• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scared Of Church

ReligionNomore665

What is Religion Anymore?
Curious; why do you believe in the devil, but are more sceptical of a God? And why do you call Jesus (or is it God, or both?) as "the Lord"?

If you believe that you're under some kind of demonic possession or influence, although I don't believe you are, I'd suggest you try and find out why you think that may be the case, possibly going to a counsellor or therapist would be your best bet.

I would not suggest that you hop into a church just yet, especially form an "exorcism" or a blessing, and if you did, I would encourage you to visit a more.. liberal one, like an Espicopalian, or Liberal Catholic one (less inclined to throw you down and start speaking in tongues :D) would be your best bet? Even if there are no sinister or supernatural forces forces at work here, it may help to visit some that are less mmm... coo-coo so you can see not all denominations of Christianity are as.. odd as some of the Pentecostal ones.

My own view, though, is if you have these feelings towards Christianity, perhaps Christianity isn't right for you. Try and evaluate what it is you believe, and if you feel up to it, share it here. :)

Well, I believe in the devil only because I believe there is absolute evil in the world. Also, I believe there is a "God" but I don't think he is what they say he is. Honestly, I believe that he is just as "evil" if not worse as the devil. My thoughts of this is because bad things can happen to good people/innocent people and I know that all that is not only of the devil's work. If "God" was as great as everyone says, he'd save those people need be saved. Or prevent them from any harm. But he doesn't, therefore, it makes me believe that he isn't what they say he truly is.

And I agree, I don't believe Christianity is for me...not anymore anyway. I will definitely do some research of other religions that fit my beliefe. But I don't find myself stepping onto a path for "Jesus" anymore. Because of the fact that I really don't believe he is what everyone says he is. And I refuse to form my own interpretation of him.

And as for the bible, my boyfriend had mentioned this to me, one of the "commandmants" or whatever they are called is thou shall not kill. But in the bible, the story of David and Goliath, David killed Goliath (or the other way around, I think i got them mixed up), so I also don't want to go by a "hypocritical" book. To me, (and Im not judging every christian), but all christians I've met have been nothing but pure hypocrites. I don't want to worship along side with them.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Well, I believe in the devil only because I believe there is absolute evil in the world. Also, I believe there is a "God" but I don't think he is what they say he is. Honestly, I believe that he is just as "evil" if not worse as the devil. My thoughts of this is because bad things can happen to good people/innocent people and I know that all that is not only of the devil's work. If "God" was as great as everyone says, he'd save those people need be saved. Or prevent them from any harm. But he doesn't, therefore, it makes me believe that he isn't what they say he truly is.

And I agree, I don't believe Christianity is for me...not anymore anyway. I will definitely do some research of other religions that fit my beliefe. But I don't find myself stepping onto a path for "Jesus" anymore. Because of the fact that I really don't believe he is what everyone says he is. And I refuse to form my own interpretation of him.

And as for the bible, my boyfriend had mentioned this to me, one of the "commandmants" or whatever they are called is thou shall not kill. But in the bible, the story of David and Goliath, David killed Goliath (or the other way around, I think i got them mixed up), so I also don't want to go by a "hypocritical" book. To me, (and Im not judging every christian), but all christians I've met have been nothing but pure hypocrites. I don't want to worship along side with them.
I hope you don't mind my asking, but, how old are you?

horizon_mj1

Church Scares Me, from what I got from your experiences, maybe you have within yourself to have a relationship with God. One thing that turned me away from organized religions is that they claim to have the ability to decide for God and believe they are right in doing so. From what I have learned, isn't that God's decision, one not to be made by man? Please do me a favor. What ever religious doctorine you have felt drawn to, look it up and research it. It seems to me that you really want a personal insight and no one can tell you better where to start than yourself.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Have you tried the Belief-o-Matic quiz, church?

Belief-O-Matic- Beliefnet.com is where it is if you feel like trying it. It may nudge you 'in the right direction' to give you an idea of religions you have something in common with. Christianity doesn't really sound like it's going down too well with you. Feel free to share your results. :D

Without wishing to sound patronising as that is not my intention, I would also recommend you have some form of counselling if possible.

ReligionNomore665

Have you tried the Belief-o-Matic quiz, church?

Thanks for the suggestion. I went and took the quiz because I was curious of what it would say, and my 100% top choice on the list was:
Theravada Buddhism

I have yet to research what that religion is like, but I will most definitely look into the ones it has listed. I went down the list and Christianity was not on there anywhere, so I'm guessing that Christianity isn't my true religion after all. The second religion it gave me on the list was:
Unitarian Universalism

Though half of these religions I haven't even heard of.

Again, thanks for the suggestion, it helped further my research.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Welcome :)

I'd suggest you check out the top five, or even top ten - you may find Theravada Buddhism is great, but ultimately not for you, but the second one is for you, even if there's a few minor things here and there you disagree with.

xkatz

Sounds like you've got a phobia...I think fear of gods/religion is called theophobia...a fear of divine spiders would be arachnotheophobia.

I think I have Japanocacoagateohydrocoulrotheophobia... The fear of ugly insane divine Japanese water clowns.

ReligionNomore665

Welcome :)

I'd suggest you check out the top five, or even top ten - you may find Theravada Buddhism is great, but ultimately not for you, but the second one is for you, even if there's a few minor things here and there you disagree with.

Honestly, I was quite satisfied with the Buddhism description, though when I read about the second one, I was quite disatisfied. But I'm not going to stick to just Buddhism, I'm going to research more than one. I also plan on researching Non-Theism.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Honestly, I was quite satisfied with the Buddhism description, though when I read about the second one, I was quite disatisfied. But I'm not going to stick to just Buddhism, I'm going to research more than one. I also plan on researching Non-Theism.
I get you. Sometimes some of them can be things we dislike, but I've usually found the top few are kind of accurate. I usually remove "Unitarian Universalism" from that list, though, lol - it's too broad to be meaningful to me.

If you don't mind me suggesting, as well as Theravada Buddhism, I think it may be worth checking out Taoism, as well. Perhaps if you're still not sure, other ones - but don't put too much on your plate at once. :D

Luminous

non-existential luminary
The Lord is with all those who confess Agnosticism.
Its seams you have the rare ability of being alergic to b.s. or "battlemind" as some called it.
Yes, it seems you have developed a phobia and that you have some OCD tendencies, very normal but they should be delt with...you don't want them to get worse.
The thought of "the devil" is liberation to you because it settles your "battlemind" in that it proves that christianity is B.S.
Discordianism seems to be your view, if you think God is just as evil if not moreso than the devil. you could also look into the noble left hand path if you wish. but Agnosticism is good.
its very likely that the cognitive dissonance is very hard for you to handle. Buddhism seems to work also because it is so very untheistic. The believe-o-mat told me I was theravada buddhist too... but I know that I am Agnostic. Anyway, you live in Rome, and the Romans have their own culture and self-congratulating ideas...it is best that you learn to live with that and not work yourself up too much over it, if you feel it is your duty to be true then be true.
Also, I was also called "our next pastor" by some at the church i used to go to. The whole time I was Agnostic and had that feeling deep within my heart. I saw the rest of them being ugly fruit and hypocrites and i never really had fear or anger, mostly just pity...pity(for myself for being there, as well as for them for being so fake, deluded, or unwell.