• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schizophrenia

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Even more emails - this looks a great site -

Soul Retrieval: 5 Powerful Ways to Heal Soul Loss

Excellent site if you have the time & the inclination.

I guess you won't hear of "soul retrieval" from most Western shrinks
smile.gif

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From another email -

I have written enough for ten books over the past 38 years so it is a hard question to do justice it in a relatively brief response but I will do my best.

I was diagnosed way back in 1983 with paranoid schizophrenia - I found out that if you tell a shrink that some external entity is puttiing all kinds of horrible thoughts into your head then the shrink has no option but to diagnose you with paranoid schizophrenia!

My psychotic symptoms were severe in the beginning. So severe I honestly do not know how I avoided ending in prison or the grave. I do regard it as a genuine "miracle" but that may not satisfy many people.

My mind was a swirling, random, chaotic mess.

I was virtually FORCED into meditation or I would have totally lost the plot!

Meditation & mindfulness have been around for centuries - esp in Buddhist countries.

Basically meditation is a way of training your mind to be more positive by contemplating such human qualities as compassion & forgiveness & kindness & gratitude to name a few off-the-to-of-my-head

At least that has been my experience of meditation. Thee are countless ways to meditate and it isn't as "mystical" as some believe. It's really quite practical. You just need to experiment to find what works best for you as an individual with a unique human mind!
I also read a LOT - being schizo and having little income I have to keep myself occupied cheaply. My current routine is most enjoyable - I alternate between reading & meditating & doing yoga & chanting & walking & writing & listening to my favorite music & surfing the web. I have books that I have read many dozens of times. I could recommend a couple if you were interested. I could also point you towards some excellent websites I have discovered over the yeas!

I also enjoy marathon sessions of playing reversi against the computer. Each game is unique and it is a real challenge for the mind & the imagination - yo can also play online -

Reversi - Free Online Games | GameFools

Easy to learn but hundreds of games to become a master at it

I am not sure what your precise situation is - feel free to share - I promise yo will NOT shock me after all I have experienced. I figure you are looking for answers to the big questions of the human experience on this planet. That is something we all could do more often instead of distracting our minds in any number of ways in this modern world.

Okay, if you want a better explanation of where I am coming from. Here's a cuple of books you may find helpful. I certainly have enjoyed them but we all have different tastes - would be a boring old world if we were all the same!

"Happiness" by Matthieu Ricard

"Welcoming the unwelcome" by Pema Chodron - or any of her other books such as "When Things Fall Apart"

Also find Pema on the web and YouTube - she is very popular and there is loads of free stuff online -

Articles

Her basic message is that we should practice treating ourselves with kindness before we can hope to treat our fellow humans decently.

This blog is another good resource -

How to Be Happy: 23 Ways to Be Happier

Or if you wanted a point of view that suggests we seek meaning rather than happiness -

Is a Happy Life Different from a Meaningful One?

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask - there is no such thing as a "stupid" question in my view. We ONLY lean by asking questions!

Anyway, wishing you all the best and hope you find something useful in my email

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"What do I think? I think that the real secret of life is to chant the following mantra as often and as loudly and as spontaneously as you can manage - Loomer-loomer-loom-loom-loom!"

smile.gif

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Then found a couple of videos - yet to fully listen but well-worth checking out - spirituality and mental illness -

Plus a few others - remind me ...

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Happier human being different

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears however measured or far away.”

Henry David Thoreau

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it’s something to get away from.”

Jodie Foster

“The person who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The person who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever seen before.”

Albert Einstein

“You are a marvel. You are unique. In all the years that have passed, there has never been another child like you. Your legs, your arms, your clever fingers, the way you move. You may become a Shakespeare, a Michelangelo, a Beethoven. You have the capacity for anything.”

Henry David Thoreau

Plus links at right side of screen

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.”

Nido Qubein

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“You are the one thing in this world, above all other things, that you must never give up on. When I was in middle school, I was struggling with severe anxiety and depression and the help and support I received from my family and a therapist saved my life. Asking for help is the first step. You are more precious to this world than you’ll ever know.”

Lili Rhinehart

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“You don’t have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.”

Dan Millman