• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scariest Horror Games

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
When it comes to the horde, you get some explosives and flammables to set up to help you out, you throw a switch or lever or whatever, and the game warns you to get ready because all hell is about to break loose.

Oh hell no. So much nope.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I loved watching people play this game. I watched 4 different playthroughs lol.

Hey, actually...without giving too much away, how different were the playthroughs in terms of storylines?
I've wondered how much it changes based on decisions.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Hey, actually...without giving too much away, how different were the playthroughs in terms of storylines?
I've wondered how much it changes based on decisions.

Basically, really really bad stuff can happen to particular people if you eff up choices.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Dead Space
Visage
Observer
Outlast 2
Resident Evil 2 remake
Soma

(Visage is so scary that I have to play it during the daytime without my earbuds just to get through it. Playing it at night, alone in the dark with the sound cranked up on my earbuds made me put it off for months, and that's really saying something. It's an extremely disturbing and unnerving game. The tension actually wears you out.)

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Other mentions:

Manhunt and Manhunt 2 are also brilliant horror games. Manhunt 2 is so controversial that Rockstar still hasn't released it uncut or ported it to newer consoles, which is really saying something. It's sad because Manhunt 2 had a really good story that was intense and disturbing. It was way better than the first and really affected me just on my PSP when it first came out. I've only played through it once when it first came out and never forgotten it.

The Suffering has always been one of my favorite games since it came out in 2004 or so.

I've never played the original Silent Hill 2 on PS2, but I have the HD release that many apparently hate. Even still, I can see why it's considered a classic and it's still completely unnerving and anxiety-inducing.

The Evil Within is a recent classic that seemed to have helped start the recent revival of survival horror, and is a shining example of it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What are the scariest horror games you have ever played? I have recently been watching videos from Outlast and both Amnesia games, and that is some pretty damn scary stuff right there. I'm curious what others here find to be the scariest games they have played.
System Shock back in the day.
The Suffering back in the day.

Resident evil in VR was quite an experience.

The Arma UFO mod as well.

Siren. Great Japanese horror game.

Last was Dying light 1. At night.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Other mentions:

Manhunt and Manhunt 2 are also brilliant horror games. Manhunt 2 is so controversial that Rockstar still hasn't released it uncut or ported it to newer consoles, which is really saying something. It's sad because Manhunt 2 had a really good story that was intense and disturbing. It was way better than the first and really affected me just on my PSP when it first came out. I've only played through it once when it first came out and never forgotten it.

The Suffering has always been one of my favorite games since it came out in 2004 or so.

I've never played the original Silent Hill 2 on PS2, but I have the HD release that many apparently hate. Even still, I can see why it's considered a classic and it's still completely unnerving and anxiety-inducing.

The Evil Within is a recent classic that seemed to have helped start the recent revival of survival horror, and is a shining example of it.

Kudos to The Suffering. That was a wild game.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

System Shock is a good one. I recently got 1 amd 2, the original amd enhanced versions, for pretty cheap on GoG.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Dead Space
Visage
Observer
Outlast 2
Resident Evil 2 remake
Soma

(Visage is so scary that I have to play it during the daytime without my earbuds just to get through it. Playing it at night, alone in the dark with the sound cranked up on my earbuds made me put it off for months, and that's really saying something. It's an extremely disturbing and unnerving game. The tension actually wears you out.)

I've been looking at Visage as an entry into horror games. I'm a huge fan of horror movies but have always been unable to handle the tension of horror games when I've tried them; the last one I finished was Layers of Fear back in 2016.

Would you say that Visage would be a good starting point? The supernatural, haunted-house theme is one I always look for in horror movies, so that's right up my alley too.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Japanese horror is brilliant. Siren looked quite eerie back in the day.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Other mentions:

2003-2013 Rockstar were so good. They released a lot of unique games covering various genres, from Midnight Club and Bully to the whole 3D era of the Grand Theft Auto series and Manhunt/Manhunt 2.

Nowadays they release one or two big games every console generation and then milk them until the next generation comes out.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I've been looking at Visage as an entry into horror games. I'm a huge fan of horror movies but have always been unable to handle the tension of horror games when I've tried them; the last one I finished was Layers of Fear back in 2016.

Would you say that Visage would be a good starting point? The supernatural, haunted-house theme is one I always look for in horror movies, so that's right up my alley too.
Play another game first. Visage may be too scary for a newcomer. :D

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Play another game first. Visage may be too scary for a newcomer. :D

I suspected as much. That was also why I didn't start with Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Maybe I'll look for some lighter/shorter game to start with.

The themes themselves aren't an issue for me, since I can handle them pretty consistently in horror movies. It's the added tension from being in control during the events. Video games are just a much more immersive medium for horror, in my opinion (and also one that's worse for health, depending on how you look at it :D).

Gargovic Malkav

I suspected as much. That was also why I didn't start with Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Maybe I'll look for some lighter/shorter game to start with.

I may know a few horror games that aren't scary or too scary per se, but still are pretty good imo:

Not too long ago I finished the game "Mothered - A Role-Playing Horror Game".
Don't let the primitive graphics and level design fool you, it actually adds to the uncanny atmosphere of the game.

There's "House of Ashes", which imo wasn't really scary but still fun to play.
It's more of a choose your own adventure "movie", but still can get tense at times because you'll likely want to make sure all the main characters survive and get the best ending. It's got quick-time events in it though, which is not everyone's cup of tea.
Though I think such mechanisms in these kinds of games fit in well.

There's "Buddy Simulator 1984"
A game where you get your own virtual buddy and become BFF's.
The story's really good.

As a Junji Ito fan and someone with a soft spot for pixel graphics/retro styled games, I'd also like to mention "World of Horror".
It's still in early access and development is slow though, but very much playable.

Oh, and "Pamali" may be worth mentioning too.
It's a small exploration game where you have to respect the customs according to Indonesian tradition, lest you might **** of the spirit that haunts the place.