• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schools and Masks from anti-Masker perspective?

tytlyf

Not Religious
To those who don't support wearing masks and oppose mask rules, do you encourage your children to not wear masks when attending school?

Is the anti-mask perspective by the parents shared with the children when it comes to wearing masks in schools?

Or do these anti-mask parents tell their children to "wear a mask" at school?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To those who don't support wearing masks and oppose mask rules, do you encourage your children to not wear masks when attending school?

Is the anti-mask perspective by the parents shared with the children when it comes to wearing masks in schools?

Most anti-mask people are against wearing mask but don't protest by not wearing one. In my observation on other sites, anti-maskers seem more civilized than pro-maskers, so this is probably would be a heated discussion if continued.

Personally, if I had children being that I'm skeptical of mask use (not their purpose) I'd still have my child wear mask (and wash their hands and social distance). Maybe mask should have been a regular practice given children (depending on the age?) spread germs anyway-wiping their face and clothes with snot and touching over everything. So, I see no harm in it. Anti-maskers are concerned over the political aspect of it. A minority would not wear a mask (and tell their children not to) in public and at school. Majority of the people do; so, the analogy situation would probably be rare.

epronovost

Children would disobey their parents pretty quickly to avoid being sanctionned by their teachers or being refused access to the schoolground as long as they refuse to wear their masks. That could also make them subject to mockeries by their peers too. What's more likely is parents picking fights they cannot win with the school administration over the sbject to the detriment of their child wellbeing and education.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't speak for K-12 public schools because I haven't looked into it, but at the university here, the mask mandates do actually have teeth. If a student won't wear a mask in, say, their lab class they're told to leave. If they cause further issues they're subject to university disciplinary policies. It wouldn't surprise me if K-12 has similar policies. As such, guardians encouraging their charges to be disobedient would be... more than a little ill-advised.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Like the ones that stopped vaccination clinics in two locations (the ones blocking the vaccination sites were a combination of anti-vaxxers and anti-mask people).

They want misery and death to continue so lock them up.

A handful on television versus the whole population of anti-maskers?

A lot of anti-maskers would call the people on television stupid. Not everyone is political about their opinions.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I can't speak for K-12 public schools because I haven't looked into it, but at the university here, the mask mandates do actually have teeth. If a student won't wear a mask in, say, their lab class they're told to leave. If they cause further issues they're subject to university disciplinary policies. It wouldn't surprise me if K-12 has similar policies. As such, guardians encouraging their charges to be disobedient would be... more than a little ill-advised.

Over here, everything turned hybrid in grade school. When it was worse, everyone was virtual. Did they consider that option? I notice a lot of times it's less about mask wearing and more about policies. For example, a student can be way on the other side of the room by himself and two students on the opposite side but because of policies, he still needs to wear a mask. Maybe alleviate students needing to miss work for wearing masks and just make it all virtual?

Thief

Rogue Theologian

have you been reported for this thread?

Altfish

Veteran Member
My 4-year old granddaughter was playing 'shop' with my wife today, my wife went to choose her fruit from the play store and was told in no uncertain terms, "Grandma, you can't come in here without a mask".
My wife had to retreat and get her mask from her handbag.

Kids are not daft

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It boggles my mind that any university in the US is even having in-person classes right now.

Ontario universities have been online-only since March, and have recently announced that they'll still be online-only at least through the summer term.

... and that's with (IIRC) a quarter of the case rate of, say, Michigan.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Over here, everything turned hybrid in grade school. When it was worse, everyone was virtual. Did they consider that option? I notice a lot of times it's less about mask wearing and more about policies. For example, a student can be way on the other side of the room by himself and two students on the opposite side but because of policies, he still needs to wear a mask. Maybe alleviate students needing to miss work for wearing masks and just make it all virtual?

There are a couple problems with that. One, there is a good portion of students who do not want a virtual only educational experience for lots of very good reasons, ranging from learning disabilities to difficult at-home situations or simple personal preference. Two, there are some educational experiences that cannot be replicated virtually. Notably, any program of study that has strong experiential learning components. Science labs. Music ensembles. Things like that. Only so much of that can be virtualized.

It boggles my mind that any university in the US is even having in-person classes right now.

Ontario universities have been online-only since March, and have recently announced that they'll still be online-only at least through the summer term.

... and that's with (IIRC) a quarter of the case rate of, say, Michigan.

It works out better than one might think provided sound policies are created and enforced. The problem is, the process of doing that is very patchwork in the United States with some universities doing a better job than others. Very little transmission is happening in classrooms based on the data - it's mostly happening off-campus, which would be happening anyway. I have mixed feelings about the hybrid modality we have but also recognize there isn't much of a choice for a variety of reasons.

America - the country where your government will bail out wall street, but refuses to bail out public education during a pandemic. Result - closing up is literally not an option for most.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There are a couple problems with that. One, there is a good portion of students who do not want a virtual only educational experience for lots of very good reasons, ranging from learning disabilities to difficult at-home situations or simple personal preference. Two, there are some educational experiences that cannot be replicated virtually. Notably, any program of study that has strong experiential learning components. Science labs. Music ensembles. Things like that. Only so much of that can be virtualized.
Those are all factors on the one side. On the other side is a real cost in human life.

It works out better than one might think provided sound policies are created and enforced. The problem is, the process of doing that is very patchwork in the United States with some universities doing a better job than others. Very little transmission is happening in classrooms based on the data - it's mostly happening off-campus, which would be happening anyway. I have mixed feelings about the hybrid modality we have but also recognize there isn't much of a choice for a variety of reasons.

America - the country where your government will bail out wall street, but refuses to bail out public education during a pandemic. Result - closing up is literally not an option for most.
From what I've been reading, contact tracing in many places in the US ranges from "overwhelmed" to "non-existent," so I don't think that anyone has a clear enough idea of how and where transmission is happening to say that universities aren't a significant factor.

And the impact of in-person classes isn't just seen in contact in the classroom itself. If classes continue on campus, then students have to live on or near campus... in dorms, shared houses, and other environments that don't exactly lend themselves to maintaining proper physical distancing, or to self-isolation once one roommate gets sick.

Online-only classes allows schools to close the dorms and allows students to telecommute from their parents' house. Often less fun for the student, but almost always safer.

But all that aside, yes: the US in general has done a terrible job of putting in proper restrictions across the board, so I'm sure there are other sectors that are much worse offenders.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't get why anyone would object to a public health measure of this kind.
I was listening to a guy on the radio the other day who had 'gone off' at his local school board because they had not yet reopened the schools. It was clear that this guy was very frustrated because he and his wife both needed to work to keep up with the bills, yet could not because they had kids at home. They dealt with it as best they could, but it's going on a year, now, and their nerves are getting frayed.

Then, thanks to the crap-storm of political lies and propaganda that we all live in, now, this guy has convinced himself that the covid pandemic is mostly a hoax being perpetrated by democrats or liberals or communists or the school board, or whomever, for some inexplicable reason that he hadn't figured out, just to drive him and his family into poverty and compliance. As he talked he became more and more agitated, until he was screaming at and threatening the school board members.

I think when people's frustration and confusion and fear rise to a certain level, they lose the ability to reason, and on their grasp on what is a proper proportional response. They "lose their sh*t", so to speak, as this guy on the radio had. And at that point all kinds of bad and very stupid things can happen. Most parents would want to take the maximum precautions for their kids. Without question. They would not be willing to take any chances with their own children's health. But when the stress levels reach a certain point, they begin to lose the ability to think clearly, and then all kinds of really stupid and dangerous choices and reactions begin to start happening.

I don't think blaming them for this is of much value to anyone. What is of value, is trying to find ways of relieving all that stress, so people can think more clearly and react more reasonably, again. This is why it's so crucial to get more help to the public, quickly, and why the political deadlock in Washington is so damaging to the country in a time of great stress.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Is public school open?

We home school but the mask mandates and the subject as a whole has only caused division and drives people apart. This issue has been just another tool of contention between people, especially citizens.

ecco

Veteran Member
We home school but the mask mandates and the subject as a whole has only caused division and drives people apart. This issue has been just another tool of contention between people, especially citizens.

Caused division? Why would science and health guidelines cause division?

Oh, wait. It always does. Just like the division that evolution is a fact is denied by many conservative right-wing religious types.

I'd be willing to bet that many of the same people who deny evolution and global warming are the same ones who claim Covid is fake and wearing masks is just another stab in the heart of religion.

I'd be willing to bet that many of the same people who deny evolution and global warming are the same people who believe Tom Hanks is part of a Satanic, blood-drinking cabal that is trying to establish a New World Order.

I'd be willing to bet that many of the same people who deny evolution and global warming are the same people who deny that Biden won the election.

Does that include you?

Oh, wait. It always does. Just like the division that evolution is a fact is denied by many conservative right-wing religious types.

I'd be willing to bet that many of the same people who deny evolution and global warming are the same ones who claim Covid is fake and wearing masks is just another stab in the heart of religion.

I'd be willing to bet that many of the same people who deny evolution and global warming are the same people who believe Tom Hanks is part of a Satanic, blood-drinking cabal that is trying to establish a New World Order.

I'd be willing to bet that many of the same people who deny evolution and global warming are the same people who deny that Biden won the election.

Does that include you?
No

Does that include you?

Does that include you?

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man comes to the Father except through Him. Fact

Anyone who says there is no God is a fool. Fact