• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scholars Have Found a Rare Copy of Heretical Writings on Jesus And His 'Brother'

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I found this interesting:

Scholars Have Found a Rare Copy of Heretical Writings on Jesus And His 'Brother'

"We never suspected that Greek fragments of the First Apocalypse of James survived from antiquity. But there they were, right in front of us."

The manuscript is famous for describing a conversation between Jesus and James, who he refers to as frequently 'my brother'. Before we get too excited about proof of siblings, he does make it clear that James is "not my brother materially".

Nonetheless, the document is technically heretical, not being included in the Christian canon as a bonafide gospel by Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, who led discussions in the 4th century on what scriptures to include in the New Testament.

"The text supplements the biblical account of Jesus's life and ministry by allowing us access to conversations that purportedly took place between Jesus and his brother, James – secret teachings that allowed James to be a good teacher after Jesus's death," says Smith.

The document itself The (First) Apocalypse of James -- The Nag Hammadi Library

Phantasman

"We never suspected that Greek fragments of the First Apocalypse of James survived from antiquity. But there they were, right in front of us."

The manuscript is famous for describing a conversation between Jesus and James, who he refers to as frequently 'my brother'. Before we get too excited about proof of siblings, he does make it clear that James is "not my brother materially".

Nonetheless, the document is technically heretical, not being included in the Christian canon as a bonafide gospel by Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, who led discussions in the 4th century on what scriptures to include in the New Testament.

"The text supplements the biblical account of Jesus's life and ministry by allowing us access to conversations that purportedly took place between Jesus and his brother, James – secret teachings that allowed James to be a good teacher after Jesus's death," says Smith.

It's been out a while. James was much more influential than the orthodox give him credit for. It was through James and Paul that the true church was created. The orthodox follow the early catholic ideology (Peter).

Galatians calls out Peters path as being a "false gospel". (mentioned at the "Incident at Antioch") And Paul followed James instructions.

(12) The disciples said to Jesus, "We know that you will depart from us. Who is to be our leader?"
Jesus said to them, "Wherever you are, you are to go to James the righteous, for whose sake heaven and earth came into being."- Gospel of Thomas

The 1st and 2nd Apocalypse of James, as well as the Apocryphon of James, are further spiritual gnosis books showing the chasm between the developing churches of flesh (catholic) and the spirit (gnostic) ideologies.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The publication of the Nag Hamadi library is about 30 years old, hardly new news!

David T

Premium Member
It's been out a while. James was much more influential than the orthodox give him credit for. It was through James and Paul that the true church was created. The orthodox follow the early catholic ideology (Peter).

Galatians calls out Peters path as being a "false gospel". (mentioned at the "Incident at Antioch") And Paul followed James instructions.

(12) The disciples said to Jesus, "We know that you will depart from us. Who is to be our leader?"
Jesus said to them, "Wherever you are, you are to go to James the righteous, for whose sake heaven and earth came into being."- Gospel of Thomas

The 1st and 2nd Apocalypse of James, as well as the Apocryphon of James, are further spiritual gnosis books showing the chasm between the developing churches of flesh (catholic) and the spirit (gnostic) ideologies.
It's impossible to tell if James wrote it. But the reality is Christianity is its organic it's not synthetic. If our very thinking process which entails more than just very neat codified "orthodox" or "scientific" yes-no this-that, then Christians statements about "the living word" are accurate oddly enough 8n some strange way.. If thought itself is organic, that creates very interesting problems for us. It's been "believed" especially since the enlightenment that humans thought was independent. But Is human thought literally independent? Again Religion says no, in fact religion makes strong statements as to the dangers of independent thoughts from God a disconnected thought from history.

My understanding of God is way different here but I sort of just mused out the above. I will probably have to contemplate this for the next 5 years!! Lol. Can thoughts be independent of the body? No. If thoughts are not independent of the body, then thoughts have to be organic.

David T

Premium Member

Thank you sunrise. This part of scholarship I find is very important. They are *drones, they place pieces together. Invariably later they then write books giving narrative what the pieces say and that's nearly always monty python nonsense.

*usage of the word drone is highly biased by the author and unscientific, but it makes him feel normal in a clueless kind of way.

Last edited:

Phantasman

It's impossible to tell if James wrote it. But the reality is Christianity is its organic it's not synthetic. If our very thinking process which entails more than just very neat codified "orthodox" or "scientific" yes-no this-that, then Christians statements about "the living word" are accurate oddly enough 8n some strange way.. If thought itself is organic, that creates very interesting problems for us. It's been "believed" especially since the enlightenment that humans thought was independent. But Is human thought literally independent? Again Religion says no, in fact religion makes strong statements as to the dangers of independent thoughts from God a disconnected thought from history.

My understanding of God is way different here but I sort of just mused out the above. I will probably have to contemplate this for the next 5 years!! Lol. Can thoughts be independent of the body? No. If thoughts are not independent of the body, then thoughts have to be organic.
No one knows who wrote the canon Gospels, Acts, Hebrews, etc as well. The Spirit straightens that out, since Jesus said it would lead us to "all truth". When we follow ignorance as truth, the mind is seeing material instead of spiritual, and accepting it. The Gospel messages are there to learn the difference,

John:
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

David T

Premium Member
No one knows who wrote the canon Gospels, Acts, Hebrews, etc as well. The Spirit straightens that out, since Jesus said it would lead us to "all truth". When we follow ignorance as truth, the mind is seeing material instead of spiritual, and accepting it. The Gospel messages are there to learn the difference,

John:
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
God=nature nature=God. Yes.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
So far, I haven't been able to figure out just how "there they were, right in front of us," since the discovery of the Nag Hammadi texts nearly 70 years ago, and how all the other people who have studied them managed to NOT NOTICE them when they were "right in front of us."

Jumi

So far, I haven't been able to figure out just how "there they were, right in front of us," since the discovery of the Nag Hammadi texts nearly 70 years ago, and how all the other people who have studied them managed to NOT NOTICE them when they were "right in front of us."
If you're familiar with the story of the Nag Hammadi library, it becomes clear... what I thought when I read about it was that there were many texts the scholars who got their hands on the texts didn't want to come out. Either that, or they were hugely incompetent and egoistic.

Phantasman

God=nature nature=God. Yes.
Considering nature is imperfect, I would disagree.

Natural is of the physical.

1 Corinthians:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

The spirit of the perfect God was attained through the Tree of Life. The natural man was lied to by the imperfect god of the material world, that included nature.

Just my humble view.

David T

Premium Member
Considering nature is imperfect, I would disagree.

Natural is of the physical.

1 Corinthians:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

The spirit of the perfect God was attained through the Tree of Life. The natural man was lied to by the imperfect god of the material world, that included nature.

Just my humble view.
I turn to the dude on my left is it me?" no you sea through your daughters eyes, they only see with the own eyes. My life is not about you and your daughter its for those who cannot sea."

he likes Ryann a lot. No I mean A whole lot. Like she is perfectly imperfect a lot. I just sorta only understand that. Everything else I don't understand. Simple.
20170805_142250.jpg

DennisTate

I believe that you will really like this webpage:

Untitled Document

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yep. Thomas, Philip, Mary, Truth etc.

Other copies of the Gospel, First Apocalyse of James, and conflicting references to the nature of the relationship between Jesus and his brother. The new find is interesting, but it does not reveal anything new concerning the content of the gospel.