• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School teacher on leave after "sniper rifle" remark regarding activist Greta Thunberg

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Being allowed to get married with parental consent is still being allowed to get married.

All I was responding to is the claim that she is a child. As far as I'm concerned if you can legally have sex and therefore your own children you are not a child. At 16 I was always called a young adult and not a child. It strikes me as odd to call someone who has left school a child.

@Sunstone
Needing parental consent is hardly an adult thing. It strikes me as very childlike in nature.
Anyone can have sex. It’s not rocket science. Teenagers experimenting with their newfound hormones is hardly what I think of when I think of adult behaviour.
Having children is also merely a case of basic puberty (and even then there are rather disturbingly young mothers in the world records book, if you get me?)
Miss Greta can’t even buy alcohol legally yet. She’s a whippersnapper lol

And you guys finish school at 16? Dang!. Where I live you have to attend school until you’re at least 17. The only exceptions are if you’re doing a trade apprenticeship or you’re going to tertiary/higher education.

At 16 I was considered a kid, a minor, a teenager. Perhaps “child” is a little inflammatory.
But remember in America, where I am assuming Mr Sunstone hails from, a lot of states don’t consider even 18 year olds to be proper adults. With consent ages ranging from 18 - 21!
So it doesn’t surprise me if someone who is American refers to a 16 year old as a child, in all honesty. I wouldn’t go that far myself. I think of them as a “kid,” maybe. But Americans might even treat an 18 year old like a child, depending on the state in question.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes that's true, but I'm not privy that she's some type of savant at university level to which if not, her knowledge will be no more or less than any other 16 year old has, much less my own in kind, and relegated to being swayed one way or another by what the experts say pro and con.

She certainly has an opinion, just like we have opinions here, but it's not going to be anything substantial beyond that and let's face it, we are pretty much shaped by the people around us and those we read about that gives us one reason or another to regard or not to regard what is being said about various things.
Who's saying she's some sort of savant "at university level" -- whatever that means. I can't speak for you, but when I was 16 my opinions were shaped by the books and magazines I read.
You say she can't have "substantial" opinions. I had substantial opinions by the time I was 16.

Anyone who can read and has a special interest can be expected to have done some reading on the subject, and to have some substantial knowledge.
Google Amazon books. Look how many books on ecology or global warming there are. You don't think she's read a few of these? What do you think she was doing on her two week sail to the US, playing Angry Birds?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Upon what evidence can you provide to support such a claim? The only thing "obvious" is that you reject the message merely because it jostles your flimsy narrative.

Um where did I say the above in this discussion I only posted twice #8 #9

Oh yes I will take that apology from you as well

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Um where did I say the above in this discussion I only posted twice #8 #9

Oh yes I will take that apology from you as well

I'm asking upon what basis would you assume that she's just being used as some witless prop who has no actual understanding of own her message, other than simply not liking what she has to say? The only people who've been dismissive or in opposition to her have been climate change deniers; not the most objective or honest group.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes that's true, but I'm not privy that she's some type of savant at university level to which if not, her knowledge will be no more or less than any other 16 year old has, much less my own in kind, and relegated to being swayed one way or another by what the experts say pro and con.

She certainly has an opinion, just like we have opinions here, but it's not going to be anything substantial beyond that and let's face it, we are pretty much shaped by the people around us and those we read about that gives us one reason or another to regard or not to regard what is being said about various things.

Sadly, many teens are more rational, objective, and better informed than many older adults.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I'm asking upon what basis would you assume that she's just being used as some witless prop who has no actual understanding of own her message, other than simply not liking what she has to say? The only people who've been dismissive or in opposition to her have been climate change deniers; not the most objective or honest group.

I'm saying you misquoted me you quoted the wrong person because I never said that in this thread!!!!!!!

Go back and read my responses up until now, I only had two in this discussion!!!!!!

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm saying you misquoted me you quoted the wrong person because I never said that in this thread!!!!!!!

Go back and read my responses up until now, I only had two in this discussion!!!!!!

Oh. Ooooooh. I'm sorry. the quotes got ****ed up somehow. that was from @Nowhere Man. No idea how it got attributed to you. Again, sorry about that.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Here @Father Heathen I did your homework

The above was said by @Nowhere Man

So again you can apologize to me now because I never said the above.....
giphy.gif