• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scared Of Church

ReligionNomore665

What is Religion Anymore?
Hello. I just recently joined because I am hoping to seek some answers about my "religious" issue. I was unsure of where to post, but this discussion thread seemed best fit.

I was born and raised a baptist. For as long as I could remember when I was a little girl, I loved everything about church and talk about Jesus. I prayed everynight before going to sleep and I felt okay with God. Though, when I grew up and exited my "little girl" stage and I met this girl who I thought was quite interesting.

At first, I didn't understand why she wore skirts all the time and she explained to me that she was pentecostal. I became great friends with her and began going to church with her as well. This was new to me, because I had no idea how pentecostal people worshipped. Though, once I was inside the church and the preacher began speaking, I became overwhelmed with some type of fear. I remember when my sister joined me once at my friend's church and the people began to "shake" and talk in another language that I did not understand. My sister and I were scared to death and so uncomfortable in that enviorment. She and I pressed ourselves against the wall, very anxious to leave. Ever since that day, I never again stepped foot into my friend's church.

Since that incident, I began questioning everything about religion. I even stopped going to church all together. Though, another friend of mine convinced me to go with her to hers, and I thought all was okay again, because it was a baptist type church. One I thought I was used to. Once I arrived, I stood outside the church and began shaking. I did not want to go inside. I grew extremely nervous and had the urge to turn back and go home. My friend came out and got me and took me inside. I began getting used to that church and began liking it. One day, I even asked the youth leader to "save" me. Thinking that would work, I went through with it and felt quite proud of myself. I also explained to the youth leader about how I was scared to enter the church and she told me that it was the devil letting me know that he did not want me to go. Though something happened a few weeks later that is still confusing to me this day. I never returned to that church. Never again.

A lot has happened since then. I have never entered a church since then and I refuse to enter one. The thought of it terrifies me. My body shakes upon the thought of ever going into one. I also become very uncomfortable when people around me are talking about God or Jesus. I feel so uncomfortable that I want to leave the room.

Another incident, I joined my mother and her boyfriend whie they went to her boyfriend's grandfather's house on Christmas. I learned that his grandfather is a preacher, and the thought of that made my stomach turn. I entered the house and everywhere I looked, I saw crosses, pictures of Jesus, bibles, etc. I suddenly became very uncomfortable. Towards the end of the get together, before everyone left, his grandfather (the preacher) asked everyone to bow their heads and he began to pray. Though, my head remained upwards. I looked around the room, my eyes as wide as they could get as I examined everyone as they listened to the preacher. I became very uncomfortable within that instant and wanted to leave the house. When they said their "Amens" I remained silent with no response. I did not say Amen, and did not want to.

A similar incident happened recently while I was at school during lunch. A friend of mine decided he wanted to do something he hadn't done in a very long time. He asked my other friends and myself if we would join him in prayer before we ate. My friends agreed, but I did not. My best friend tried to grab my hand and I immediately snatched my hand away and crossed my arms. I told them over and over that I didn't feel comfortable doing that. They begged and begged me to join them in prayer and I completely refused.

I also, sit here thinking now, about the day of my Senior Breakfast coming up soon. The location is inside of a church and the thought of entering a church again sends chills up and down my spine. I had a conversation about it with my boyfriend and while doing so, my body shook so badly that I looked like I was shaking from being cold, but I was not. I was shaking with fear. I don't understand why I behave in this manner, and I do not know what happened in order to cause me to be scared of church and people talking about Jesus and God. Nothing really scared me to the point of hiding and crying forever, but the thought of entering a church and hearing prayers and talk about the Lord makes me want to cry because of how scared I am. I almost bursted into fearful tears while talking to my boyfriend about it. I do not know what to do. I am completely terrified.

Though, the weird thing is, when the talk of the Devil gets brought up, I'm no longer scared. I feel okay. I believe it's quite weird, because I never acted in that manner when I was a little girl.

Please, I'm looking for help and seeking answers, but I'm afraid to talk to those around me because I'm terrified that they might throw the Lord in my face. I'm asking for some answers, please.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I have similar feelings when I enter a church building, although mine are more akin to rage than fear.

You are not alone, and furthermore, you are righteous in your staunch resistance to the advances made by the people you described. Church is something to be reviled and feared; all of this talk of the "devil" by your youth leader is cultist nonsense and should be greeted either with laughter or harsh reprimanding (your choice).

(If you're wanting a physical or psychological explanation for your fear, I'm not entirely sure. Fundamentalist preachers have been known to use hypnosis and neurolinguistic programming to advance their agenda, so it's possible that your innate fear of church may stem from an unintended post-hypnotic suggestion. I know it sounds a bit silly, but that's my only idea...)

AllanV

If you go into a church you will not know consciously who your enemy is. Believe what is happening to you and stay away. There is no need to over think this.
I believe that the Bible is true as far as it is understood. But the Christians have interpreted it the way they do in a wrong manner. They generate their own spirit. Read the Bible yourself and ask to be shown. You may receive a blessing. If it comes into your mind that Jesus is or could be true you should be baptized but that is all.

The world isn't a safe place at all, it is not just the Church. They do teach some good things as far as morals go, but we are all human.

Keep safe.

Last edited:
I once went to a church in which the people were "talking in tongues." It is fake most of the time, I assure you. The man who took me there was extremely fake. He desired to sleep with every woman he met, and works for Dick Cheney's pipeline in Iraq. Please don't let them deter you from God. There are many hypocrites in religion, but God knows their hearts and yours as well. If you seek him earnestly he will respond.

Peace and love

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
wow, what an interesting experience you are having with churches.

I wonder if your experience with the pentecostal churches has caused your fear. Many years ago my step father's mother came to stay with us...she was some kind of pentecostal...she was a scary woman!! When she started talking about the bible i remember how here eyes flared up and opened so wide they were like 2 golf balls sitting in her eye sockets. I was only young, but after all these years i can still see her so vividly.

These sorts of experiences can have long term effects on us. It could be that you've developed a phobia. That could explain the fear you feel...perhaps you relive those earlier visits to the pentecostal church and it triggers the fear in you. I have never seen people talking in tongues personally, but i've heard first hand accounts from people who have, and it is a very scary and abnormal thing that is going on.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
If you're around the super-religious Pentecostal types, it's going to be scary for you.

My advice is, if you want to enter a church, try a more liberal one. I'd suggest visiting say, an Episcopalian or Quaker one. I went to a Pentecostal church, and I find out quite uncomfortable myself. My wife and I left, quickly and secretively, never to go back.

BUT, if you don't believe in Christianity, for example, don't bother. You can't force yourself to believe something you don't. It will only end in frustration.

If you don't, try and figure out what you do believe, remembering there is more than just Christianity out there.

Wishing you luck. :)

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Have you considered the possibility that these early experiences have caused you to developed a phobia or irrational fear that's causing you stress and interfering with relationships? Have you tried any therapeutic approaches?

Phobias are often accompanied by other irrational fears or compulsive behavior and can grow to be quite debilitating.

unique75

I had a Dream...., Practices of a certain Church were unveiled unto my eyes.... And, there on the altar, nowhere the clean arrangement of the Bible, wine cup etc. In its lieu, laid a (sacrifisal lamb) Woman tied on both hands and legs. The Priest now in black garb holding a dagger in upraised hand.........., I've seen this horrifying picture.....

ReligionNomore665

Thanks all of you for your advice and help.

Your advice was very helpful, though I believe there is something more than just my fear keeping me away from churches and the Lord himself. I believe it is a more "spiritual" reason than a fearful one.

I have noticed something else I have done here recently...

A friend of mine had spoken of the Lord and Jesus and aimed it at me (though I had forgotten the reason) and I immediately said (pardon my language) "Hell no!" and walked away. If I can rememeber correctly, my friend said something along the lines of "Jesus is here for you" or something and I immediately responded with the "Hell no" and became very offended. I do this every time somebody mentions Him to me. Honestly, I don't believe my fear of churches has anything to do with my sudden hate for Him. When I hear someone having a conversation about the Lord, I laugh or snicker, and I don't even do it intentionally...It just comes out.

Another thing I have noticed that could tie into my issue is that I'm not scared of what other people are normally scared of, such as:
the dark
ghosts
the Devil
demons
horror films
activities on halloween (ps Halloween is my favorite holiday, and it is also known as Devil's Night)

I keep wondering to myself why I'm not scared of things such as this, and these are the most popular fears.

I've almost got myself convinced that the devil has somewhat a tie into this issue. I'm not one to believe that the Devil can control my body or mind or anything, but could it be that I'm slipping into his hold somehow?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Personally, I don't think so. I don't believe the devil exists.

Are you sure that it's Jesus himself that makes you snicker, or the way people interpret him? Which is it that offends or irritates you most of all?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Fundamentalist churches scare me too. Pentecostal is about as fundamentalist as they come

fenrisx

Fundamentalist churches scare me too. Pentecostal is about as fundamentalist as they come

I was raised episcopal and then congregational, the more liberal end of protestantism and thus I didnt see that side of things but can understand why you do, fundies are scarey in their own right.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Sounds like you've got a phobia...I think fear of gods/religion is called theophobia...a fear of divine spiders would be arachnotheophobia.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I was raised episcopal and then congregational, the more liberal end of protestantism and thus I didnt see that side of things but can understand why you do, fundies are scarey in their own right.

I was also raised Episcopalian :)

ReligionNomore665

Personally, I don't think so. I don't believe the devil exists.

Are you sure that it's Jesus himself that makes you snicker, or the way people interpret him? Which is it that offends or irritates you most of all?

Well, I do believe in the devil. But, I'm not sure if it's the Lord himself causing me to snicker or how people express Him. Just like a few minutes ago, I was talking to my boyfriend on the phone and he told me about people trying to make him go to church and he mentioned that his dad said that he was going to drag him there. When my boyfriend told me this, I thought I was going to die of laughter (though, after stating the fact that it wasn't right that they were doing him that way). My boyfriend's beliefes are similar to mine, though he is more interested in religion and I think he believes in the Lord more than I do.
I honestly do believe that this may be a phobia, but I'm also convinced that it's something more as well.

As to answer you question though, I'm highly offended/irritated when people push the Lord onto me, tells me that He loves me, tries to get me to pray when I am unwilling to, people who talk about their opinions of the Lord, people who have conversations about him (that I'm not a part of-I'm just over hearing), or anything related to him. I snicker at the sight of a cross, a church, a "painting" of Him, the bible. I can recall back to one time when I was packing up my belongings, because I had to move, and I was going through my books and came across my bible I had when I was little. I had two seperate boxes, one to take with me to the new place, and one to put in storage. I threw the bible into the storage box without regret. But when I was little, i kept that bible under my pillow everynight. Now, i can careless if I have it or not. To me, it's a made up story that isn't true. Is it right to feel that way?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Curious; why do you believe in the devil, but are more sceptical of a God? And why do you call Jesus (or is it God, or both?) as "the Lord"?

If you believe that you're under some kind of demonic possession or influence, although I don't believe you are, I'd suggest you try and find out why you think that may be the case, possibly going to a counsellor or therapist would be your best bet.

I would not suggest that you hop into a church just yet, especially form an "exorcism" or a blessing, and if you did, I would encourage you to visit a more.. liberal one, like an Espicopalian, or Liberal Catholic one (less inclined to throw you down and start speaking in tongues :D) would be your best bet? Even if there are no sinister or supernatural forces forces at work here, it may help to visit some that are less mmm... coo-coo so you can see not all denominations of Christianity are as.. odd as some of the Pentecostal ones.

My own view, though, is if you have these feelings towards Christianity, perhaps Christianity isn't right for you. Try and evaluate what it is you believe, and if you feel up to it, share it here. :)

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Hello. I just recently joined because I am hoping to seek some answers about my "religious" issue. I was unsure of where to post, but this discussion thread seemed best fit.

I was born and raised a baptist. For as long as I could remember when I was a little girl, I loved everything about church and talk about Jesus. I prayed everynight before going to sleep and I felt okay with God. Though, when I grew up and exited my "little girl" stage and I met this girl who I thought was quite interesting.

At first, I didn't understand why she wore skirts all the time and she explained to me that she was pentecostal. I became great friends with her and began going to church with her as well. This was new to me, because I had no idea how pentecostal people worshipped. Though, once I was inside the church and the preacher began speaking, I became overwhelmed with some type of fear. I remember when my sister joined me once at my friend's church and the people began to "shake" and talk in another language that I did not understand. My sister and I were scared to death and so uncomfortable in that enviorment. She and I pressed ourselves against the wall, very anxious to leave. Ever since that day, I never again stepped foot into my friend's church.

Since that incident, I began questioning everything about religion. I even stopped going to church all together. Though, another friend of mine convinced me to go with her to hers, and I thought all was okay again, because it was a baptist type church. One I thought I was used to. Once I arrived, I stood outside the church and began shaking. I did not want to go inside. I grew extremely nervous and had the urge to turn back and go home. My friend came out and got me and took me inside. I began getting used to that church and began liking it. One day, I even asked the youth leader to "save" me. Thinking that would work, I went through with it and felt quite proud of myself. I also explained to the youth leader about how I was scared to enter the church and she told me that it was the devil letting me know that he did not want me to go. Though something happened a few weeks later that is still confusing to me this day. I never returned to that church. Never again.

A lot has happened since then. I have never entered a church since then and I refuse to enter one. The thought of it terrifies me. My body shakes upon the thought of ever going into one. I also become very uncomfortable when people around me are talking about God or Jesus. I feel so uncomfortable that I want to leave the room.

Another incident, I joined my mother and her boyfriend whie they went to her boyfriend's grandfather's house on Christmas. I learned that his grandfather is a preacher, and the thought of that made my stomach turn. I entered the house and everywhere I looked, I saw crosses, pictures of Jesus, bibles, etc. I suddenly became very uncomfortable. Towards the end of the get together, before everyone left, his grandfather (the preacher) asked everyone to bow their heads and he began to pray. Though, my head remained upwards. I looked around the room, my eyes as wide as they could get as I examined everyone as they listened to the preacher. I became very uncomfortable within that instant and wanted to leave the house. When they said their "Amens" I remained silent with no response. I did not say Amen, and did not want to.

A similar incident happened recently while I was at school during lunch. A friend of mine decided he wanted to do something he hadn't done in a very long time. He asked my other friends and myself if we would join him in prayer before we ate. My friends agreed, but I did not. My best friend tried to grab my hand and I immediately snatched my hand away and crossed my arms. I told them over and over that I didn't feel comfortable doing that. They begged and begged me to join them in prayer and I completely refused.

I also, sit here thinking now, about the day of my Senior Breakfast coming up soon. The location is inside of a church and the thought of entering a church again sends chills up and down my spine. I had a conversation about it with my boyfriend and while doing so, my body shook so badly that I looked like I was shaking from being cold, but I was not. I was shaking with fear. I don't understand why I behave in this manner, and I do not know what happened in order to cause me to be scared of church and people talking about Jesus and God. Nothing really scared me to the point of hiding and crying forever, but the thought of entering a church and hearing prayers and talk about the Lord makes me want to cry because of how scared I am. I almost bursted into fearful tears while talking to my boyfriend about it. I do not know what to do. I am completely terrified.

Though, the weird thing is, when the talk of the Devil gets brought up, I'm no longer scared. I feel okay. I believe it's quite weird, because I never acted in that manner when I was a little girl.

Please, I'm looking for help and seeking answers, but I'm afraid to talk to those around me because I'm terrified that they might throw the Lord in my face. I'm asking for some answers, please.

It may be that you do not belong among the ranks of Christianity. I would encourage you to do some study into the many other religions available, and to see what you resonate with the best. You may find that, for you there is not "one true way". ;)

Jacksnyte

Reverend
wow, what an interesting experience you are having with churches.

I wonder if your experience with the pentecostal churches has caused your fear. Many years ago my step father's mother came to stay with us...she was some kind of pentecostal...she was a scary woman!! When she started talking about the bible i remember how here eyes flared up and opened so wide they were like 2 golf balls sitting in her eye sockets. I was only young, but after all these years i can still see her so vividly.

These sorts of experiences can have long term effects on us. It could be that you've developed a phobia. That could explain the fear you feel...perhaps you relive those earlier visits to the pentecostal church and it triggers the fear in you. I have never seen people talking in tongues personally, but i've heard first hand accounts from people who have, and it is a very scary and abnormal thing that is going on.

I remember going to Southern Baptist revivals as a kid, and feeling something pulling me out of the pew, towards the front of the church against my will when the invitation was given. I felt manipulated and scared, and the "energy" flowing through the room felt oily and unclean. I felt this way many times in my Christian years. It always felt wrong and frightening to me. I later found the following article as an adult, and it explained a lot for me:
battlemind

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I remember going to Southern Baptist revivals as a kid, and feeling something pulling me out of the pew, towards the front of the church against my will when the invitation was given. I felt manipulated and scared, and the "energy" flowing through the room felt oily and unclean. I felt this way many times in my Christian years. It always felt wrong and frightening to me. I later found the following article as an adult, and it explained a lot for me:
battlemind

i've never been into a church like that, but i really do believe its more then hypnosis going on

there are accounts in the gospels where people were being controlled by demons (like puppets on strings) and the description is that they were being 'thrashed about and shaking' which is exactly what happens in those churches