1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by Geoff-Allen, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Geoff-Allen

Geoff-Allen Resident megalomaniac

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    Universalist
  2. Geoff-Allen

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    Universalist
    From recent library sessions -

Here's a few - just a TINY fraction - of the random thoughts that just pop into my head when I least expect it -

Let's actually start with some advice Jacqueline gave me at our very first meeting - whenever I am strugggling with my thoughts - just remind myself that it's all part of the journey towards enlightenment even if that seems a million-miles-away!

Okay ... back to my stuff - again I take almost ZERO "credit" for these ideas - just like my poems I have little control over what pops into my mind in any-given-moment!

"If we all simply followed the Golden Rule, it would absolutely transform life on this planet"

Reminds me of a book by Gary Zukav - here he is on YouTube - click here

"Suffering can make you all bitter & twisted or it can make you far more compassionate. I have experienced both extremes in a single life-time!"

"There is a lot of tension in this world at-the-moment for the simple reason that most people are nowhere near as compassionate as they could possibly be."

"I agree with Eckhart Tolle in his writings - the human ego is THE bigest trouble-maker on this planet and we really need to do something about it."

Click here if you are curious about his teachings.

"Once upon a time, a man went totally berserk trying to get his poor, old brain 2 work!"

Remind me to put a couple more of those "mantras" - or just try Googling "Gibberish meditation" :)

I was just looking over some of my old "stuff" and had almost forgotten about this book few have heard of - I photocopied it years ago when I found it in the library and that was fortunate because when I went back to look for it no sign of it - maybe someone liked it so much they kept it ... anyway, the book is called "The Troubled Mind" by Solomon Snyder.

It was THE first book that even hinted that the phenomenon known as "schizophrenia" may not be properly understood by the mental health experts. Make up your own mind - here's a taste -

Since the beginnings of recorded history, man has been fascinated with the insane, with their deranged feeling, thinking, and behaviour. Insane people with fanciful delusions have at times attracted large numbers of adherents, who looked upon their psychotic leaders as prophets or as saviours of some sort. The alluring properties of the "prophet's" message may be more than just a beckoning of a way to escape from the boredom of everyday life. I suspect that many followers are riveted by a peculiarly intoxicating quality of psychotic ecstasy conveyed by the "mad" leader.

The psychiatric disease that converts man into an other-worldly creature - at once wiser than the wisest of the sane and yet so deeply troubled that he suffers more than a terminal cancer patient - is surely schizophrenia. Because of his bizarre loss of contact with everyday reality, the schizophrenic can appeal to us as a messiah bearing the message of the infinite. For our conception of the universe is bounded by the straitjacket of conventional thinking processes. A schizophrenic's self-perception is so fragmented that he seems to function at a different plane of consciousness from the rest of humanity. Some psychiatrists who have dealt extensively with schizophrenics even wonder whether the schizophrenic's "psychotic" perception of the world might not conform more to ultimate reality than does our sane vision.

May put more of my favourite quotes down the bottom of this page but getting back to my greatest "hits" -

"We do TEND to reserve our fondest thoughts for those who agree with us and who are most like us."

"People would treat each other FAR better if they fely genuinely happy within themselves."

"Love yourself with your imperfections so you can love other people with their imperfections."

"Conduct experiments on your own mind - that means observing your thoughts as they come and go and discovering which thoughts lead to peace-of-mind and which thoughts disturb your peace-of-mind - you may discover that peace of mind comes from thoughts of compassion, forgiveness, kindness & gratitude."

That's a paraphrasing of some of the Dalai Lama's advice ... if you wanna see more - try this site -

Click here

"You can't REALLY walk a mile in someone else's shoes unless you ACTUALLY become the other person. So, you would think and act exactly the same way they do."

"Criticising other people 4 their flaws & inadequacies is the perfect way to sabotage your own happiness. That is why this world is the way it is ...""

"Life is a series of opportunities to practice unconditional compassion."

"Be kind & gentle & patient with yourself - and with everybody else!"

"A good belief system is one that helps you to become a kinder & gentler & more comassionate human being."

"Many people are frustrated by their own suffering - even if it just the subtle suffering of not experiencing all the happiness you can imagine."

"Unfortunately it is fairly rare for people to respond to negativity with compassion."

"Many people experience a very poor quality of life because they are filled with SO much negativity."

"If it were easy to change your way of thinking, there would be no unhappy people in the world. After all, nobody in their right mind actually wants to be miserable."

"Without compassion, your relationships are likely to be stressful & difficult."

"You cannot expect to experience your full human potential as long as you insist on complaining or blaming or criticising your fellow-travellers."

"With an attitude like that, all you are really doing is sabotaging your own happiness."

"The kindest thing you could do for most people would be to show them how to develop wisdom & compassion because you know that they won't be truly happy until they do."

"What do I think? I think you take your opinions WAY too seriously. Most people do - that is why there are so FEW genuinely happy people in this world."

There is much more I could include but that may be enough 4 now ...

3. Geoff-Allen

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    Universalist
    Here's a few of the hundreds of places in cyberspace that I have visited over the years ... a full-list would keep you out-of-mischief for days or months!

Guide to happiness

I may give you a few more youtube pages - I am not addicted - I can stop ANY time I choose!

Greater Good is another wonderful site - Stacey Kennelly is one of their contributors

Tiny Buddha has a LOAD of great stuff - also checkout the menus at top-of-page!

There are also hundreds of contributions from a huge range of people - I could overwhelm you by sending all-of-them now but I am dfeeling kind at the moment so I will just post a couple ...

Learning acceptance

Amongst the several dozen books I have enjoyed over the past three-decades this is one of the best But I also like Power of Now & Conversations with God & The Lost Art of Compassion & many others!

Happiness pledge

How to Be Happy: The Fine Print - also from The Greater Good site!

I could always include some of the "alternative views" on mental Illness that I have found - quite a few - I think I told you about "Successful Schizophrenia" so here it is - it was the first glimpse I ever had that gave me real hope ...

Successful Schizophrenia

Check-out their books page too!

4. Geoff-Allen

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    Universalist
    Here's a few quotes I like - you can find dozens & dozens more at sites such as www.livinglifefully.com and www.tinybuddha.com

Firstly 2 by George Orwell:

"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them."

"All writers are vain, selfish and lazy, and at the very bottom of their motives lies a mystery. Writing a book is a long, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand."

From R.D. Laing -

"Modern society clamps a straitjacket of conformity on every child that's born. In the process, man's potentialities are devastated and the terms 'sanity' and 'madness' become ambiguous. The schizophrenic may simply be someone who has been unable to suppress his normal instincts and conform to an abnormal society."

Here's an excerpt from the script of the movie "Network" with Peter Finch. I'd like to get the book – I'm not sure who wroted it:

"I'm imbued with some special spirit. It's not a religious feeling at all. It's a shocking eruption of great electrical energy. I feel vivid and flashing as if suddenly I've been plugged into some great electromagnetic field. I feel connected to all living things – to flowers, birds … all the animals of the world. I'm linked to some great unseen living force – what I think the Hindus call Prana. But it's not a breakdown. I've never felt more orderly in my life. It is a shattering and beautiful sensation. It is the exulted flow of the space-time continuum, save that it is spaceless and timeless and of such loveliness … I feel on the verge of some great ultimate truth…."

"If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia."

~ Thomas Szasz

If you was interested I have compiled a larger selection in a file called "Words of Wisdom".

"There is in every madman a misunderstood genius whose idea, shining in his head, frightened people, and for whom delirium was the only solution to the strangulation that life had prepared for him."

"And what is an authentic madman? It is a man who preferred to become mad, in the socially accepted sense of the word, rather than forfeit a certain superior idea of human honor. So society has strangled in its asylums all those it wanted to get rid of or protect itself from, because they refused to become its accomplices in certain great nastinesses. For a madman is also a man whom society did not want to hear and whom it wanted to prevent from uttering certain intolerable truths."

Both by Antonin Artaud

"A friend is someone you can be alone with and have nothing to do and not be able to think of anything to say and be comfortable in the silence."

~ Sheryl Condie

"A friend is one who joyfully sings with you when you are on the mountaintop, and silently walks beside you through the valley."

~ William A. Ward

"Mindfulness is being aware of yourself, others, and your surroundings in the moment. When consciously and kindly focusing awareness on life as it unfolds minute by precious minute, you are better able to savor each experience. Also, being closely attentive gives you the opportunity to change unwise or painful feelings and responses quickly. In fact, being truly present in a mindful way is an excellent stress reducer and, because of that, can be seen as consciousness conditioning, a strengthening workout for body, mind, heart, and spirit."

~ Sue Patton Thoele

“Meditation is like giving a hug to ourselves, getting in touch with that awesome reality in us. While meditating we feel a deep sense of intimacy with God, a love that is inexplicable.”

Paramhamsa Yogananda

"Mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different; enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will); being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won't)."

~ James Baraz

"Willingly greeting our fears and weaknesses with openness, acceptance, and respect is one of the hardest tasks mindfulness asks of us and one of the most freeing practices we can undertake. Sitting in stillness with our sorrow and shame, our fear and judgment laid bare is an act of courage."

~ Sue Patton Thoele

If you're learning, growing and trying new things - expect mistakes. They're a natural part of the learning process. In fact, someone once said, "If you're not making at least 50 mistakes a day, you're not trying hard enough." What the person meant, we think, is that growth, discovery and expansion have mistakes built into them.

To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all.

~ John-Roger and Peter McWilliams

"There is something quite powerful and life-giving in the act of giving thanks. It is a lot like recharging a battery. As you open your mind and let your heart sing for joy, you can receive a recharging of spiritual energy in your mind, body, spirit, and activities of your daily life. There is no greater tonic and perhaps no more potent tonic for our spirit than gratitude. When we are grateful for the blessings we already have, our very attitude of gratitude attracts extra good to us. Thanksgiving is like a powerful magnet that can draw us to friends, love, peace, joy, health, and material good."

~ John Marks Templeton

I have plenty more but I figured I would stop there ...

Here's a little taste of the kind of things I like 2 post 2 the Spiritual Forum -

Don't feel obligated to read every post - some of them are long - just look for Geoff-Allen because he is one of the few human beings that actually makes sense!

Are we asking the wrong questions

Posts about treating people with kindness

Gratitude thread that I started - then just kept finding places on the web that say gratitude is one of the keys to peace-of-mind.

This one is a bit long too - poems etc about the experience of schizophrenia - at its worst & at its best!

A thread with a little of everything - YouTube and philosophy and quotes you won't see in most books ... also some of the greatest genius who EVER held a tennis racquet. It is rather long so don't feel you are obligated to read them all ...

Looking for a few laughs?

A thread focusing on man's best friend

That is probly MORE than enough at this stage. It's good to see a range of opinions & beliefs even if some of the people get a little heated at times :)

Check-out "The Adventure of being human" - if I remember to edit it and stick it on this usb ... it's a mind-blower - well it WAS for me - your experience may not be the same :)

5. Geoff-Allen

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    Universalist
  6. Geoff-Allen

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    Universalist
  7. Geoff-Allen

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    Universalist
  8. Geoff-Allen

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    Universalist
    "Unattractive people probably want sex at least as much as the attractive people but they usually have 2 settle for far-less than what they would really prefer.""

These following are just my latest hunches - HARD to go past happiness hits!!! ... also hard to do much bettter than the mindfulness required to ask whether your thoughts & words & deeds are motivated by the big 4 as much as you can manage ...

How to raise happiness set point

Soul awakening - a few?

Become a better human being

Raise children to be happy

Happiness mastery mind

universoulawakening quotes?

Better way to pursue happiness - from hits?

How to raise happiness set point?

Questions happy life? - for questions htm tooo???

"Once upon a time, my little doctor showed me how 2 SCREAM like the only madman."

"WIRE - flow plus pattern!"

Then for settle for happiness thread? - some of above ...

And yet the project of being good is as vital, or even more important, for the individual and society as is the project of being healthy. Yet while we have no problem with going to the gym to get fitter, it sounds deeply weird, even creepy, to suggest that one might ‘work’ at being better or nicer.

How to Become a Better Person - The Book of Life

Do a thread???

CALL it ten virtues for the modern age???? ---->