• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scariest Horror Games

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What are the scariest horror games you have ever played? I have recently been watching videos from Outlast and both Amnesia games, and that is some pretty damn scary stuff right there. I'm curious what others here find to be the scariest games they have played.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I'm thinking of picking up Monstrum on Steam.

I've got the files for "Slender: The Eight Pages" somewhere on my computer. That was pretty intense for the first few runs.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Slender: The Eight Pages is one I keep having to put down because of nerves. LOL

The game that I'm still too scared to play at all is I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The Crimson Butterfly games are the only games that I have played, that while I wouldn't say they are scary, they get pretty tense and creepy at times.

vaguelyhumanoid

Neverending Nightmares looks really harsh because it's so real. I don't plan on playing it for psychological reasons.

Out of games I have played, Mondo Agency, SCP: Containment Breach and 1914: Der unbekannte Krieg are all doozies. Eversion's also nice in terms of slowly creeping horror. It's not conventionally scary while you're playing it but I found myself having nightmares after spending a lot of time trying to 100% it. (Note that I'm talking about the original freeware version - the HD version looks a lot less subtle and unsettling, though I haven't played it myself..)

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Dunno but for some reason I don't see scary games (of the ones I saw) these days. Last ones I know of are the Silent Hill games and the early Resident Evil games (suspense more than scary). The games that really really scared the cats and dogs outta me (whatever that expression means) are the first 3 games of classic Splatter House. Hand drawn horror are always always scarier to me than 3D ones. It always looked artistic and clearer/more detailed to me. I remember some of those at the arcades.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Haven't played this, but from the reviews I've read this game is supposed to be pretty scary: http://store.steampowered.com/app/391720/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Thread bump!

I'm about to get Layers of Fear. Recently, I have been watching quite a lot of horror game videos, and the idea of playing some myself is looking better and better.

I'm easily scared by horror stuff, though. I think I was traumatized by the Doom games as a child, because I literally couldn't sleep alone in the dark for years as a result of playing them at such a young age, even though I used to be able to before playing them. Hopefully my revisiting the genre will go well. :D

Erebus

What are the scariest horror games you have ever played? I have recently been watching videos from Outlast and both Amnesia games, and that is some pretty damn scary stuff right there. I'm curious what others here find to be the scariest games they have played.

Both good games. Amnesia does a fantastic job of getting under your skin and building atmosphere. Outlast is probably more jumpy than truly frightening, but still a good game.

I'd also recommend Condemned: Criminal Origins and to a lesser extent, Condemned 2: Bloodshot. The second one starts off very strong, but sadly kind of goes off the rails by the end.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
How about all the games lol. I tried the demo of Amnesia the Dark Descent and nearly crapped my pants. I got through a few minutes of left for dead. I bailed after having a huge mob of zombies kill me twice. Too intense lol. I haven't touched a horror game since but I do love watching youtubers play them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I got through a few minutes of left for dead. I bailed after having a huge mob of zombies kill me twice.
The witches in those games are definitely creepy as hell, hearing their cries echo, that look they give you, and then claws.
I actually like playing those games drunk, because for some reason I get in the mood to play shooters when I drink, and there is definitely no shortage of things to shoot in those games.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
The witches in those games are definitely creepy as hell, hearing their cries echo, that look they give you, and then claws.
I actually like playing those games drunk, because for some reason I get in the mood to play shooters when I drink, and there is definitely no shortage of things to shoot in those games.

I got as far as the first room lol. I was absolutely cacking my dacks after shooting the first zombie and then hearing the mob breaking through a wall. Running zombies are freaking terrifying.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I got as far as the first room lol. I was absolutely cacking my dacks after shooting the first zombie and then hearing the mob breaking through a wall. Running zombies are freaking terrifying.
You never got to fight the horde then? Oh my god! Even on easy it's a flood of zombies bum rushing you relentlessly from everywhere.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Isnt that what the girst group are? Or does it get worse lol. Hell to the no!
When it comes to the horde, you get some explosives and flammables to set up to help you out, you throw a switch or lever or whatever, and the game warns you to get ready because all hell is about to break loose.