• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schwarzenegger Vows Gay Marriage Bill Veto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theodore--

Theodore said:
The constitution does not guarantee the right of homosexual marriage. So until the majority of people in this country say it’s OK, it isn’t.
Actually, the exact opposite is true.

Amendment IX of the U.S. Constitution states: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." (From http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am9 )

That means that just because the Constitution doesn't say "You have the right to marry a same-sex partner" or "You have the right to eat mayonnaise" doesn't mean you don't have that right.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I hope you're right, Deut.

I really hope you're right. I don't want any future generations to feel the need to prove that their relationship is just the same as any other and feel heartsick and ready to throw up when they're told that they don't deserve to be able to marry who they love, that they can just marry the opposite sex if they want to.

huajiro

I am completely surprised at people's desire to affect other peoples' lives, when it has nothing to do with them.

Theodore

michel said:
You quote your religion as 'SRF' - forgive me, I don't know what that stands for. What I do understand is that Religion ought to be about tollerance and Love, and care for life.

You'll forgive me if I say that you don't seem to dispaly any of those qualities.
Just because I don't believe that homosexuality is moral, doesn't mean I hate or even dislike gay people. I discipline my children when I have to but that doesn’t mean I don’t love them.

Working in San Francisco, I work with and tolerate homosexuals daily. We all get along just fine. I don’t hate anybody.:)

Flappycat

Theodore said:
Marriage is a sacrament. It is a union of a man and a woman who, ideally , become spiritually one. It is a divine union made by God between a man and a woman.
Keep your god out of my life.

The institution of marriage has been trivialized and weakened in our society enough already.
And people like you are making it worse!

I don’t want to see the state sanctify a relationship that I find morally repugnant.
I find YOU morally repugnant, but that doesn't mean I want to take away your right to live!

Gay people can live together and do whatever else they choose to do. But as far as a society goes, the majority of us do not want to condone, approve or make official homosexual relationships.
Mob rule, is it? If the majority wanted to burn Christians at the stake, then, I suppose you'd line up to be torched? The majority is wrong! A majority will not stop me from defending what I believe is right, and a majority does not make your views any less evil and repugnant. I'm not going to let you use the mob to hide from the evil within yourself. You are wrong!

I also don’t think that a homosexual relationship is conducive to raising children.
This is just insulting. You're basically trashing on a homosexual couple's ability to raise a child even though there are homosexual couples out there who are ten times the parent that you could ever hope to be.

A homosexual couple provides a morally corrupt example to the child and therefore should not encouraged.
A bigot provides a morally corrupt example to the child, and they should never be trusted around children. You just called me "morally corrupt," and I insist that you take it back.

The best situation for a child is to be raised with their mother and father. This should be emphasized as strongly as possible.
Oh, so you're a child psychologist now? Where's your degree? Every statistic I've read says quite the contrary. One statistic I read actually finds that males raised in the care of lesbians are actually less sexually adventurous than they would have been if raised in the care of heterosexual parents.

Legitimizing homosexual relationships is quite different than tolerating them. Most people will tolerate homosexual relationships, even though they find them repulsive. But most people will also draw a line when it comes to officially approving these liaisons.
I draw the line when it comes to anything affecting my own lifestyle, and no amount of absolutely lame rationalization will convince me that this deprivation of my rights is the work of any but the most horrible sort of person.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Maize said:
You just find us "morally repugnant, morally corrupt and repulsive". :rolleyes:
Exactly! You don't have to hate to sneer down your nose at the morally corrupt homos.

Theodore

Maize said:
That's all fine and well in your religion. But we live in a secular nation and should not have to live by the rules of the majority's religion. You dislike homosexuals? Fine. No one can make you love your neighbor, but you have NO RIGHT to deny others rights simply because you dislike them or don't understand them.

Gay marriage is not a right, so you aren’t being denied any “rights”. And I certainly do have the right to voice my opinion along with the majority to form public policy.
Your words, but I can say the same thing about those who choose to breed hate and contempt for anyone different than themselves.
Have you ever heard the phrase “Hate the sin but love the sinner” (I don’t really like it either but it applies here). While I find homosexuality repugnant and morally offensive, I do not hate or dislike gay people.

We all have our imperfections. If I went and had an affair with another woman, and my wife didn’t find out, would that be OK? Lets see, nobody got hurt and it’s none of anybodies else’s business. Then it’s fine right? No, it would still be morally wrong.

I’m not calling for a condemnation of homosexuality or the people who practice it; but I will not publicly support it either.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jamaesi said:
That has got to be, easily, the most insensitive and digusting comment I have seen on here and I've seen plenty of mud-slinging recently.

I and Jensa and all the other homosexuals of America do not have the same rights as a heterosexual couple- we can not marry the one we love.
Insensitive - is that a description of someone who uses a sledge hammer to crack a nut?
I think that is one of the most horrendously premeditated insults I have heard; this thread has been going long enough for Theodore to understand the import of what he just said.:mad:

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Gay marriage is not a right, so you aren’t being denied any “rights”. And I certainly do have the right to voice my opinion along with the majority to form public policy.
Marriage is a human right.

We all have our imperfections. If I went and had an affair with another woman, and my wife didn’t find out, would that be OK? Lets see, nobody got hurt and it’s none of anybodies else’s business. Then it’s fine right? No, it would still be morally wrong.

I’m not calling for a condemnation of homosexuality or the people who practice it; but I will not publicly support it either.

Because a loving committed homosexual relationship is just like cheating on your wife.

No wonder heterosexual marriage is so messed up now.

Theodore

Mr_Spinkles said:
Theodore--

Actually, the exact opposite is true.

Amendment IX of the U.S. Constitution states: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." (From http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am9 )

That means that just because the Constitution doesn't say "You have the right to marry a same-sex partner" or "You have the right to eat mayonnaise" doesn't mean you don't have that right.
It doesn't mean you do either.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Theodore said:
Bullcrap. Black people had the right to marry other black people, so why would they want to marry a white person? Oh, but that's different, because it's a man and a woman.

As a human I have the right to marry another consenting adult that I love. Not a man I'd be in an unhappy an unsatisfied relationship with, but the woman I love with all my heart. To sit there and tell me I don't have the right as any other legally married couples simply because we share the same genitals is beyond words.

Does gender even really matter? When you get down to it, this body is a shell. I would be me if I had a penis, neither, hell, even both. To place so much emphasis on something as trivial as how someone pees is ridiculous.

I would consider it wrong... because you went about it behind her back and broke her trust.

huajiro

Theodore said:
[/color]
Have you ever heard the phrase “Hate the sin but love the sinner” (I don’t really like it either but it applies here). While I find homosexuality repugnant and morally offensive, I do not hate or dislike gay people.

Who are you to say what is a right and not? Until you engage in a homosexual relationship, I really don't think you have much to say about what they do.
Theodore said:
What does homosexuality have to do with cheating on your wife?
Theodore said:
Is not allowing them to get married not condemnation?

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Is not allowing them to get married not condemnation?
Why no, it's just "protecting" an institution that heterosexuals seem to be destroying quite nicely themselves, thanks.

Theodore

jamaesi said:
Marriage is a human right.
Yes, between a man and a woman.
Because a loving committed homosexual relationship is just like cheating on your wife.
No wonder heterosexual marriage is so messed up now.
The point I was making was that just because you think something is OK, and it’s not hurting anybody, doesn’t mean it’s just fine. Adultery is immoral whether I think so or not. I could intellectually rationalize doing just about anything, but that doesn’t mean it’s right.
You may not believe that there is right and wrong, moral and immoral laws in this world, but I do.

Flappycat

Theodore said:
I had a right to be treated with dignity and equality on the day that I was born, and it isn't your place to take away this right. Ballyhoo on your rhetorical hat tricks. I just don't buy it anymore.

Hate is hate, and filling yourself with hate for something that doesn't deserve to be hated leaves you filled with hate.

What makes it morally wrong is that you violated her trust in you. She gave you a wonderful and special gift, and you used it to betray her. I've been accused of being unreasonably tolerant of the moral decisions of others, but betrayal is something that even I frown upon.

Nobody has asked you to support anything. I, however, am asking you to confine yourself to what is within your rights. You haven't a right to deprive others of their rights, and the majority does not make doing so any less evil.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Theodore said:
Yes, between a man and a woman.
The point I was making was that just because you think something is OK, and it’s not hurting anybody, doesn’t mean it’s just fine. Adultery is immoral whether I think so or not. I could intellectually rationalize doing just about anything, but that doesn’t mean it’s right.
You may not believe that there is right and wrong, moral and immoral laws in this world, but I do.
No, marriage is between two people who love each other.

People get hurt when one commits adultery. Please try again, only with more logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.