• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School uniforms vs fashion statements

Curious George

Veteran Member
Pros:
can foster more "school spirit."
Allows for easy identification of those who belong and those who don't.

Cons:
Can create a sense of rivalry between other schools.
Creates another set of near arbitrary rules to fuss over.
Allows adults to have a false sense of security in discerning who belongs and who doesn't.

Kids will find ways to express themselves regardless of whether they wear uniforms or not. And kids will find ways to show wealth status regardless of whether they wear uniforms or not. I think whatever your stance is on uniforms it is clear that they are unnecessary. Some kids do not have the money or space for an entire different set of clothes. Most do and usually schools that require uniforms can help accommodate. So I guess it doesn't matter that much in general.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Was this like a cultural backlash against the Vietnam war?
I feel like I keep seeing movies about that era but it was mostly an American thing. So it wasn’t exactly covered that in depth in my history class, if you get me?

It may have been rooted in the protests against Vietnam, but it seemed to expand from there to include opposition to any form of militarism, uniforms - or even any kind of regimentation at all. Even organized sports teams were criticized in some circles.

Much of this sentiment subsided during the Reagan era. Movies like Top Gun made uniforms and the military "cool" again in the eyes of the public.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
But one needn't do as one is told.

Obeying fashionista dictates is for
the kind of people who like uniforms.
I’ve worn uniforms my entire life. In regular life I’ve always dressed according to what I want to wear, never the fashionistas or trend setters. To hell with trends. I wear my odd geek gear with pride.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I noticed that RF sells t-shirts, but what about uniforms?

What would uniforms on RF look like?

P1010280.jpg

ugliest-jersey-cd-palencia-team.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Fashion is literally about people all being told what to wear this season.

My impressions of the fashion industry were first formed when I saw an episode of The Rockford Files called "With the French Heel Back, Can the Nehru Jacket Be Far Behind?" It was about alien shapeshifter who goes back in time to Earth in the 1970s and passes himself off as a fashion designer, while Col. Dearing from the Earth Defense Directorate also travels back in time to track him and employs Rockford's services.

That's how I came to realize that the entire fashion industry is controlled by aliens. It's the only possible explanation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I’ve worn uniforms my entire life. In regular life I’ve always dressed according to what I want to wear, never the fashionistas or trend setters. To hell with trends. I wear my odd geek gear with pride.
I've never worn a uniform...never joined Cub
Scouts, private school, Boy Scouts, military, etc.
To each his (or her...or their) own, eh.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I've never worn a uniform...never joined Cub
Scouts, private school, Boy Scouts, military, etc.
To each his (or her...or their) own, eh.
I’ve never been to scouts or cubs or the military. Wore uniforms in school and at work. Sometimes simply a dress code. It’s just clothes, nothing that special tbh. A time and a place kind of deal. I wear what I want on my off time. Not sure why a uniform would impede such decisions. Seems silly. As for fashions. Well, Fashion is just Hoity toity pretentiousness. :shrug:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I’ve never been to scouts or cubs or the military. Wore uniforms in school and at work. Sometimes simply a dress code. It’s just clothes, nothing that special tbh. Fashion is just Hoity toity pretentiousness. :shrug:
Fashion can also be art, individuality, comfort, political speech, & socializing.
Note that I'm not into haute couture.
(I even had to google its spelling.)

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Fashion can also be art, individuality, comfort, political speech, & socializing.
Note that I'm not into haute couture.
(I even had to google its spelling.)
So can being a human, I find.
Still not sure why wearing a uniform would impede on such endeavours. I never had any issues with any such avenues of human existence and I had to wear one for at least 12 years of my life. And then a chunk of my working life.
I have always been my weird odd irreverent self. I never had any issues with figuring out who I am (beyond typical teen angst.)

I’m at a loss as to why Americanstans apply such undue worthiness onto what one wears during the formative years?. It seems awfully shallow.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Still not sure why wearing a uniform would impede on such endeavours. I never had any issues with any such avenues of human existence and I had to wear one for at least 12 years of my life. And then a chunk of my working life.
I have always been my weird odd irreverent self. I never had any issues with figuring out who I am (beyond typical teen angst.)

I’m at a loss as to why Americanstans apply such undue worthiness to what one wears during the formative years. It seems awfully shallow.
Uniforms are no problem for people who are OK with them.
But I dislike them.
They smack of someone trying to exercise control over others.
I never cared much about what I wore back in grade school.
Any old pocket protector would do.
But I did know better than to wear a slide rule hanging from me belt.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Uniforms are no problem for people who are OK with them.
But I dislike them.
They smack of someone trying to exercise control over others.
I never cared much about what I wore back in grade school.
Any old pocket protector would do.
But I did know better than to wear a slide rule hanging from me belt.
Society controls us all. Fashion is far more controlling than any simple uniform. A facade to determine the elites and paupers on display for all to see.

Besides one is usually expected to be under some sort of control in a school or work setting. I mean, detentions and firings being consequences and all. It’s also a kind of security system. Easily identify the intruder without the need for some elaborate eye scanning system.

School or work is not the same as real life anyway. So of course it would be more controlled. Uniforms don’t magically erase individuality or rebellion or indeed freedom of expression. To think such belies a fundamental lack of creativity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Society controls us all. Fashion is far more controlling than any simple uniform. A facade to determine the elites and paupers on display for all to see.
It seems to control some more than others.
I prefer to be controlled without wearing a uniform.
Besides one is usually expected to be under some sort of control in a school or work setting. I mean, detentions and firings being consequences and all. It’s also a kind of security system. Easily identify the intruder without the need for some elaborate eye scanning system.

School or work is not the same as real life anyway. So of course it would be more controlled. Uniforms don’t magically erase individuality or rebellion or indeed freedom of expression. To think such belies a fundamental lack of creativity.
Uniforms are useful, & will be imposed here & there.
But I'll pass on that.

Besides, I'm recognized by my Hawaiian shirts.
It happens in the oddest places far from home.
Also, at engine shows, it allows those seeking me out to spot me in the crowd.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Even though school uniforms are common in UK secondary schools (but not universal it seems), and more common in primary/elementary schools, many females in secondary schools are prone to disobeying school regulations concerning hem-lines - it being more fashionable it seems to show a lot of leg. The result - it upsets the teachers (mostly male), and perhaps some boys, constantly seeing knickers being flashed. And because of this, many schools have opted for trousers to overcome such issues. It seems one can't win.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
It seems to control some more than others.
I prefer to be controlled without wearing a uniform.
A uniform need not be a controlling force. Tis but a shirt and shorts (Perhaps a suit and tie?)
What’s controlling about that?

Indeed my teachers exerted far more control over us than mere fabric. Homework. Assessments. Curriculum. Exams.
Teachers had much control and exert their authority on a daily basis. A uniform was nothing but some clothes. Nothing special and nothing that meant giving up anything whatsoever. So again I question my Americanstan counterparts. Do they lack such individuality and creativity that a mere shirt colour can extoll such control over them?
How sad. Such a lack of true rebellion . Tsk
Pathetic

Besides, I'm recognized by my Hawaiian shirts.
It happens in the oddest places far from home.
Also, at engine shows, it allows those seeking me out to spot me in the crowd.
Lol most of my English teachers wore Hawaiian shirts. That’s their signature. Omg Are you an English teacher??!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A uniform need not be a controlling force. Tis but a shirt and shorts (Perhaps a suit and tie?)
What’s controlling about that?
I hate ties.
Indeed my teachers exerted far more control over us than mere fabric. Homework. Assessments. Curriculum. Exams.
Teachers had much control and exert their authority on a daily basis. A uniform was nothing but some clothes. Nothing special and nothing that meant giving up anything whatsoever. So again I question my Americanstan counterparts. Do they lack such individuality and creativity that a mere shirt colour can extoll such control over them?
How sad. Such a lack of true rebellion . Tsk
Pathetic
I prefer being pathetic without wearing a uniform.
Lol most of my English teachers wore Hawaiian shirts. That’s their signature. Omg Are you an English teacher??!
Me no teech English.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
School uniforms are fine but the bill should be picked up by the state or at least cover it for poor families, and girls shouldn't have to wear skirts or blouses if they don't want to.