexuals by suggesting this than you would but suggesting legal same sex marriage in the system we have now.

jonny

Maize said:

Fair, yes. But you're going to upset more heterosexuals by suggesting this than you would but suggesting legal same sex marriage in the system we have now.
Honestly, they'll be upset either way.

It's all about how you frame it. If you present it in the right way I think you could get a lot of support.

Theodore

Maize said:
Theodore, you may say you don't hate homosexuals, but your words are truly hateful. People who espouse hatred then hide behind their God terrify me because they use God as their excuse for their words and actions and then seemingly can excuse any rude or abhorrent behavior.

Why haven't you given us any legal or scientific proof to back up the claims you keep making?
I'm sorry if you misconstrued what I said as being hateful. I could say the same about most of the responses to my posts.
Maybe you think that because I find something immoral that it means I’m being hateful. Do you think that anybody who criticizes your lifestyle is being hateful?

As far as legal or scientific proof goes, how does one scientifically prove morality?

This is all merely my opinion, take it or leave it.

jonny

Theodore said:
I'm sorry if you misconstrued what I said as being hateful. I could say the same about most of the responses to my posts.
Maybe you think that because I find something immoral that it means I’m being hateful. Do you think that anybody who criticizes your lifestyle is being hateful?

As far as legal or scientific proof goes, how does one scientifically prove morality?

I don't agree with gay marriage either, but I think we need to be careful to make sure that we don't make the same mistakes over and over again. We need to learn from history. This country has a history of intolerance and discimination towards people who are different that the majority. I hope that we are starting to learn our lesson. We cannot create laws based on morality. Laws are created based on the constitution.

Flappycat

Theodore said:
Does anyone here suggest enacting laws that directly lessen the quality of your life?

I have quite a bit of criticism for anyone who chooses to do something that causes me harm, whether it blackens my eye or helps to take away my birthright to freedom and equality in the eyes of the law.

Do you feel that it's moral to do things that cause harm to innocent people? Do you need scientific proof to know that it is immoral for you to do so?

It's an opinion that compels you to cause me harm. I will not take it, and I will not leave it. I will not be satisfied until you promise to support my right to have equal standing to yourself in the eyes of the law, and I will not take rhetorical hat tricks as a substitute.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Theodore said:
You made these statements:
Gay marriage would be a disaster.
I also don’t think that a homosexual relationship is conducive to raising children.
Gay marriage would be a further erosion of the moral fabric of this nation.
Homosexuality is a perversion in the natural order of things.
Surely you have something besides your religious opinion to back them up?

Status
Not open for further replies.