• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schizophrenia

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Spiritual emergency or schizophrenia?

From that usb I updated ... just one article of many? -

As a transpersonal psychologist, I’m very interested in the spiritual aspect of the human condition. During my training, I was fascinated to learn about the term spiritual emergency. While the concept has similarities to that of psychosis, in my mind it seems to have a more positive and beneficial vibe connected to it, in that it may lead to transformation or a sense of empowerment.

The term spiritual emergency (sometimes called a psychospiritual crisis), was coined by psychotherapist Christina Grov and her husband and psychiatrist Stanilov Grov and typically occurs after, or is triggered by, a physical or emotional life-enhancing or awe-inspiring experience. It may also be triggered by a lack of sleep or matters related to childbirth, miscarriage, or abortion. Extreme sexual experiences can also result in a spiritual emergency. Sometimes the trigger may be connected to a deep spiritual practice or meditation. Another interesting fact is that often those experiencing spiritual emergencies seem to seek self-expression in the arts through painting, music, or writing—all languages of the soul.

Spiritual emergencies may be classified as peak experiences, past-life experiences, channeling with spirit guides, Kundalini experiences, dark and night possessions, near-death experiences, UFO encounters, or drug and alcohol addictions.

It seems that a cultural basis might determine whether an experience is labeled psychotic or spiritual. For example, individuals such as shamans, prophets, spiritual teachers, saints, or luminaries may be considered brilliant because they transcend the human experience; yet others having similar experiences might be labeled psychotic even though both groups might benefit from, or become transformed by, the experience.

The full article can be found here -

Is It Psychosis or a Spiritual Emergency?

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Updated that copy of "The Madman" - post bits?

"Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect."

Edgar Allan Poe Quote

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From that madman page - hundreds of crazy quotes?? -

charles-horton-cooley-840517.jpg

TOP 25 MADNESS QUOTES (of 1000) | A-Z Quotes

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Posted madman into daze thread ...

But quite a few other links on that page -

What shamanic tricksters, holy fools for Christ, mad lamas, Zen masters, rascal gurus, and crazy-wise adepts have in common is a playful spirit that enables them to shun the mores of the ordinary world in order to fulfill their own spiritual calling. Many of them have dropped out of conventional society, are seeking enlightenment, or are instructing others. Radical questioning and sheer spontaneity are essential ingredients of holy madness. Here are a few of the contemporary crazy wisdom teachers he covers: Chogyam Trungpa, Georgei Ivanovitch Gurdjieff, Aleister Crowley, Bhagwan Rajneesh (Osho), Adi Da, Lee Lozowick, Sathya Sai Baba, and Shoko Asahara. The author's comments on guru-centric spirituality, community, and the path of discipleship and obedience grow out of his experiences with Adi Da.

Could do a thread of holy madness - the book is one of a number of sites etc ...

Holy Madness | Book Reviews | Books | Spirituality & Practice

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Good therapy happiness - another great hunch?? After the rain dampened my spirits a bit but only 4 a short while

Taking the time to process feelings can also help you get into a happier mindset more easily. There’s no reason to feel bad about feeling bad, said Kathleen Dahlen deVos, a psychotherapist based in San Francisco. She calls accepting negative feelings “emotional fluency,” which means experiencing your emotions “without judgment or attachment.” This allows you to learn from them, use them or move on from them more easily, Dahlen deVos said.

9 Things Therapists Do When They Want To Feel Happier

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"From recent emails? -

"The truly SAD thing is that they don't believe they deserve anything better."

Try - stillness speaks.com books?

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
Here is a heavily-edited version of a MUCH longer poem I wrote when I was really "psychotic".

I realise most folks have a fairly brief attention-span these days :)

Schizophrenia

I used to walk down the street
And scream at everyone I meet
So they locked me away
From the world every day

I crawled through the walls
So they showed me some normals
They strangled my mind
To help me unwind

I used to think I was a robot from outer space
With wires in my head and a little plastic face
I used to believe I had such magic powers
Which I would gladly practice for many hours

I am a human experimental life-form
My blood flows backwards to keep me warm
People ask me if I can save the world
I tell them to leave all the flags unfurled
Well said. Thank you for your courage in sharing your journey with us here. I would hope you would share that elsewhere as well. Like perhaps support groups in forums dedicated to schizophrenia.

:hugehug:I pray you remain strong and blessed. Amen.